Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imagine this scenario.
If Sharapova was in the same situation as Bacsinszky, would the Linz tournament director and the WTA deny her a WC shutting down her door to the YEC?

What about if Azarenka, Ivanovic or Venus Williams were in that same situation?

Let's discuss...

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
No. But Martha wouldn't do that.

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
Of course not :lol:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sharapova couldn't play there with a WC because Linz can only have 1 top 10 player in the draw. ;)
I said same situation: coming back from long injury/hiatus, climbing up the ranking (not being a top 10 player) and falling 20 points short of qualification.
Sharapova was in an almost similar situation in 2009, with the big difference that she wasn't 20 points from qualification and a WC in Linz wouldn't have made much of a difference

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Ivanovic could be really in this situation and she would be definitely awarded a WC because she is VIP :inlove:

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
If Sharapova asked for a WC for Linz or any other MM tourney they'd roll out the red carpet for her and screw over whoever were in the way of this.
Bingo.

Sharapova is one the biggest stars of the game, she can get anything she wants. Venus and Serena as well. That's how it goes.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If Sharapova asked for a WC for Linz or any other MM tourney they'd roll out the red carpet for her and screw over whoever were in the way of this.
Bingo.

Sharapova is one the biggest stars of the game, she can get anything she wants. Venus and Serena as well. That's how it goes.
That's probably the reality, although I find it quite disconcerting.

Shouldn't ranking points, qualification criterias, tournament registration rules be the same for everybody?

·
Registered
19,296 Posts

Shouldn't ranking points, qualification criterias, tournament registration rules be the same for everybody?
Yes, but tournaments need to sell tickets to make money or they go under. I used to go to Amelia Island all the time to see our gals, and it was a fantastic tournament, but when the big names stopped coming, and the tour changed, it failed. These women earned their legendary status on the tour, non-star players are not being screwed over for a model. It's not like 10 players get screwed over for one player; one borderline players gets screwed over for one player.

·
Premium Member
13,968 Posts
Imagine this scenario.
If Sharapova was in the same situation as Bacsinszky, would the Linz tournament director and the WTA deny her a WC shutting down her door to the YEC?

What about if Azarenka, Ivanovic or Venus Williams were in that same situation?

Let's discuss...
Bacsinszky hasn't got the drawing power of Sharapova, Azarenka or Venus, so the organizers have nothing to gain by giving her a WC. And those organizers' main concern is their own gig, not Bacsinszky or the YEC.

·
SharaFamily
21,398 Posts
If Sharapova was in the situation as Bacsinszky

I'm quite sure Maria won't play, she won't ask for a WC a week before YEC to gain point for YEC and believe me no way she will play Zhuhai in that situation

She will end up year in Beijing

Because she is Maria Sharapova

·
Registered
25,215 Posts

WIldcards are there for the tournaments, not the players.

The whole idea is to give the tournament a chance to invite players that THEY think will help their tournament. That could anybody from a wealthy patron's pampered daughter, to a popular local player, to one of the superstars of the tour. It's considered fair to the tournament that they have some say over who get into the tournament.

Remember, tennis was historically invitation. The tournament directors used to have total control over who gets in. Now that control has been reduced to a couple wildcards.

Ask yourself this. Suppose some wealthy donor offered to pay the entire cost of surfacing all the courts at Linz, and putting a roof on the main stadium. All Linz has to do is let his no-talent daughter into the tournament. That's what wildcards are for.

Reactions: bajantoo
1 - 20 of 53 Posts