Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't know this until recently, but...

For the past TWELVE years (1997-2008), Lisa has reached at least one Grand Slam semifinal or better in doubles.

She's reached a Grand Slam doubles semifinal or better for 16 of the 17 years she's been a professional on the WTA Tour

The only active player who comes close to matching that streak is Cara Black, who's reached a semifinal every year since 2000.

She's won at least one WTA title in doubles EVERY year she's been a professional on the WTA Tour (17). She's only four years away from tying Navratilova's record of 21 consecutive years in that department.

Pretty amazing stuff :worship:

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
It's so sad that people generally don't care about doubles, and I'm not particularly sure why that is either:confused: . I'd bet more people play doubles regularly than singles, certainly it would be close, don't you think? Doubles is also a faster paced game because there's so much net action. Maybe it's just that tennis is seen as an individual sport and that having a team aspect takes away from its uniqueness? Idk but it's sad that great players like Lisa Raymond will likely be forgotten to posterity.

Also sad that no top players play doubles regularly. Thank God for the Williams sisters, who at least make an effort to play the top tournaments together in doubles. Seriously I am so grateful for them. They are such lovely women. What a story. I am sad I was stupid, whiney, immature and short-sighted at 13-16 (what a shock!) and didn't appreciate them when they were at their height.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
This one hell of record and it says something for the older players playing on in doubles once their singles careers go south. I never knew Lisa has been playing for that long. It is sad the people don't give a crap about doubles as it great to watch top flight doubles. When I used to go to the Australian open I really enjoyed watching the doubles and the mixed it was fun to watch. Lindsay and who ever she was playing with but doubles none the less.

·
Winner
14,940 Posts
Oh yeah, Lisa Raymond is one of the highest achieving and greatest tennis players of the open era for sure. :worship:

I hope she does break Navratilova's record there. She really is such a high class doubles player.

It's so sad that people generally don't care about doubles, and I'm not particularly sure why that is either:confused: . I'd bet more people play doubles regularly than singles, certainly it would be close, don't you think? Doubles is also a faster paced game because there's so much net action. Maybe it's just that tennis is seen as an individual sport and that having a team aspect takes away from its uniqueness? Idk but it's sad that great players like Lisa Raymond will likely be forgotten to posterity.

Also sad that no top players play doubles regularly. Thank God for the Williams sisters, who at least make an effort to play the top tournaments together in doubles. Seriously I am so grateful for them. They are such lovely women. What a story. I am sad I was stupid, whiney, immature and short-sighted at 13-16 (what a shock!) and didn't appreciate them when they were at their height.
The top players do play doubles. Here they are:
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/rankings/doubles_numeric.asp

Some of the top singles players might not play doubles, but tbh I'd much rather see Black and Huber play doubles than Sharapova and Jankovic. :shrug: They are, of course, much more able doubles players.

and yes, doubles in general might not be appreciated by most casual fans, but that doesn't mean it's any less important or significant in a player's career. I for one will not forget Lisa Raymond, and neither will the record books.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Lisa is a ROCKSTAR!!!

I have been a long-time fan of my fellow Pennsylvanian, and all I can say is that Lisa is a class-act!

Dedication. Talent. Humility. Patriotism (even when her country did not support her). Humor.

Lisa is an American original, and I have nothing but the most sincere support for her!

·
Registered
47,545 Posts
Nice achievement...how many doubles majors does she have?

·
Registered
21,146 Posts
Interesting stats, thanks. Well done Lisa!

·
Registered
21,146 Posts
From http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=300483

1/ Lisa RAYMOND (USA)

67 titles : 2008 - Memphis, New Haven ; 2007 - Tokyo [Pan Pacific], Indian Wells, Miami, Berlin, Eastbourne ; 2006 - Roland Garros, Tokyo [Pan Pacific], Memphis, Indian Wells, Miami, Charleston, Stuttgart, Linz, Hasselt, Season-Ending Championships 2005 - US Open, Season-Ending Championships, New Haven, Luxembourg, Moscow, Eastbourne ; 2004 - Vienna, Philadelphia; 2003 - Indian Wells, Amelia Island, Eastbourne, Stanford, Filderstadt, Philadelphia ; 2002 - Sydney, Tokyo [Pan Pacific], Scottsdale, Indian Wells, Miami, Charleston, Eastbourne, Stanford, Filderstadt; 2001 - Wimbledon, US Open, Season-Ending Championships, Tokyo [Pan Pacific], Scottsdale, Charleston, Eastbourne, Filderstadt, Zurich; 2000 - Australian Open, Rome, Madrid, San Diego ; 1999 - Oklahoma City, New Haven, Zurich, Moscow, Philadelphia ; 1998 - Hannover, Boston ; 1997 - Québec City, Philadelphia ; 1996 - Chicago, Philadelphia ; 1995 - Indian Wells ; 1994 - Indian Wells ; 1993 - Tokyo [Nichirei]
31 finals : 2009 - Paris [Indoors] ; 2008 - Wimbledon, US Open , Tokyo [Pan Pacific]; 2007 – Zurich ; 2006 – Australian Open, New Haven ; 2005 – Miami, Philadelphia 2004 – Charleston, New Haven ; 2003 – Tokyo [Pan Pacific], Scottsdale, San Diego ; 2002 – Roland Garros ; 2001 – Sydney, Miami, Madrid ; 2000 – Eastbourne, Philadelphia ; 1999 – Amelia Island, Los Angeles ; 1998 – Hilton Head, Birmingham, Moscow ; 1997 – Australian Open, Indian Wells, Roland Garros ; 1995 – Quebec City ; 1994 – Roland Garros, Los Angeles

·
Registered
47,545 Posts
5 majors?! Hmmmm...

·
Registered
47,545 Posts

·
Registered
47,545 Posts

·
La Divina Assoluta
11,290 Posts
The keys to her longevity are her extradionary hands and reflexes. Yes as she's got older, the serve has declined a tad and her return maybe isnt so sharp, but her first volley is incredible, particulary on the backhand. Reminds me of the BJK backhand volley, with the textbook extension of the right arm in front of the racquet, and the left arm spread out for balance. Technically so sound.

Her singles game wasnt too shabby either. That match against Venus (even though she lost) in '06 at Wimby, was one of the best displays of the serve-volley game that i've seen for some time.

·
Veelieve!!!
32,848 Posts
Her career in doubles is outstanding. However when she got out of college early, she was touted as the next great American. It's disappointing that she couldn't live up to all the hype as far as her singles career :shrug:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts