Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking at the predictions for Wimbledon and US Open thread, I see so many people think she has a chance to win. Well maybe she does but I wouldn't say she's one of the favorites. I mean what has she done in the last 12 months? A tier I win and a GS semi at best. Good but nothing fantastic.

Her recent records against the Williams sisters and the Belgians really suck too. I just don't see what she has going for her right now to make so many people think she can still win slams.

I always thought we've seen the best of Lindsay from late 98 through to early 00. I don't know if she can reach those heights again, I hope she does but right now I just don't see how.

So is she overrated? Are people expecting way too many things from her?

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
If Lindsay would not be so injured this last few months she would have many chances especially on indoor courts and grass courts and even hard.

·
Premium Member
20,681 Posts
Lindsay is up there with the williams girls.. if only she could not be injured every 3 months.. she would b the biggest threat!

Anna K ournikova is VERY VERY OVERATED!

·
Banned
3,072 Posts
:rolleyes: maybe, I'm bias - I'll try not to be but I think Lindsay has as good a chance as any. Once she hits that rythm shots just flow from her racket and just land on the marks. Quite often with Lindsay, she has to get on a roll so to speak - you only have to look at her GS results; USO 1998, Wimby 1999 and AO 2000 and during those tournies, Lindsay found rythm and just flowed. Am I making any sense.

This is the reason why Lindsay hardly has to run - once the shots are flowing and she is timing them at best then I don't see why she can't be a threat.

I guess the reasom why people like the Williams, Kim and Justine beat her of late is because they have managed to get Lindsay on the run - and besides, Lindsay's weapon: her serve, hasn't been upto scratch of late which is why people have been able to get her on the run from the get go.

I still believe that she has a couple of Slams in her! :)

-Rachel :wavey:

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
RayRob said:
:rolleyes: maybe, I'm bias - I'll try not to be but I think Lindsay has as good a chance as any. Once she hits that rythm shots just flow from her racket and just land on the marks. Quite often with Lindsay, she has to get on a roll so to speak - you only have to look at her GS results; USO 1998, Wimby 1999 and AO 2000 and during those tournies, Lindsay found rythm and just flowed. Am I making any sense.

This is the reason why Lindsay hardly has to run - once the shots are flowing and she is timing them at best then I don't see why she can't be a threat.

I guess the reasom why people like the Williams, Kim and Justine beat her of late is because they have managed to get Lindsay on the run - and besides, Lindsay's weapon: her serve, hasn't been upto scratch of late which is why people have been able to get her on the run from the get go.

I still believe that she has a couple of Slams in her! :)

-Rachel :wavey:
Well said Rachel - at the risk of being called biassed, too, I totally agree with what you said. These are the types of threads that don't need encouraging and I am pleased we keep these types out of our Tower of Power Forum.

LETS GO LINDSAY :wavey: :worship:

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Lindsay is not overrated.. it's just that her injuries have been bothering her and thus she couldn't perform well... i really hope she is fit for wimby and us open.......... go lindsay!!!

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
If Lindsay is overrated then so is Jenny. ;) :eek:

Lindsay still pretty much owns Jen and yet people seem more readily accepting Jen as a force to be reckoned with in the slams (usually).

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
I think Lindsay's biggest strength has always been her mental game. And since returning from her injury, it's the one thing that has gone down in her tighter matches.

Although she has let a crop of players pass her by, I still believe in my mind that if she found the side of her game for which she is well known for, she might actually start winning more of these matches.

Perhaps I am biased too cause she is my fave. But I believe this to be true.

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Anything can happen in tennis. Having said that, for me at least, Lindsay isn't in the list of "favourites". I expect her to do better than Everyone except WilliamsX2 and BelgiumX2. :wavey:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
If Lindsay Davenport OR Capriati ever win a slam with both Williams and both Belgians in it, I'll eat my underwear!

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Rtael said:
If Lindsay Davenport OR Capriati ever win a slam with both Williams and both Belgians in it, I'll eat my underwear!
Just make sure you don't choke on them in the process.....

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
oh, I won't.....I've had practice....but I don't think I'll have to worry about it ;)

·
***** Emeritus
42,289 Posts
Jakeev said:
Although she has let a crop of players pass her by, I still believe in my mind that if she found the side of her game for which she is well known for, she might actually start winning more of these matches.
Well the question is, can she find that side of her game in 3 weeks time, when she was forced to retire in her last match? I think it's asking a bit much...

·
Registered
245 Posts
:wavey:

This is an interesting piece of trivia: Every time Lindsay's won a
Grand Slam tournament, she's won ALL her matches in straight
sets!!! So, if she drops a set in any of her early rounds, don't
count on her to win.... ;)

·
Everything Fades Away
129,476 Posts
Are you kidding? Lindsay overrated? No no no. She is underrated I'd say. She could beat any player on the tour if she's fit (which unfortunately atm is not the case). She has won many tourneys in her career and I am sure there will more follow. A slam? Hard to say, but NOT impossible.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
"I think Lindsay's biggest strength has always been her mental game. And since returning from her injury, it's the one thing that has gone down in her tighter matches."

LOL at Lindsay's strength always been her mental game! HARDLY. She used to be a big time shoulder slumper. Her strength was her serve and return game, not to mention her clean strokes. Both her serve and return game have gone off a bit, which is why she no longer controls the center of the court like she used to.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I really hope Lindsay can win a Slam soon. That is my only wish for her, but she's been having a hard time closing out matches. She's gotten better, but there is still a problem.
The main issue there is the mental problem, she should believe more in herself, and not think "Im gonna do well out there, think that she CAN beat everyone because SHE CAN.
Her serve and return are just a matter of confidence, once she gets her REAL LEVEL back, I'm sure she'll start serving as she used to. And win the key points... that's what it is all about...

GO LINDSAY!! :worship: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Joaco

1 - 20 of 53 Posts