Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
The first round qualifying match between Fuda and Henke went to 11-9 in the third with Fuda winning. I am assuming that was a long one?

·
Registered
19,297 Posts
What a great thread! I actually watched every horrifying moment of Sandrine/Conchita at Amelia Island. I didn't even get up to get a drink. God, I have to say, I loved it, everyone awful moment of it, I loved. Conchita got down like 0-40 on her serve like all the time, battled back to deuce, multiple deuces, then hold. Sandrine approached the net on simple, simple shots and botched 12 in a row. In a row. She got a standing ovation when on net approach No. 13, she hit a winner. This was no compliment from the crowd. They both were playing horribly. Anyway, Conchita got her revenge, Sandrine was so sore the next way, she could barely move and lost easily, to Anne Kremer I believe. But Conchita got her revenge on me, too. My ass was so sore from sitting on those wooden bleachers for 4 hours, I could barely walk either!

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
I saw a really long match once, but eventually termites got to it.

·
25,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
What a great thread! I actually watched every horrifying moment of Sandrine/Conchita at Amelia Island. I didn't even get up to get a drink. God, I have to say, I loved it, everyone awful moment of it, I loved. Conchita got down like 0-40 on her serve like all the time, battled back to deuce, multiple deuces, then hold. Sandrine approached the net on simple, simple shots and botched 12 in a row. In a row. She got a standing ovation when on net approach No. 13, she hit a winner. This was no compliment from the crowd. They both were playing horribly. Anyway, Conchita got her revenge, Sandrine was so sore the next way, she could barely move and lost easily, to Anne Kremer I believe. But Conchita got her revenge on me, too. My ass was so sore from sitting on those wooden bleachers for 4 hours, I could barely walk either!
It's always fun hearing from someonw who was there. LOL at Sandrine finally getting it right

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Müller d. Birnerova 7-6(7) 4-6 6-1 Budapest QF 3 hrs 10.
(If we take off the 10-minute-long bathroom break after the first set, and the 10 min. heat break between the last 2 sets that come under 3 hrs. Decide Guys!)

·
Registered
9,625 Posts
2006 Acura Classic Rd2 Emma Laine def. Elena Vesnina 7-6 6-7 6-4 3h20min

·
Registered
824 Posts
2007 Australian Open Second Round
Maria Elena Camerin (ITA) d. Elena Vesnina (RUS) 4-6, 6-3, 8-6
First set took 49 minutes
Second set took 57 minutes
Third set took 78 minutes
Total of 3 hours 4 minutes

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
2 Very long matches betweeen Billie Jean King and Mary Ann Eisel in 1967.

Week of February 6
New England Women's Invitational Indoor Tennis Championships, Salem, Massachusetts
King(1) lost to Mary Ann Eisel [4] 6-4, 5-7, 11-9

Week of July 31
Eastern Grass Court Championships, South Orange, New Jersey
King (1) d. Mary Ann Eisel [4] 13-11, 3-6, 6-2

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Week of August 5, 1963
Wightman Cup, Cleveland, Ohio

Clay
Billie Jean King d. Christine Truman Janes 6-4, 19-17 (46 games, same number as the King-Court 1970 Wimbledon final)

Week of August 10, 1964
Essex County Club Invitational, Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts

Grass
Final: Billie Jean King [1] d. Karen Hantze Susman [2] 6-4, 4-6, 11-9 (40 games)

Week of March 3, 1969
International Pro Tennis Invitational, The Forum, Los Angeles
Indoor
Final: Billie Jean King d. Ann Haydon Jones 17-15, 6-3 (41 games)

Week of June 9, 1969
Wills Open, Bristol, United Kingdom

Grass
SF: Billie Jean King d. Virginia Wade 6-8, 11-9, 6-2 (42 games)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Not an exceptionally long match in terms of games, but I thought I'd post it because of its exceptionally unusual score:

1909 U.S. Women's Indoor Championships
Final
Marie Wagner d. Elisabeth Moore 6-0, 12-14, 6-0 (38 games)

This was a rematch of their 1907 final at this tournament, when Moore defeated Wagner 6–2, 4–6, 6–2. Wagner was the defending champion in 1909. She won a total of 6 singles titles at the U.S. Women's Indoor Championships, more than anyone else.

The 1941 final at this tournament saw Pauline Betz Addie defeat Dorothy Bundy Cheney 6–1, 10–12, 6–2 (37 games).

41 - 60 of 87 Posts