Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Adrianna Outlaw
05/26/2003

A native of Cherbourg, France, Emilie Loit lists Paris as her favorite city to visit. Today, the 23-year-old Loit looked like a life-long Roland Garros resident and her assortment of spins and slices left Elena Likhovtseva feeling like a lost tourist stranded in a foreign street without a roadmap for relief.

Thrilling the French crowd with her exuberance and effort, Loit scored the first upset of the day, defeating the 29th-seeded Likhovtseva, 6-3, 6-2 to reach the Roland Garros second round.

Though she has never surpassed the third round in her six prior Parisian appearances, Loit has a habit of playing first-rate tennis in the first round of Grand Slams. In January, she pushed top-ranked Serena Williams to the edge of elimination in the opening round of the Australian Open before falling, 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 7-5.

The surface and opponent were different today, but the left-handed Loit used the same tactics in dismissing Likhovtseva.

Alternating a scoop, slice backhand with a firm forehand that danced off the surface of the court with more exuberant zeal than revelers at a rave, Loit consistently confused the Russian, who hit only nine winners on the day and did not break serve in the match. In contrast, Loit lashed 21 winners and converted four of her seven break-point opportunities.

Loit lists clay as her favorite surface and will have the opportunity to showcase her skills again in the second round when she will play either Thailand’s Tamarine Tanasugarn or Columbia’s Fabiola Zuluaga.

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
That's another really nice win for her! but in order to defend all her points from last year, she'll have to take out Fabiola Zuluaga, who she's 0-2 against. I think it'll be a tough match either way.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Emilie was hitting very well, she seems to have a new found confidence after the match with Serena. I think she might even upset Amelie, if she is in the right frame of mind.

·
Premium Member
19,755 Posts
dava_russianrule said:
Emilie was hitting very well, she seems to have a new found confidence after the match with Serena. I think she might even upset Amelie, if she is in the right frame of mind.
Sorry dava but I don't think she will upset Amelie.

·
Premium Member
181,840 Posts
Elena hurt herself in 2nd and stopped running for balls too :( :sad:

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
I like the girl, good for her.... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts