·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ljubicic backs off his anti-Roddick rant
August 31, 2003

AFP - Aug 31, 2:34 am EDT
More Photos

NEW YORK (AFP) - Croatia's Ivan Ljubicic backed off his rant against the crowd-baiting antics of Andy Roddick here at the US Open after a pair of conversations with the fourth-seeded American.

"For sure I would take everything back," Ljubicic said Saturday. "I don't think I said something bad about Andy as a person. I didn't say he was ugly."

Ljubicic said Roddick's behavoir was unsportsmanlike, intimidated linesmen and umpires into seeing calls his way, that no players like him and that his seeding is aided by playing most of his events on US soil.

"Every single player said to me, 'Good luck. Kick his ass,'" Ljubicic said after losing their third-round match early Saturday morning. "I don't like him. Nobody in the locker room likes his acting on the court."

That post-match tirade sparked a late-night telephone call from Roddick seeking an explanation.

"I was surprised by Andy's call. It was pretty late," Ljubicic said. "It was a long talk. He wanted to hear what it was all about. He thought I had some problem with him personally. We're OK. Everything ended pretty normal.

"As I was surprised by his phone call, he was surprised by the things he thought I said. He was not angry with me. For sure I have nothing against Andy as a person. I hope he's going all the way. He's playing great."

Ljubicic said he was not apologizing, saying that Roddick said he had nothing to apologize for.

"Why should I apologize? I'm not going to apologize to anyone," Ljubicic said. "The way he acts on the court doesn't show respect for opponents. I don't like his antics on the court. I talked to some players about it.

"If I said nobody (likes him), I made a mistake."

Ljubicic said Roddick told him, "If you really don't feel anything bad about me, why should you apologize?" But Ljubicic admitted his words overshadowed their four-set match, which he lost after a controversial tie-break line call.

"That's maybe the only thing I can apologize to Andy about, that we're not talking about a great match."

Roddick, in a statement, said he had put the matter behind him.

"I had a good conversation with Ivan," Roddick said. "I think we both had the chance to clear the air and I know last night's incident is behind us."

Both Thailand's Paradorn Srichaphan and Australia's Lleyton Hewitt backed Roddick after the criticism by Ljubicic.

"Andy seems fine with me," Hewitt said. "I've never had a problem with him. He hangs around with most of the young American guys anyway. I don't know him that well. I've never had a problem with anything he's done on the court."

"Andy is my great good friend," Paradorn said. "He's all right. Most of the people like him."

Updated on Sunday, Aug 31, 2003

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Good to hear the air is being cleared...

I had a feeling that Ivan wasn't being totally honest...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
omg! It's as if the FBI and the CIA were put on the case. :rolleyes:
Were all the players investigated about their thoughts on Andy? :rolleyes:

·
Banned
5,053 Posts
Seles said:
"Every single player said to me, 'Good luck. Kick his ass,'" Ljubicic said after losing their third-round match early Saturday morning. "I don't like him. Nobody in the locker room likes his acting on the court."
It's the past but I just can't stand people who are not able to express their opinions without involving other people like "every single player said to me", "nobody in the locker room...". Like, if he doesn't like Roddick's acting on the court, why doesn't he just say it and doesn't involve other players in the process? Weak.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
maybe he's a stirrer.

·
49,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it's sad it got the point it did. I think it's awful that Ljubicic's words ruined a very nice match - with high quality from both. However, I'm glad he seems to have brushed this off and acted like a bigger person.

·
Banned
5,053 Posts
I don't think it ruined the match, quite francky I think most people don't care about Ivan opinion about Roddick, he is not enough a signifiant figure on the ATP so that people will remember his words.

But if it was a player like Hewitt, Ferrero or Federer now that would be another story...

·
Banned
565 Posts
DA BACKHAND said:
You don't offend anyone, because no one care about your opinion.
if you're too slow to perceive that i was doing an impression of ivan making up some lame excuse for being unsporting then i can't help you.

·
Registered
32,416 Posts
DA BACKHAND said:
You don't offend anyone, because no one care about your opinion.
roddick did, he called ivan twice after the match, waking him up the second time

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
I wouldn't have apologized.
If I said it I meant it!

If he said it he obviously meant it but took it back(probably got pressured to apologize) because as we know
Roddick is the "Golden Child" and any who dare to oppose
him is severly thrashed! ;)

·
49,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe it's hard for me to be 100% unbiased, but I really saw nothing wrong with what Andy did. I've seen many much worse.

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
Seles said:
Maybe it's hard for me to be 100% unbiased, but I really saw nothing wrong with what Andy did. I've seen many much worse.
You may have seen much worse,
but do the commentators let it slide as much
as they do with the "Golden Child"?

I don't remember Pam Shriver laughing when Serena mouthed,
"You fucking bitch". As I remember, Pam said, "No sisterly love there".

I don't see what he did as all that bad either,
it's just the fact that he can get away with it more than others.
The commentators just chuckle and wow he's competitive and has personality. And yet Serena gets reemed because Martina didn't approve of the dirty looks she gave Amelie when she crushed her in Paris.

·
49,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not defending her... but to glare at an opponent like that is a little different than a fist-pump.

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
What interests me is the resolution.

Roddick called him, and they actually TALKED. And for a long time.

I try to imagine this between Justine and Serena, and I just can't. Kudos to both of these guys for ultimately handling this in a mature fashion.

·
49,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Volcana said:
What interests me is the resolution.

Roddick called him, and they actually TALKED. And for a long time.

I try to imagine this between Justine and Serena, and I just can't. Kudos to both of these guys for ultimately handling this in a mature fashion.
:worship: :bigclap:

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
Seles said:
I'm not defending her... but to glare at an opponent like that is a little different than a fist-pump.
It was more than a fist-pump.

But tell me how a menecing glare is bad?
If Amelie couldn't handle it she shouldn't be out there.
Serena intimidates her opponents w/o saying a word or an audiable word. ;)

·
49,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, I just meant Andy wasn't goading or chastising or intimidating directly to his opponent, whereas I believe Serena was trying to direct her actions towards Amelie. Just my opinion...and neither were over the line. I think stares and fistpumps and stuff are cool and fine. I would probably draw the line at hitting your opponent in the face with your racket though. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts