Tennis Forum banner

Live Commentary Thread Vol.156

9M views 291K replies 1K participants last post by  kerope 
Misaki is playing amazing right now, it looked like she got broken when serving at 5-3 (both players begun their walk to the chair), but hawk eye shows the ball a mm in. Juvan, however, is still adamant during the changeover that the ball was far long. 6-3 for Misaki now.
I'm not saying that technology is 100% perfect, but I watched the double of Juvan/Zidansek vs Hradecka/Bouzkova and in the tie-break there at like 1-4 she did the same thing, complaining about a decision made by the umpire (they did have no video proof there). Maybe it's just to make her feel better as in "it wasn't my fault I lost that point". After the match she said in an interview that the others were simply better at the end.

You forgot to mention that she successfully returned the ball, but also vocally called for the hawkeye. She could have continued playing that point if she had not called in the hawk eye and potentially won. I'm not even sure she "complains" on purpose, she is a nice player it might be just unconscious to keep morale up and stay in game and redirect the blame from herself.

Yeah does not even look like she's trying lol
Kenin had an incredibly mentally and physically taxing game yesterday, whereas Barty had a day off. These are not similar conditions to play the game, it is a massive advantage for Barty. I'm not saying a fresh Kenin would win, but it would be a better match from her for sure. Also she had the crowd against her both yesterday and today which just adds to it.

After a big fight and great match in set 1+set 2, Kudermetova cruised through set 3 with 6-0. Potapova was out of energy it seemed, she also stopped screaming at each shot that she normally does in the last 4 games. Kudermetova will face winner of Petkovic/Osaka next.

I understand Naomi's thinking playing Melbourne, she wants to ease back into match play and I think that's why she chose this tournament but I think Adelaide would have been better for her. She's gonna have to face the top players, her equal peers in 3 weeks anyway, why not face them now? I know she takes defeat hard but facing them early would maybe have helped her get over the anxiety of a loss.
I think she would have been seeded in a way where it would be possible to face someone like Barty pretty early in the tournament. And you don't want to go out early in a tournament when trying to ease back into it, it would ruin her confidence. Sure in Melbourne she only has free games and it won't make her any better but it will make her feel good and strong at least (and her level from 2 years ago would be enough to be a top contender at AO anyway).

Anisimova-Kasatkina starting in 20 mins. Both have played very well so far, easily top 20 level and much higher than what their current WTA ranking would suggest. Very even odds from bookkeepers.

Yup, VJK plays better, but Coco has the experience and it shows when it matters the most.
I don't think it's the experience that's keeping Coco in the game. Coco just serves and strikes powerful, and the fragile 16-year old girl just doesn't have enough strength and power to return the balls. If it was purely about skill, she would win for sure but she just isn't physically matured yet like other 16-year old girls are. This is probably the biggest opponent of her career so far (former top 10) and she will learn a lot from that game at least. VJK should be top 10 herself in a few years if she keeps playing and progressing at her rate.

16-year old Victoria Jimenez Kasintseva destroys former world top 10 Coco Vandeweghe. Coco did not even offer the young girl a handshake at the end, just the racquet and quickly left. Seemed to be quite upset over losing to a girl half her age.

Well it doesn't help Rybakina to get 0 support from the crowd while Barty gets everything. When Iga was playing vs Barty the crowd supported both players, I don't know what Rybakina has done to not deserve anything, maybe it's because it's about the title now.

Rybakina keeps missing her first serve and gets punished. She's making some poor UEs as well.
Exactly, she is not serving as well as she did usual. She started the match fine, but after she missed 2 break points started playing a lot worse. Also missed an easy volley. This is all in the head. For Barty, this is just a game like any other. For Rybakina, this would be the first WTA 500 title.