Tennis Forum banner
581 - 600 of 676 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
So why don't we have a Leyleh subforum yet?
Go and vote for one Leyleh fans!

I have to say seeing leyleh and Felix together in one pix makes me so proud and excited for Canadian tennis.
Add Bianca and Shap and our cup literally runneth over.
We have such exciting and promising young players--like what country has more on both the men's and women's side?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Leylah did very well at the recent USO and I think she'll be a multiple slam champ for sure.

In fact, I predict she shall win Roland Garros next year.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello this is my first post! I've been following Leylah casually since last year because she's Canadian. Being half Filipino was a huge draw for me as well lol. But it wasn't until this USO that the girl completely stole my heart! I mean I was super hyped when Bianca went on her run in 2019 but there is something about Leylah that keeps me rooting for her and just wanting her to succeed. The way she never stopped smiling throughout the tournament and her never say die attitude! Watching her has made me want to play tennis myself (I have only played casually in the past, not good at all). I hated seeing her upset after she lost and I just hope she continues to improve and eventually lifts the "right" trophy. Whatever happens I'll be there cheering her on all the way! Can't wait for Indian Wells!

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Hello this is my first post! I've been following Leylah casually since last year because she's Canadian. Being half Filipino was a huge draw for me as well lol. But it wasn't until this USO that the girl completely stole my heart! I mean I was super hyped when Bianca went on her run in 2019 but there is something about Leylah that keeps me rooting for her and just wanting her to succeed. The way she never stopped smiling throughout the tournament and her never say die attitude! Watching her has made me want to play tennis myself (I have only played casually in the past, not good at all). I hated seeing her upset after she lost and I just hope she continues to improve and eventually lifts the "right" trophy. Whatever happens I'll be there cheering her on all the way! Can't wait for Indian Wells!
(y)welcome.....nice first post.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Interview here https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2021/10/03/cest-fini-lanonymat-pour-leylah

Not much new

. Looking for a coach to join the team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
She really is a big stage player. I really think 2022 is gonna be a great year for her with more fans in stadiums . Even having spectators in practice makes her want to train harder.

Also her dad isn't coming to Indian Wells either. Think this will be the move going forward? It worked pretty well at the USO 😂

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #591 ·
The father really wants his younger daughter Bianca Jolie to also succeed as a pro. But she's 17 and she's ranked 1031 pro and 315 as a junior wit a CHR of 203.
I hope it's not a lost cause already. There might be some hope if Leylah can help her financially to travel to more ITF events.

[MEDIA]
I agree but let's see where she is in year or so

·
Registered
110 Posts

She said in this Spanish interview that she thinks her sister is better than her (at tennis). Obviously just being the supportive older sister 😂 But she definitely will help her as much as she can. And I think Leylah's run has inspired her a little.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #593 ·
]

She said in this Spanish interview that she thinks her sister is better than her (at tennis). Obviously just being the supportive older sister But she definitely will help her as much as she can. And I think Leylah's run has inspired her a little.
Yes but she has said it few times before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's a nice thought - and it would be nice to see happen... but I would be absolutely shocked to see little sister Bianca reach anywhere near Leylah's level in the pros.
Leylah has a degree of drive and determination and focus that is extremely rare. Bianca doesn't have that. Bianca doesn't have Leylah's natural work ethic, either.
Unless one is exceptionally gifted, talent can only take you so far. If you aren't ready to work harder than you ever have, you're not going to make the big time.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I just watched Leyleh's interviews on the USO and TSN right after the match.
When asked about fatigue (TSN, actually) she claimed she wasn't "thinking about it". probably true, but that doesn't mean she wasn't tired.
She attributed the loss to making a few too many errors, which is true.

I was so impressed hearing her speak at length. She is so down to earth, gracious, smart, mature, all round likable.

What's refreshing about Leylah is that she speaks from her heart and it's not the generic scripts that most players revert too.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
The father really wants his younger daughter Bianca Jolie to also succeed as a pro. But she's 17 and she's ranked 1031 pro and 315 as a junior wit a CHR of 203.
I hope it's not a lost cause already. There might be some hope if Leylah can help her financially to travel to more ITF events.

She sure makes a great cheerleader from what I saw at the US Open...lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think the dynamic was rather typical... the older sister established herself as being very focussed and determined... and so what was the younger sister going to do to establish a personality? Pretty much the opposite, of course - because that’s how you establish your own separate, individual identity.
And so Leylah is the determined, focussed, hard working one, and Bianca is the more laid back, joking around, goofing off one. This often happens with siblings - especially when they are close in age.

Leylah was saying even 2 years ago that Bianca sometimes beats her in practice. I don’t doubt that. But things are obviously more laid back in practice with your sister than they are in a real tournament match.
I’m sure that Bianca, in seeing what Leylah is doing at the WTA level, is thinking ‘Hey, that looks like fun - I want to be doing that, too’. And I think at this point, she’d like to do that very much. But over the past few years, she didn’t want it enough.

Three years ago, I knew of Leylah but didn’t know anything about Bianca except that she was Leyah’s younger sister. When the two of them came off the court after winning a Junior doubles match, I said to Leylah “It’s really enjoyable to see your focus and determination - it’s so obvious that you absolutely love to hit a tennis ball, and that’s wonderful.” She thanked me, etc. Then I turned to Bianca and said “What about you - are you like that, too?” She said, with a mischievous grin “Uhhh... no, not so much.”
Different personalities; different characters. And that’s fine. Leylah has found what she is passionate about and excels at. Bianca hasn’t found what she is passionate about yet. I hope she’ll find it. But it’s not tennis - because if you want to play at the highest level, that passion pretty much has to be within you from the beginning - and it wasn’t with her.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I think the dynamic was rather typical... the older sister established herself as being very focussed and determined... and so what was the younger sister going to do to establish a personality? Pretty much the opposite, of course - because that’s how you establish your own separate, individual identity.
And so Leylah is the determined, focussed, hard working one, and Bianca is the more laid back, joking around, goofing off one. This often happens with siblings - especially when they are close in age.

Leylah was saying even 2 years ago that Bianca sometimes beats her in practice. I don’t doubt that. But things are obviously more laid back in practice with your sister than they are in a real tournament match.
I’m sure that Bianca, in seeing what Leylah is doing at the WTA level, is thinking ‘Hey, that looks like fun - I want to be doing that, too’. And I think at this point, she’d like to do that very much. But over the past few years, she didn’t want it enough.

Three years ago, I knew of Leylah but didn’t know anything about Bianca except that she was Leyah’s younger sister. When the two of them came off the court after winning a Junior doubles match, I said to Leylah “It’s really enjoyable to see your focus and determination - it’s so obvious that you absolutely love to hit a tennis ball, and that’s wonderful.” She thanked me, etc. Then I turned to Bianca and said “What about you - are you like that, too?” She said, with a mischievous grin “Uhhh... no, not so much.”
Different personalities; different characters. And that’s fine. Leylah has found what she is passionate about and excels at. Bianca hasn’t found what she is passionate about yet. I hope she’ll find it. But it’s not tennis - because if you want to play at the highest level, that passion pretty much has to be within you from the beginning - and it wasn’t with her.
After seeing some of her latest workouts and tennis drills, I am convinced that she will do what it takes to be the best. I know this Filipino girl, who tried out for an NFL cheerleader team throughout her 30's and never made the squad (I'm sure they were looking for someone younger). Anyways she applied her energy and focus towards fitness and bodybuilding and has continuously won 1st place in her division year after year. When I see her focus on her fitness training and compare it to Leylah, I see that same intensity and do what it takes attitude.

There maybe similarities between Leylah and her sister Bianca with Naomi Osaka and her sister Mari.

581 - 600 of 676 Posts