Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Paula's Wimbledon campaign coming to a close, let's welcome the US hard court season! No entry lists out yet, but potential tournaments are: one of San Jose or Washington, Toronto, Cincinnati, one of Cleveland or Granby (although hopefully she doesn't have to enter one of these), and concluding with the big one - the U.S. Open.

Let's hope for a successful swing for Paula!

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
#BackToHerRoots

Yeah, I'd expect a schedule of San Jose-Toronto-Cincy-USO, possibly skipping one of the W1000s if either of the first two events go well. She's never played a W250 since Belgrade, and barely missed a W500 in ages, so surely San Jose over Washington if she opts to play that week, and I doubt she'll play the week before the USO, unless the prior events are rather grim :unsure2:

I have noticed there's a 7 week gap now between the end of Wimbledon and the start of the USO when it's normally just 6, which slam moved to allow this to happen?

Probably no Paula for at least 4 weeks now, possibly 5, which will feel strange, but hopefully she can come back firing :cheer:

·
Registered
739 Posts
I guess it turned out OK for me personally that I missed her last match of the grass court season due to some Independence Day doubles with a few friends of mine from my old USTA team.

I was not happy to see how her last match finished up, but at least it was good to see this smile again earlier in the tournament:
Microphone Lip Chin Smile Public address system

Looking forward to an improved hard court season for Paula.

Her slump after Sydney seemed to be at least on par with how most everyone else (within the top 10) was playing except Iga and Ons.

So if during the break she can continue to work on improving the mental aspects of her game, she still has a really good shot of making it into the WTA Finals (wherever they are being held this year).

·
Rise up from ignorance
25,848 Posts
@Paullow Badosa Dates are the same as in 2016. Wimbledon has moved one week earlier this year. US Open still ends on the second Sunday of September (i.e. it never ends on Labour Day weekend).

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Officially confirmed in San Jose by the tournament

·
Rise up from ignorance
25,848 Posts
Gracheva has entered Warsaw :oh: (as the only Russian :lol2: ). I hope not to see Paula playing Gracheva this summer. Thanks! :spitrofl:

• Haha
Reactions: iGOAT and Luicine

·
Registered
10,614 Posts

Strong list, although probably be one or two withdrawals, but good she has entered. Still 4 weeks off, so can recharge, a chance to get something going, and if it is a relatively early exit, she'll have a bigger event just around the corner.

I do like the North American swing, always tennis late on into the evenings, although much prefer the east coast. Raducanu's SJ match with Zhang was on at like 3am here last year.

Reactions: ZenEric

·
Registered
2,679 Posts

Splendid news. I have fairly nice memories with this tournament when it comes to the players I root for, Dr.Buz's biggest title, Saisai's surprise and that Collins v. DashaK finals last year. Scary how time flies so fast when you use WTA Tournaments as bearings :lol2: The field is littered with heavy hitters who normally find do well in these pre-USO tournaments so will be interesting to see how Paula holds up against them this year.

And I second Paullow's opinion of the east coast being better. Much better atmosphere of tournaments in the east coast as well, Charleston is probably one of my favorite tournaments aesthetic-wise :oh: (Great social media management from that tournament too)

·
Registered
253 Posts
That list is brutal, could get Daria, Bianca, Veronica, Elena or Amanda in the first match already (assuming it's the same draw as in the previous years). The Russian/Belarussian crew will be fresh (though I think Daria has signed up for a few of 250s in the coming weeks), the schedule is such that everyone could give it a go here after a couple weeks of rest, should be fun.

·
Registered
Team Vika
48,015 Posts
I expected her to enter San Jose since she has entered every single 500 this year. Now that Wimbledon went fairly well, it's less necessary for her to play a 250 to gain form; I would still not be opposed but it seems very unlikely now and San Jose plus the two 1000 events should be enough for her, and if they're truly disastrous then she could always take a wildcard to that Cleveland event. I hope she can get a nice break and recovery these next few weeks and carry some confidence from Wimbledon.

I have been only semi offline the past few days but still have so much to catch up on in this sub-forum alone :lol2: I love how active we've made it though.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I expected her to enter San Jose since she has entered every single 500 this year. Now that Wimbledon went fairly well, it's less necessary for her to play a 250 to gain form; I would still not be opposed but it seems very unlikely now and San Jose plus the two 1000 events should be enough for her, and if they're truly disastrous then she could always take a wildcard to that Cleveland event. I hope she can get a nice break and recovery these next few weeks and carry some confidence from Wimbledon.

I have been only semi offline the past few days but still have so much to catch up on in this sub-forum alone :lol2: I love how active we've made it though.
She should enter Warszawa for Monz (and Gracheva) fan service :oh:

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
She's posted a couple more tennis / gym IG stories and a caption (in Spanish) of 'not even on Sundays they stop us, we keep working and preparing' followed by the US flag, so while it was always like 95% her next tournament would have been San Jose, I think that pretty much confirms it.

I thought since she got back on court / gym within a day or two of the Halep match there may have been a tiny chance of a late top 20 WC into a MM, but probably for the best since Wimbledon went better than most expected this time 2 or 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
Team Vika
48,015 Posts
I honestly think she can have a good hard court season ! I'm not sure where her mind is at and/or how much her opponents are figuring her out, but she seems motivated and she did well last summer (relative to expectations at the time, which were much lower than now, meaning she has good opportunities to pick up points). The summer tournaments can be very tough, but lots of players tend to be a bit burnt out during that period as well. She'll also be seeded highly throughout these events, which is obviously no guarantee at all on the WTA, but certainly can be helpful. She apparently has 50% of her points to defend for the rest of the year, almost all of which are from IW and YEC, so if she can play to her seeding then she'll be fine, but she will be in trouble if she doesn't do much until Guadalajara because even reaching the final or semifinal there would mean a lot of points lost.

Reactions: Luicine

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I honestly think she can have a good hard court season ! I'm not sure where her mind is at and/or how much her opponents are figuring her out, but she seems motivated and she did well last summer (relative to expectations at the time, which were much lower than now, meaning she has good opportunities to pick up points). The summer tournaments can be very tough, but lots of players tend to be a bit burnt out during that period as well. She'll also be seeded highly throughout these events, which is obviously no guarantee at all on the WTA, but certainly can be helpful. She apparently has 50% of her points to defend for the rest of the year, almost all of which are from IW and YEC, so if she can play to her seeding then she'll be fine, but she will be in trouble if she doesn't do much until Guadalajara because even reaching the final or semifinal there would mean a lot of points lost.
Yeah, I noticed that thread as well and Paula at a rather high spot on the list. This live ranking site I usually use has her at 2008 and they mark the qualification cut at 4630. That leaves her at 2622, a good amount of points, I'd say and even then, it's subject to how the others fare, no? She has options if the main NA Swing ends up being disastrous but that would make catching up significantly harder and Anett's miracle last year will probably be almost impossible to replicate.

So yeah, I'm hoping at least a good showing in one of the 1000s to begin with :unsure2:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I noticed that thread as well and Paula at a rather high spot on the list. This live ranking site I usually use has her at 2008 and they mark the qualification cut at 4630. That leaves her at 2622, a good amount of points, I'd say and even then, it's subject to how the others fare, no? She has options if the main NA Swing ends up being disastrous but that would make catching up significantly harder and Anett's miracle last year will probably be almost impossible to replicate.

So yeah, I'm hoping at least a good showing in one of the 1000s to begin with :unsure2:
It also depends on the year for how many points are needed to secure a YEC spot. Last year, the cutoff was 3096 points. 2019 was almost 4000 points though.

• Wow

·
Registered
Team Vika
48,015 Posts
No surprise but Paula is on the entry list for Toronto.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I guess the silver lining from the top players not participating in the July Clay swing (patent by @Skrndelj :oh: ), Danielle and Babchits are looking out of sorts, there's Dasha in Hamburg but I have a feeling she won't be breaking grounds much probably the biggest threat is Belinda but I think she's going to end up qualifying for the Finals either way.

Though as always I'm hoping that July Clay will be the time of the year for the lower-ranked players to get some share of the pie so I won't be too opposed with situations mirroring that of last year, this time round with the added Paula factor as well :lol2:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I got burned a bit today, two of my girls in the finals after 84 years, and then...😭

Just realised both of them have a positive h2h to Paula 😭 (Olga got 2-1, and that one loss was when she won a title as LL). Let's avoid that 🤣

·
Registered
Team Vika
48,015 Posts
I got burned a bit today, two of my girls in the finals after 84 years, and then...😭

Just realised both of them have a positive h2h to Paula 😭 (Olga got 2-1, and that one loss was when she won a title as LL). Let's avoid that 🤣
Wow that's actually hilarious and kind of epic that Paula is the one who beat Olga during her run to that title. You brought it up in the Discord but I think I misunderstood and thought you meant that Olga had beaten her en route.

I also had to reread the first sentence of your post because at first I thought you meant you had got literally burned (assuming from the sun) and that you were talking about having two daughters playing finals somewhere :lol2: I am disappointed Olga couldn't win another title but I wasn't expecting her to and I thought she did play pretty well until she kind of faded out at the end (which I had been expecting to happen much sooner this week anyway due to all that tape on her leg). I hope she is back to stay.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts