Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Q. Could you handicap the rest of the tournament?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: It's getting very interesting. Most of the Top 8 seeds are left. Obviously, the great match-up with Serena and Amelie. I think, you know, I was really looking at Mauresmo and Justine for their play here on the clay. We'll just see if they can deal with the pressure and get through to win that first Slam. They seem like they're the best clay-courters out there.
I think it's only a matter of time that Kim comes through and wins a Slam. I think she's too good a player and wants it too bad.
But, I mean, it's kind of up to Serena. I mean, if she's playing well, doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of people that can beat her. If she is not playing well, one of those girls will get enough balls back to win. So I kind of think it's in her hands.

Q. Can you analyze the Serena-Amelie match? What do you expect to see? Did you watch them play when Amelie beat her?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: No. At the States we get no matches that are played in Europe on TV. It seemed like there were some really great, close matches.
There's two things. If Serena is playing at the top of her game, I think it's very tough for anyone to beat her. Also, you know, Amelie has said in the past she's felt a lot of pressure here playing in France. It seems like so far this tournament, she's handling it better.
You know, she needs to go out there and play some of her best tennis. If she can do it here, she's going to do it in the next round.

Reactions: maccardel

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
OK now. Don't go hating on Lindsay everyone because she thinks that Serena is in control of her (and the other girls') destiny. Lindsay just saying it like it is! :p

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
That seems pretty arrogant of LD to say that about Serena. She's totally disregarded Serena's other opponents, and she acts like Serena doesn't. . . blah. . .blah. . .blah. . . LOL!!!!!

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Everything about this match says it gonna be tough- the fact its on clay, the fact she lost to mauresmo and the fact its front of a french crowd. Serena can still win but its foolish to think mauresmo doesnt have a real chance to beat her- if serena plays like she did the last time they played (and there is nothing to say she wont)- then she could lose again. I agree serena is the favourite and i expect her to come out firing winners and grunting like monica possessed, but if she cant keep it up for the whole match like she didnt in rome then mauresmo can take advantage of that. Williams fans didnt think vera was ready or capable to take out venus and she did, in her first match against her (i think). Its gonna be close to call but i give serena 60/40 of winning this one.

·
Registered
720 Posts
It's not going to be an easy match for serena. But can people stop comparing serena to Venus. Based on the past year and results, they are cleary different: motivation, playing style etc

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
that Lindsay is so arrogant!

It truly is in Serena's hands... if she lets Amelie in like last time, she's out. If she seals the deal and plays the awesome tennis we all know she can, she's in. I can't wait until tomorrow. I have goose bumps and it's 84 degrees over here!

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
Cari,
I know what you mean. People at my job are wondering why I all of a sudden "took ill" and won't be in to work tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Having the game to beat mauresmo off court doesnt mean that the match is in your hands. Many players have the game to do well, its if they bring it too the court that matters- it doesnt matter if serena can hit all for corners and run as fast a cheetah- if she doesnt do it on the court at the right time, then the match isnt in her hands at all.

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
Pureracket said:
Cari,
I know what you mean. People at my job are wondering why I all of a sudden "took ill" and won't be in to work tomorrow.
haha, I swear I'm skipping my first class tomorrow to watch an IBM scoreboard... :devil: It's the first day of school... so whatever!

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
this thread has turned into a serena vs. amelie match analysis, when in fact, let the truth be told, like i said before, fans of faves serena beats, ignore the obvious.

let me say this again in this thread.

Players know Serena is the only person that can beat serena. they've said it and keep saying it, this thread is just more proof.

Commentators continue to say it, and have said it for not only Serena but venus as well over the past two years.

Fans of faves Serena continues to beat, or Fans that don't like Serena, continue to take these comments as B.S. from serena. And don't want to accept the fact that it really is all in the hands of serena williams

:rolleyes: b/c everyone keeps ignoring the obvious, and now this thread has completely shifted from the topic at had regarding Linsday D's comments about serena being the only 1 out there beating her, to what the serena vs. amelie match is going to be about.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
another thing, there is two levels at which serena can beat amelie with.

As you saw with the first set in Rome, Serena was ruthless and killed her. Then she backed up some, and Amelie was in the match more than she was in that first set, but she wasn't really in it. Serena served for the match and a score of 6-1 6-4, but didn't get it done, and eventually lost 6-4 in the third. having said that, serena you can say droped her level a couple of times. 1 time in the second set, amelie had gotten into the match, but still couldn't lost. then serena dropped again, and that allowed amelie to really get into the match and actually make it a match. that is what you all have to understand. as well as amelie started to play, even though serena did drop her level a bit, the match was still very close. 1 its hard to raise your level against someone like serena, and 2 the way amelie is sounding, with "hopes" more than a drive and desire to go out and play the way she did in the second and third set, she is basically defeated in the lockeroom.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
The arrogance of Lindsay Davenport I am so HORRIFIED and of course SHOCKED to no end... Shame, Shame on that rude Lindsay. For shame.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
We were commenting on mauresmo vs serena cos in the extract one of the questions was about how will amelie fare against serena. and i cant be assed to go over this again, but if serena doesnt play her best she will lose, like venus and Jenn before her who didnt play there best and lost, serena will lose to amelie.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Dawn Marie said:
The arrogance of Lindsay Davenport I am so HORRIFIED and of course SHOCKED to no end... Shame, Shame on that rude Lindsay. For shame.
Lol dawnie baby......but what really get me about some people is that she has always been right on in her comments. Why is it that she is so accurate about the game of Serena Williams that all of a sudden folks are liking Lindsay huh?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts