Tennis Forum banner
661 - 678 of 678 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
True fans can pick whichever young players they like best, it doesn't have to be both Emma and Fern. The tennis landscape could look very different in 3 years, re. which young women are on the top of the game.

Rogers was definitely a touch better when it mattered, and leylah just went away 2nd set.
Meh, you don't have to support them both of course, but they're both objectively great for the game, so we should want them both to succeed IMHO.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Posting this here because the match thread got locked.

The level in the third set between Shelby and Fern was some of the highest I’ve seen in the tournament. Either player would have deserved to win the tournament if they could have kept the level up for the next few matches.

Shelby was serving lights out, and most players would have been dejected and folded, but Leylah dug in and hung around, and even had a chance in the tiebreak. That kind of persistence will get her very far.

IMO, Leylah needs to work on her serve placement and disguise. I wonder if her serve is somewhat readable because Shelby (and Emma in the US Open) were sitting on most of them.

Of course, also her transition game, volleys and overheads. She has great instincts on when to come in — she showed that in her 3 matches in Indian wells — just needs tighter execution. Once she squares away those areas, the three set matches will become two setters in her favor, and she will have more energy in the later stages of tournaments. It’s easier said than done, of course, and will take at least a year or two of concerted effort, but worth it in the long run.

Now I guess I’ll have to wait a while for my Leylah fix since she’s not playing the Fed cup!

·
Registered
112 Posts

Another candid interview with Jorge Fernandez. Not gonna lie his approach confuses the heck out of me. He has a very clear divide between tennis and life. He said his daughters agreed that after knowing all the things that came with success (i.e. money, fame, criticism), they wouldn't have chosen the same path they did. But they're in too deep now so they have to keep going.

What's clear is Leylah's sole purpose for pursuing tennis is the immense passion for the sport. And her parents did everything they could to help her reach her goals. No ulterior motives here from their side. If ever the sport no longer makes their daughters happy, they are free to move on from it.
Thank you for posting that video. And please post 'Part 2' when it becomes available.
Jorge is one of the most interesting, unconventional, and unique people I've ever met. A very thoughtful person, and a profound thinker. And the relationship he has with Leylah is exceptional. I hope he remains as her primary coach for a long time - because no other coach could ever achieve the level of understanding and trust with Leylah that Jorge has.

As for her decision to not play Fed Cup... Yes, she is no doubt tired - physically and emotionally/mentally. She has not only played a lot of matches in the past 5 or 6 weeks (both in singles and doubles), but there is also all of the attention from the media, which was a brand new level to her at the young age of 19... I think she just needs to shut it down for the season so that Jorge and she can simply relax and just be father and daughter, and forget about all the other stuff for a while.
I think it's a question of long-term preservation more than anything.

As for Leylah's loss to Shelby Rogers... What I saw was that Leylah got pulled into too many baseline rallies, and didn't use enough variety. Leylah's game is not to win baseline bashing battles - her game is about creativity - angles, changes of pace, drop shots, coming to net, etc.... basically keeping her opponents off balance. She did that really well vs. Cornet - one of the announcers even said at one point "Cornet has no idea what's coming next".
Through most of this year, I noticed that Leylah was getting into more baseline rallies than usual, and using less variety. It seemed as if she was trying to 'prove' that she can win baseline rallies at the WTA level, and forgot what got her there. I saw this happening right up through Cincinnati this year. Of course, it's more difficult to play her game at the WTA level than it was at the ITF or Junior level - the opponents are tougher and give her less opportunity to do what she wants.
After Cincinnati, there was the U.S. Open, of course - and we all know what she did there. Jorge brought her home after Cincinnati and they worked on some things - and we saw the old, creative Leylah in New York.
But I feel that Shelby lulled her back into the baseline rallies during their match the other day. Leylah had several opportunities to come to net that she didn't take. Still, it was obviously a close, hard fought match, and the difference between the winner and the loser was quite small. Shelby can be a deceptively good player.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Posting this here because the match thread got locked.

The level in the third set between Shelby and Fern was some of the highest I’ve seen in the tournament. Either player would have deserved to win the tournament if they could have kept the level up for the next few matches.

Shelby was serving lights out, and most players would have been dejected and folded, but Leylah dug in and hung around, and even had a chance in the tiebreak. That kind of persistence will get her very far.

IMO, Leylah needs to work on her serve placement and disguise. I wonder if her serve is somewhat readable because Shelby (and Emma in the US Open) were sitting on most of them.

Of course, also her transition game, volleys and overheads. She has great instincts on when to come in — she showed that in her 3 matches in Indian wells — just needs tighter execution. Once she squares away those areas, the three set matches will become two setters in her favor, and she will have more energy in the later stages of tournaments. It’s easier said than done, of course, and will take at least a year or two of concerted effort, but worth it in the long run.

Now I guess I’ll have to wait a while for my Leylah fix since she’s not playing the Fed cup!
Great post.
Soon it will be impossible to discuss fern in general because of the bashers, mainly Radu fans.
Sad. This is how it is with Binanca too.

I felt to go next level Leylah needs to improve her serve as well. It was enough to get her through Sab Osaka and Svit in hard fought for 3 setters, (incredible!) but not enough for an on fire Rogers. Interesting!
Fern wasn't serving as well against Emma as she was against the earlier ones. First serve % fell from in the 70s to the 50s.
(Again, tired. Duh)
Against Pav she also started with a low first serve % and lost the first set, midway through the 2nd set she improved 1rst serves % and won the set easily.
So she needs a higher 1rst serve % and a better 2nd serve. Rogers was killing her on the 2nd serves, not the 1rst.

Rogers won that match by the tiniest of margins--I felt it was blown drop shot in the TB from leyleh that turned it. No disaster.

Hope you keep posting here instead of match threads because we need more knowlegeable fans on threads where she isn't getting bashed.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Great post.
Soon it will be impossible to discuss fern in general because of the bashers, mainly Radu fans.
Sad. This is how it is with Binanca too.

I felt to go next level Leylah needs to improve her serve as well. It was enough to get her through Sab Osaka and Svit in hard fought for 3 setters, (incredible!) but not enough for an on fire Rogers. Interesting!
Fern wasn't serving as well against Emma as she was against the earlier ones. First serve % fell from in the 70s to the 50s.
(Again, tired. Duh)
Against Pav she also started with a low first serve % and lost the first set, midway through the 2nd set she improved 1rst serves % and won the set easily.
So she needs a higher 1rst serve % and a better 2nd serve. Rogers was killing her on the 2nd serves, not the 1rst.

Rogers won that match by the tiniest of margins--I felt it was blown drop shot in the TB from leyleh that turned it. No disaster.

Hope you keep posting here instead of match threads because we need more knowlegeable fans on threads where she isn't getting bashed.
You got it wrong way round lol ....USO final first serve in
Set 1 = 50 %
Set 2 = 69 %
So improved in set 2 (same statistical margin average speeds).

I think Leylah has a plan to get ready for AO, rumour is leaving to Australia mid to late december if want warm up tournament before AO and if there is 2 weeks bubble.....and might want a training block to tweak some things....so only time to do that is now really...

So no I dont think Emma or Leylah are physically tired, mentally must be exhausting after USO, and they need time to prepare for AO SLAM if warm up events are end dec / start Jan.

So I agree Laylah schedule is good, but for different reasons, and no I dont bash on Leylah or Bianca.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Leylah is in Ecuador right now accompanying baby sis for the W25 Guayaquil tourney. They are loving her over there. She did a press con today and this article has some of what was said in it.

I google translated it so not sure how accurate the translation was but does anyone have any knowledge of them wanting to initially represent Ecuador??

All I can say is I am so glad Leylah didn't end up repping Ecuador. Girl is a friggin Canadian gosh darn it!

Edit: I read more articles. I was probably missing some context. She said she wants to represent Ecuador and the Philippines as best as she can 👍 Doubt anything other than Canada was a serious official option.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The nominations are bullshit.

Here they are:
WTA Award Nominees

Nominees for 2021 WTA Player of the Year Award
Ash Barty
Barbora Krejcikova
Emma Raducanu
Garbine Muguruza
Naomi Osaka
Aryna Sabalenka
Iga Swiatek

Nominees for 2021 WTA Comeback Player of the Year Award
Carla Suarez Navarro
Sania Mirza
Elena Vesnina
Ana Konjuh

Nominees for the 2021 WTA Most Improved Player Award
Leylah Fernandez
Maria Sakkari
Barbora Krejcikova
Ons Jabeur
Anett Kontaveit
Paula Badosa
Jessica Pegula

Nominees for 2021 WTA Newcomer of the Year
Emma Raducanu
Mayar Sherif
Ann Li
Clara Tauson
Camila Osorio
Liudmila Samsonova

Emma nominated for 'Player of the Year', but not Leylah?
Leylah arguably had a better year than Emma. Leylah beat several top 10 (and former top 10) players on the way to the U.S. Open Final. And, apart from Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, we didn't see Emma at all.
Neither Leylah nor Emma should win this category - but, really... you can't nominate one without nominating the other.

Comeback Player should go to Navarro - not for her results, but for her courage and resilience.
Honourable mention to Mirza.

Leylah gets nominated for 'Most Improved Player', but not Emma, who was nowhere the year before and is nominated for Player of the Year? Leylah was more improved last year than she was this year, in truth. The nominees make less and less sense as we read on.
Most Improved should be close between Krejcikova and Badosa. Kontaveit had a nice run at the end of the season, but the other 2 were more consistent throughout a greater portion of the year.

Newcomer of the Year is ridiculous. Apparently, their definition of a 'newcomer' changes from year to year to suit whatever agenda they have. Leylah should have won it hands down last year (she was Wertheim's pick), but they gave it to Podoroska based solely on her Roland Garros. But Podoroska was not a newcomer - she had been on the tour for several years. By that criteria, Leylah should get the Newcomer of the Year this year, as she's been on the tour for fewer years than Podoroska was last year. 'Newcomer' should also go to a player who looks like they will be at least in the top 30 for some years to come - Podoroska has done nothing except for that Roland Garros last year, and never looked like she would.
Lastly - why isn't Emma nominated in the 'Newcomer of the Year' this year? Virtually no-one knew of her a year ago.

These nominations are very messed up.

661 - 678 of 678 Posts