Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone can list any more of most future recognizable (18 yrs-old and under) young guns to watch out in the WTA? I bet Eggy has the most under his belt! ;) :wavey:

Born in 1984
Karolina Sprem (this is for you, Rtael :) )

Born in 1985
Anna-Lena Groenefeld(GER)
Ashley Harkleroad(USA)
Myriam Casanova(SUI)
Shadisha Robinson(USA)
Elke Clijsters(BEL)

Born in 1986
Barbara Strycova(CZE)
Dinara Safina(RUS)
Vera Douchevina(RUS)
Ally Baker(USA)
Jamea Jackson(USA)

Born in 1987
Maria Kirilenko(RUS)
Maria Sharapova(RUS)
Jarmila Gajdosova(SVK)

Born in 1988
Tatiana Golovin(FRA)
Viktoria Kutuzova(UKR)

Born in 1989
Alisa Kleybanova(RUS)
Michaela Krajicek(NED)
Nicole Vaidisova(CZE)
Julia Cohen(USA)

Born in 1990
Stephanie Herz(NED)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
SPREM she's still 18 for now =P

·
Banned
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Updated for you, Rtael ;)

·
7,996 Posts
Woohoo! I don't think anyone's actually done anything just for ME!!!!!! before! =D

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Jarmila Gajdosova....born in 1987.

·
Banned
59 Posts
u missed too many people,
Bartoli, Widjaja etc..
and all these people are heard over and over again,
it's getting redundant for me now.......:rolleyes:
and not all of them will get into TOP 10,
so what's the point.........

i would just wait till they hit TOP 50 or
something like that like Vera Z......
else i dont relaly care too much about them

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
i don't think the 1985 group is all that strong and the 1989's and younger need to develop before we can predict or expect anything from them.

the 1985 group has some good players but none that will really do much on the tour in terms of being a top gun.

Groenefeld hasn't really done anything on the tour and at her age you would expect her to be in at least the top 100 if she is going to be a top player (although i haven't seen her play so...).

Ashley Harkleroad, well she just made that great run so she certainly has the talent to be top 15 or top 10 but we have to see what she does next (hopefully she isn't another stevenson who lost it after her first big result).

Myriam Casanova is a talent but hasn't even made a run like harkleroad yet, but she has won a tournament but she hasn't really made much progress since last year we'll have to wait and see with her.

Shadisha Robinson i think she might have troubles even staying in the top 100.

Elke Clijsters don't know much about her but she doesn't look to promising at the moment.

i think the 1986 group is the strongest, they all have great potential except for maybe jackson who i haven't seen yet. the other 4 all have huge potential but i think baker drops off a bit from the other 3 but she still has good potential.

the 87's are looking ok at the moment although i think sharapova and kirilenko have hit a small bump gajdosova has only just started playing the pro tour so she isn't at the stage of the other 2 but she had a good start. i don't quite see kirilenko as a top top talent but more like one of those players who sits in the #20 to #30 region of the rankings.

golovin and kutuzova are looking good, golovin seems to play better on the wta tour than the challenger circuit which is surprising, she's challenged tough top 50 players in the wta but when she plays challengers she can't even reach the semis or final. i'm excited about kutuzova playing in the wta and to follow her path hopefully she can have a good rise up the ranks.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
but i think some players are being forgotten such as Krysty Marcio (USA) who is 15 in may (1988) and was runner up at this years banana bowl (grade A), won the pony malta cup (grade 1) this year and was runner up at a grade 2 event this year and is ranked 16.

Agnes Szavay (HUN), 15 in december (1988) winner of a grade 1 this year and SF at the banana bowl, rank #36 and is 15 in december this year.

Yung Jan Chan (TPE), 14 in august (1989). SF at a grade B2 event dec last year, winner of a grade 2 this year and SF at a grade one this year.

Timea Bacsinszky (SUI) 14 in june this year (1989). runner up at a grade 1 last year, QF at coffee bowl (grade 1) last year and runner up at a grade 2 this year.

Sanja Ancic (CRO) 15 in july (1988), 2 time QF at two different grade 1's last year and a SF at a grade A event last year.

Tara Iyer (IND) 15 in july (1988), QF at a grade B2 event last year and runner up this year at a grade 1 event.

Sesil Karatancheva (BUL) 14 in august (1989), QF at a grade 1 this year.

these players are all in the top 100 in juniors at being there at such a young age makes them look like good prospects in the future for the wta tour and they have all bee in a grade 1 QF or higher.

·
25,925 Posts
Gowza said:
Sesil Karatancheva (BUL) 14 in august (1989), QF at a grade 1 this year.

Tzvetana Pironkova is another talant among the Bulgarians... ;)
She is born in 1987 and last week defeated world's 125th player Obziler (ISR)
Watch out for her ;)

:bounce:

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Viktoriya Azarenko (BLR) 1989 Har 16 wins of 17 matchesso far this year, though mainly in Grade 3 and 4

Sania Mirza (IND) 1986

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Svetlana Kuznetsova is part of the 1985 group.
(Always remember this cause we were born one day apart :angel: )

Reactions: JonBcn

·
Registered
36,489 Posts
Gowza said:
Timea Bacsinszky (SUI) 14 in june this year (1989). runner up at a grade 1 last year, QF at coffee bowl (grade 1) last year and runner up at a grade 2 this year.
ooh yes, watch out for TIMEA!!! :D

·
Registered
24,822 Posts
and what about Monica Niculescu and Delia Sescioreanu :lick:

Elke Clijsters :rolleyes: she hasnt achieved anything yet :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts