Tennis Forum banner
621 - 640 of 667 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Another amazing fight from leyleh.
I was a bit concerned with her difficulty getting 1rst serves in for the first set, and a high # of DFs, at least for her. As soon as she got her serve in order, breaking back in the 2nd set in the 5th game, she began to take control of the match. It was fascinating to watch it unfold, because it really seemed she was done for once broken immediately 2nd set.

The serve gets shaky under pressure.
Otherwise: wow. The way she found a way through. By frustrating Pavs. This is what she was able to do to all those top seeds at the USO too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm assuming that Leylah shall be the Canadian No 1 when the rankings are updated (after Andreescu's defeat today) ?

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
So Leylah's path to the SF is through Shelby Rogers and then Swiatek most likely. I like her chances big time against Shelby. The Swiatek match should be tasty for sure, but she can do it. I can see her winning it all the way her confidence is right now. Big win over Pavs last night, just like US Open.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Please pay more attention to what I read?
On the Leyleh straight arm FH thread I made it was you who responded to me with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and other misunderstandings of my initial post.

In case you're confused Deuce, this post is for you.
^ I have never before seen anyone on any message board have as much trouble as you have figuring out what quotes people are responding to. Yet it is a very simple task.

If you paid more attention to what you're responding to - and if you learned how to spell Leylah properly (despite it being written correctly in many places on this forum, as well as in many articles in recent weeks, you still misspell it 9 times out of 10), then people here might just begin to take you seriously.
As it is now, though, that's not possible.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sad as a fan that I won't be able to watch her play more matches, but there's still hope in doubles at least. Though that will be a tough one

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
IMpossible to even look at the general thread about this Rogers match, it is so toxic. The radu fans are mainly despicable. And the widescale bashing of Canadians (the nation, not just the players) shouldn't be tolerated. I have already PM'd one mod about this and though they agree about the the Radu fans, they seem unwilling to give out warnings. If anyone wrote about a race that way, they'd be banned. But a nation is OK?

Anyway, it pisses me off. So I will post here instead.

It was a disappointing result--I had no idea Rogers could be that good, it was the serve mainly that gave Leylah problems, and Leylah played a shit 2nd set.
The 3rd set could have gone either way, was incredibly close, and Rogers was just a bit more clutch in the end.
I knew Leyleh couldn't keep escaping these super close 3 setters, but I didn't expect Rogers to be the one ...

Not a disaster. It was a good run. Leylah needs to improve her 1rst %, and the serve itself to go next level.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The toxicity in general discussion is disgusting. I joined the forum to talk/read about my new fav player, not peruse pages of player bashing on all sides. I'd love to stay in this thread, but sadly, general discussion is the only place where any ounce of good discussion is held. Mods need to do a better job of weeding out toxic posters.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
The toxicity in general discussion is disgusting. I joined the forum to talk/read about my new fav player, not peruse pages of player bashing on all sides. I'd love to stay in this thread, but sadly, general discussion is the only place where any ounce of good discussion is held. Mods need to do a better job of weeding out toxic posters.
I saw a couple of toxic posts about Leylah and that's all I could handle.
It's mostly Emma stans, who I must have pissed off when I mentioned Leylah > Emma.
I didn't get a chance to watch, while at was at work, but I saw the scores, and figured it was a very tight match.
She definitely has something to look forward to in 2022, having a break-out year.
Even though she lost in R16, that's not too shabby given it's her 1st attempt and especially after her US Open final.

I'd like to see her use more of a kick serve, until she has the strength to add more power.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I saw a couple of toxic posts about Leylah and that's all I could handle.
It's mostly Emma stans, who I must have pissed off when I mentioned Leylah > Emma.
I didn't get a chance to watch, while at was at work, but I saw the scores, and figured it was a very tight match.
She definitely has something to look forward to in 2022, having a break-out year.
Even though she lost in R16, that's not too shabby given it's her 1st attempt and especially after her US Open final.

I'd like to see her use more of a kick serve, until she has the strength to add more power.
I even hate all the who's better than who stuff. There is such a small sample size that we really have no idea. The simplest way is to just go by h2h and emma has her beat. Just as simple as that. No excuses. Yeah Leylah had the tougher draw but that's just how it turned out and she dealt with it magnificently. Literally made me a fan because of it. Leylah herself made no excuses so why are we doing it for her? I wish people on this forum were as mature as she is.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I wrote this in the match thread, but it looked like Leylah has been dealing with a right foot issue and maybe tennis elbow? At least noticeable since her match with Pavs.

Something I noticed in pictures (eg. MET Gala) is she appears to have a bone spur or something on the top of her right foot. It looks like it could be uncomfortable and maybe that's why she was having foot problems? Idk just an observation. She looked fine at the US Open however.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I wrote this in the match thread, but it looked like Leylah has been dealing with a right foot issue and maybe tennis elbow? At least noticeable since her match with Pavs.

Something I noticed in pictures (eg. MET Gala) is she appears to have a bone spur or something on the top of her right foot. It looks like it could be uncomfortable and maybe that's why she was having foot problems? Idk just an observation. She looked fine at the US Open however.
I'm not sure she had any injury that was effecting her game that much but I could be wrong. She played really well in the 3rd set and it was very high quality from both players. There is no shame when losing a close match to an opponent who was playing great tennis. It comes down to fine margins when both players are in good form and the shot selection for the drop-shot at 4 - 4 in the tie-break was crucial.

Also please don't think all Brits are the same in putting down Leylah. I admit there are some embarrassing posts but you should ignore them if you can as I do. There is quite a bit of pushback to these posters and threads like the "Is Raducanu Done?" one will wind them up even more and these things escalate bringing bitterness on both sides. That thread is ridiculous in itself and should be removed as it winds people up. I for one like Leylah and I think she has a bright future. Her matches are consistently great fun to watch so good luck to her.

621 - 640 of 667 Posts