Tennis Forum banner
41 - 60 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
She is not a champion yet, give her time.

There was not much in it, serve and Emma backhand better slighly, liked Leylah open court forehand more. Both move similarly well.

I think both will compete well in AO and USO, dont think clay either are BBB enough

Big serve game is needed to be back end of most big tournaments (except clay and slow courts). Both have great direction on serve, emma is just taller..
The placements of Emma's serves are better. It doesn't show up in the ace counts.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Every young person who just misses out on big early success are filled with this kind of optimism, but it often ends in disappointment and disillusionment. I recall Bouchard talking like it was just a matter of time before she won a slam after her deep runs in 2014. I'd say there's a bigger chance than not of Leylah never winning a slam or attaining number 1. She has physical limitations that may cost her in the modern game.

·
Registered
36,378 Posts
Hopefully she'll be able to use it to motivate her at all levels and won't fixate on it as the "one that got away". She's got a lot of time to work it out.

·
Registered
118,223 Posts
A slam final is a big loss. A lot of players never get back there, or never win one who did get there
I'm thinking Dementieva, Safina, Zvonareva, Lisicki, Pliskova, keys..
There are a lot of players who made a slam final but never won one
Its one of the biggest matches she will ever have
But you have to keep getting back there. Wozniacki won her 3rd slam final. Halep won her 4th
All 4 2021 slam finalists are 0-5 in slam finals

·
Registered
825 Posts
It was so likely after her emotional SF pressie that the F would be too big for her. If I ever had a million to gamble on one match, it would have been that one. Pretty close odds, so a real killing on offer. But that conference gave off totally the wrong vibe. Emma on the other hand was just as calm as ever.

Will she ever win one? Hard to say. Would be such an advantage to have a big weapon, which she doesn't. But she has the ambition for sure. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
She played much better in the earlier rounds and did not rise for the occasion in the final.

It’s a very healthy move discussing that fact.

Madison Keys never talks about her abysmal 2017 US Open final performance, and her results have gotten progressively worse since then.

·
Registered
36,378 Posts
I wonder if anyone has the stats on Players That Made a Final and never won a GS, versus Players that Made a Final and Eventually Did Win A GS.

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
Nothing wrong here with what Leylah said, I like the determination. The Final at US Open was a very good match, Emma was a little more solid and deserved to win. Her 1st serve was better on the day other than that, not much in it. Leylah is never going to have a big serve, per se.....she just needs to have a higher 1st serve percentage. That's the problem, it puts too much pressure on 2nd serve. But the fight in this kid is off the charts, along with great movement and defense. I was suprised by her offense to be honest....it was great to see.

·
Registered
18,262 Posts
Pride/ego is very additive.

Give an example of a champion not accepting a defeat?
Serena has not accepted defeat by Justine in 03

(Ju stopped the unstoppable "Serena Slam" runaway train in Paris).

Not accepting this defeat didn't lead Serena into any other thing one way or another (she both won and lost later on as well)

·
Keep calm and be gay.
52,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
knew this will be a hit thread on TF if I post, the moment I saw it :love:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Serena has not accepted defeat by Justine in 03

(Ju stopped the unstoppable "Serena Slam" runaway train in Paris).

Not accepting this defeat didn't lead Serena into any other thing one way or another (she both won and lost later on as well)
Did Serena say something like "I still can’t accept that defeat"? I don't think so.

41 - 60 of 199 Posts