Tennis Forum banner
641 - 660 of 667 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The toxicity in general discussion is disgusting. I joined the forum to talk/read about my new fav player, not peruse pages of player bashing on all sides. I'd love to stay in this thread, but sadly, general discussion is the only place where any ounce of good discussion is held. Mods need to do a better job of weeding out toxic posters.
Thank you for posting that!
I have been disgusted lately by the general bashing of Canadian players and fans, and have been PMing one mod about it, and now posting on the mod thread that they do shoul something about it, rather than just delete offending comments. That is meaningless.
Last night when I came on after the fern match I was so disgusted i didn't even wat to discuss the match.

So posters on this thread who feel that way should go the mod discussion thread in Community Help, and please state your feelings. I think if they see it from many--rather than just for me--they might do a bit more to silence the offending parties.

It's time to speak out. I get a lot of personal insults as a result of taking some of these people on, and if it weren't for fear of getting warnings myself, I would blast them to the limit.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'm not sure she had any injury that was effecting her game that much but I could be wrong. She played really well in the 3rd set and it was very high quality from both players. There is no shame when losing a close match to an opponent who was playing great tennis. It comes down to fine margins when both players are in good form and the shot selection for the drop-shot at 4 - 4 in the tie-break was crucial.

Also please don't think all Brits are the same in putting down Leylah. I admit there are some embarrassing posts but you should ignore them if you can as I do. There is quite a bit of pushback to these posters and threads like the "Is Raducanu Done?" one will wind them up even more and these things escalate bringing bitterness on both sides. That thread is ridiculous in itself and should be removed as it winds people up. I for one like Leylah and I think she has a bright future. Her matches are consistently great fun to watch so good luck to her.
Is Radu done wasn't a canadian poster and maybe not even a Leyleh fan. Just the usual TF over-reaction, they do it for all players who are hot, then not.
Of course not all Radu or Brit fans are guilty of this, but I've found the bashing of Canadian players (not just Fern) and Canadians themselves outrageous. And most of it is now coming from Radu fans. But before it was aimed at Biannca.
The post match thread for Fern/Rogers was a long stream of toxicity.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Is Radu done wasn't a canadian poster and maybe not even a Leyleh fan. Just the usual TF over-reaction, they do it for all players who are hot, then not.
Of course not all Radu or Brit fans are guilty of this, but I've found the bashing of Canadian players (not just Fern) and Canadians themselves outrageous. And most of it is now coming from Radu fans. But before it was aimed at Biannca.
I try support both and Iga, but TF posters make it difficult, some of your posts to consider

she was inflated before the final win over a tired fernandez Intelligent Radu fans should be thanking her lucky stars for that slam win..

I thunk it and now we can see what happens in the next few years. Leyleh won her junior's title on clay btw, really bad news for Radu fans.

I got so much flak from the insane Radu fans here for suggesting leyleh was tired from her much harder draw
I hope they can enjoy their humble pie tonight

Leyleh will outperform Radu in the years to come, mark my words

·
Registered
270 Posts
I didn't say it was started by a Canadian or a Leylah fan. Whoever starts them these sorts of threads stoke the flames for the stan types which escalates antagonisms across the forum. There's still no excuse for this behaviour as rational people should rise above this sort of thing. Anyway I like Leylah and Bianca and hope for them to do well. Leylah's matches are great so I want to see more of them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Your posts do seem to egg them on. Maybe try cutting down on them and there won't be so much retaliation. It's fine if you believe that Leylah was tired in the final and that's the reason she lost. But to state it as fact when she herself has said otherwise (unless you know her and she told you this personally), then get triggered by the backlash you get kind of contributes to the toxicity.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Your posts do seem to egg them on. Maybe try cutting down on them and there won't be so much retaliation. It's fine if you believe that Leylah was tired in the final and that's the reason she lost. But to state it as fact when she herself has said otherwise (unless you know her and she told you this personally), then get triggered by the backlash you get kind of contributes to the toxicity.
I did feel bad for her going to play doubles after her Rogers game - not great scheduling and maybe she has to concentrate on singles as sometimes doubles fits in nicely, sometimes it does not and what is the priority ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did feel bad for her going to play doubles after her Rogers game - not great scheduling and maybe she has to concentrate on singles as sometimes doubles fits in nicely, sometimes it does not and what is the priority ?
Obviously I would selfishly like to see her play as much tennis as possible, but I know she's not a superhuman (though sometimes it seems that way:LOL:). Playing doubles definitely helps her net game so that's an advantage. I trust in her team to decide whatever is best for her.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Her post match presser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Such a great head on her shoulders. Stay hungry girl! I always love how much pride she has in representing Canada.

I think the reason I love her so much is because we are one in the same. Strong Canadian pride, fellow introvert, puzzle lover, competitive. I could learn a lesson or two from her about mental strength though 😅

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Actually I 'm not going to adjust what i think about tennis to not egg on posters who are trolls or constant attackers. Become quiet and timid to not provoke creeps.
Forget it. And I actually think the Canadian fans here are a bit too much like that themselves. Just say nothing, don';t rock the boat, suck up the abuse. It's actually very Canadian.
I find this kind of stance really lame and part of the problem.
To be clear: I haven't attacked Emma at all. Only her fan base here for their b4ehavoir, and actually the mod i talk to agrees with me about the fanbase, and says it's known about the fanbase.

As for leylah in the final: Leyleh absolutely could not say she was tired in the final--even if she was--because she would be criticized for "making excuses" and the words she even used when asked that after the match were "I wasn't aware of feeling that way." Which was obviously a way aorund saying she was tired, without saying "No I wasn't tired."
I saw her father interviewed on TSn and he also didn't want to say it but when asked directly said it so clearly,. Of course she was tired.
If you can't talk about these things then you can't talk about what has really happened in a tennis match. Duh
Then further: I have a physical therapist who is an ex college player and who works on the tour with the top players. We talked about the match and before i even said anything, she said Emma wouldn't have even gpotten through leylah's draw.

Please don't give me advice, I don't appreciate it, unless you're a mod.
I have gone to some length to clear up a misunderstanding you have about what happened in that final.
I would not say leyleh was tired yesterday, she just got ooutplayed bya small margin.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
And rather than tell me how to adjust my posts, if you really don't like the leylah bashing here, you might report the kind of comments you think are toxic. That is what the mods tell us to do about it. But maybe you don't like sticking your neck out even in the slightest ...
I have bothered to talk to mods about this situation and so far none have said there is an issue with my posts. One is extremely sympathetic to what's going on

Also: your notion of me "egging them on" is not only aimed at the wrong poster--it's kind of like accusing the women who are attacked for how they're dressed, rather than going after the attackers--it's also plainly wrong in several instances of "Canadian bashing".
Because i am talking about a thread i wasn't even on yet, and one poster, Check--kept referring to "know nothing Canadian fans". I wasn't even on that thread, OK?

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
I like everything about this kid. she's hungry, talented, confident, and most importantly.....you have to work like a demon to beat her, she won't beat herself and leaves it all out there on the court. I don't think I've ever seen Shelby Rogers serve like that under pressure for a whole match.....and Leylah still could have won the match.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Actually I 'm not going to adjust what i think about tennis to not egg on posters who are trolls or constant attackers. Become quiet and timid to not provoke creeps.
Forget it. And I actually think the Canadian fans here are a bit too much like that themselves. Just say nothing, don';t rock the boat, suck up the abuse. It's actually very Canadian.
To be clear: I haven't attacked Emma at all. Only her fan base here for their b4ehavoir, and actually the mod i talk to agrees with me about the fanbase, and says it's known about the fanbase.

As for leylah in the final: Leyleh absolutely could not say she was tired in the final--even if she was--because she would be criticized for "making excuses" and the words she even used when asked that after the match were "I wasn't aware of feeling that way." Which was obviously a way aorund saying she was tired, without saying "No I wasn't tired."
I saw her father interviewed on TSn and he also didn't want to say it but when asked directly said it so clearly,. Of course she was tired.
If you can't talk about these things then you can't talk about what has really happened in a tennis match. Duh
Then further: I have a physical therapist who is an ex college player and who works on the tour with the top players. We talked about the match and before i even said anything, she said Emma wouldn't have even gpotten through leylah's draw.

I have gone to some length to clear up a misunderstanding you have about what happened in that final.
I would not say leyleh was tired yesterday, she just got ooutplayed bya small margin.
Well now girl, @CrystalXx does make a good point here. Your lengthy responses sound like you are very wounded. ...and this is not going to stop the trolls from piling on, only make them persist with glee. So you are just going to have to live with it if you get triggered so easily....that's all we're saying. Running to the mods in the moderation thread constantly is simply not going to work.....that's just reality, they (rightfully) try to stay out of things as much as possible. This is not a criticism, you respond any way you want....100%, but you are making yourself a big target on here. cheers....be well.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Well, I'm as Canadian as it gets so I'll admit to not wanting to start (or continue) shit. I just don't find it enjoyable to argue for the sake of arguing. Different strokes for different folks.

I don't remember if this was posted here. But in this Montreal presser after the US Open, starting at around 26:20, Leylah literally says she "honestly wasn't tired." Sorry if it wasn't previously posted and I assumed everyone saw it.

Side note: So annoying how they couldn't even get her name right in the title.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm not sure she had any injury that was effecting her game that much but I could be wrong. She played really well in the 3rd set and it was very high quality from both players. There is no shame when losing a close match to an opponent who was playing great tennis. It comes down to fine margins when both players are in good form and the shot selection for the drop-shot at 4 - 4 in the tie-break was crucial.

Also please don't think all Brits are the same in putting down Leylah. I admit there are some embarrassing posts but you should ignore them if you can as I do. There is quite a bit of pushback to these posters and threads like the "Is Raducanu Done?" one will wind them up even more and these things escalate bringing bitterness on both sides. That thread is ridiculous in itself and should be removed as it winds people up. I for one like Leylah and I think she has a bright future. Her matches are consistently great fun to watch so good luck to her.
True tennis fans want both Emma and Leylah to succeed consistently in the coming years.

Shame Leylah lost yesterday, but we have to admit that Rogers never let up and deserved her victory.

·
Registered
716 Posts
just checking out the WTA YouTube, and Leylah’s IW games have 200-300k views, each! her views are multiple everyone else’s, even Andreescu. 😰 (well...except for Emma’s horrible game).

She’s a global icon.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Well, I'm as Canadian as it gets so I'll admit to not wanting to start (or continue) shit. I just don't find it enjoyable to argue for the sake of arguing. Different strokes for different folks.

I don't remember if this was posted here. But in this Montreal presser after the US Open, starting at around 26:20, Leylah literally says she "honestly wasn't tired." Sorry if it wasn't previously posted and I assumed everyone saw it.

Side note: So annoying how they couldn't even get her name right in the title.

She has to say it wasn't about being tired, or she'll be accused of making excuses.
They also won't say they're injured--mainly--when they are.
Nadal lost the French to Djok with an injured foot and it was only his coach Moya who said he was. Days after.

I don't like to argue for the sake of arguing and I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing.
Ev,I don't like seeing wrong info or lies--about players, vaccines and anything--and i especially don't like having mud thrown at me or being insulted personally when i didn't insult the person who did it. So I say something. That's not arguing for the sake of arguing.
Duh.

Suggesting I "egged them on" was very insulting to me btw, in case you aren't aware.
They were bashing Fern long before even got on the threads.

Let's leave it at this.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
True tennis fans want both Emma and Leylah to succeed consistently in the coming years.

Shame Leylah lost yesterday, but we have to admit that Rogers never let up and deserved her victory.
True fans can pick whichever young players they like best, it doesn't have to be both Emma and Fern. The tennis landscape could look very different in 3 years, re. which young women are on the top of the game.

Rogers was definitely a touch better when it mattered, and leylah just went away 2nd set.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The 3 set tie break came down to a simple error; either player was worthy of winning the match.

I have a sneaking suspicion Leylah was a little bit tired, she grabbed one of her legs a few time during the match.

·
Registered
55 Posts
She has to say it wasn't about being tired, or she'll be accused of making excuses.
They also won't say they're injured--mainly--when they are.
Nadal lost the French to Djok with an injured foot and it was only his coach Moya who said he was. Days after.

I don't like to argue for the sake of arguing and I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing.
Ev,I don't like seeing wrong info or lies--about players, vaccines and anything--and i especially don't like having mud thrown at me or being insulted personally when i didn't insult the person who did it. So I say something. That's not arguing for the sake of arguing.
Duh.

Suggesting I "egged them on" was very insulting to me btw, in case you aren't aware.
They were bashing Fern long before even got on the threads.

Let's leave it at this.
Fair enough, I'm definitely super new to the forum and admittedly don't know a lot about tennis.
Sorry that I made you feel insulted.

All love here, now back to our regularly scheduled programming (y)

·
Registered
55 Posts

Another candid interview with Jorge Fernandez. Not gonna lie his approach confuses the heck out of me. He has a very clear divide between tennis and life. He said his daughters agreed that after knowing all the things that came with success (i.e. money, fame, criticism), they wouldn't have chosen the same path they did. But they're in too deep now so they have to keep going.

What's clear is Leylah's sole purpose for pursuing tennis is the immense passion for the sport. And her parents did everything they could to help her reach her goals. No ulterior motives here from their side. If ever the sport no longer makes their daughters happy, they are free to move on from it.

641 - 660 of 667 Posts