Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to an ap article, Davenport says that the win motivated her to keep going, and Venus said that she's not worried about the result, and that she's satisfied her shots will go in by the Olympics and the Open.

sports.yahoo.com/ten
(my copy/paste isn't working, so I couldn't post the article)

·
Banned
589 Posts
Well, Lindsay has been retiring/playing for another few years/retiring/playing for another few years/retiring for about a year now. Whenever she wins she wants to continue, when she doesn't ... ;)

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,117 Posts
I wonder how match their attidude would have changed isfsome few more of Venus's shots did go in..

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Talking about Venus' missed opportunities is futile. Look at Lindsay. She had just as many break chances as Venus, not to mention 5 break points in the opening game.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
You know you gotta hand it to Lindsay just when you think shes retired mentally she bounces back.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
SerenaVenusNo1 said:
Well, Lindsay has been retiring/playing for another few years/retiring/playing for another few years/retiring for about a year now. Whenever she wins she wants to continue, when she doesn't ... ;)
Too true. :lol: And she has admitted as such. She is very "streaky" when talking about her retirement plans and it always seems to change depending on her mood. Unsurprisingly, this win has given her some more hope and reason to continue her career.

In my opinion, it all hinges on her body. If she can finish out this season playing all the tournaments that she wants at full health, then she WILL play 2005. There's not much doubt in my mind about that. But when you see her with these knee and wrist struggles, it's easy to worry about her body's capabilities. I'd like to see Davenport play for another year or two, but I'm not so sure her body will allow her to.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Leo_DFP said:
Too true. :lol: And she has admitted as such. She is very "streaky" when talking about her retirement plans and it always seems to change depending on her mood. Unsurprisingly, this win has given her some more hope and reason to continue her career.

In my opinion, it all hinges on her body. If she can finish out this season playing all the tournaments that she wants at full health, then she WILL play 2005. There's not much doubt in my mind about that. But when you see her with these knee and wrist struggles, it's easy to worry about her body's capabilities. I'd like to see Davenport play for another year or two, but I'm not so sure her body will allow her to.
Funny you mention that. A few days ago I was surprised to see an article about her in the daily paper. It was fairly lengthy, which was the shock. But anyway, it was discussing her Wimbledon comments and her potential retirement. In it they quoted Davenport as saying that her surgically repaired knee was wearing away and almost "shot". She says she has degeneration in it. So ... the body won't be willing forever, I don't think.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Lindsay, a 3 set tanker, that seems like some bullshit now, right? ;).

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
I agree with Venus and Lindsay.....Linday dont need to retire...I think Lindsay can beat any Russian and the Belgiums. Venus is already improving I was impressed with some of her forehands that she was fireing in the 3rd set....she starting to return balls back from bit hitters like she was a last year. She should be ready for the Olympics and the Open. ;) She just need to get that serve back rocketing acrosss the net ;)

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,117 Posts
mboyle said:
Lindsay hasn't beaten a Belgian since 2002 i believe.
Your belief is wrong. Lindsay beat a Belgian at last US Open.

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Wasn't it just 2 years ago that Lindsay was getting on Hingis's case about retiring :confused:

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,117 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
Wasn't it just 2 years ago that Lindsay was getting on Hingis's case about retiring :confused:
And? Is Lindsay talking about retirement at an age of 22?

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Lindsay is about at the natural conclusion of a tennis player's career. She's having nagging injuries and she's got a nice life ahead of her.

Wouldn't it be great if Lindsay became a commentator and knocked that awful Pam out of the broadcast booth?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
i think Davenport is looking around to see how bad the rest of the tour is playing, and thinking maybe she can pull out a cheap Grand Slam title if the Belgians and the Williams continue to play at less than full strength. And Lindsay knows Mauresmo is always going to fold in the important moments, so there could really be an opening for her.

What i'd like to see is more of what happened in Wimby, with the younger players and especially the Russians taking it to Davenport, because they just have better games than she does. If Lindsay doesn't like it, she can either put up or shut up. I hope she doesn't manage to win another GS title bcuz with her uncommitted attitude she doesn't deserve it. I'm not a Williams fan but i'd rather see Serena win the USO than Davenport. My personal hell would be a Davenport-Mauresmo USOpen final.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,117 Posts
*~ The Leopard ~* said:
Hmmmm, Davenport vs Mauresmo. That'd be a great final. :D
Yep. For something like Linz or Zurich. Not for US Open. Don't worry. It won't happen. I promise.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
ys said:
Yep. For something like Linz or Zurich. Not for US Open. Don't worry. It won't happen. I promise.
It was inches away at Wimbledon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts