Tennis Forum banner
181 - 194 of 194 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,586 Posts
Sometimes I have the feeling it's better to lose your first Grand Slam final, escpecially when you are young (under 24).
The fire is still there and the media focus isn't as big. For the career as a whole, it seems better. Of course only for players who will reach another Grand Slam final in the future.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If the said quote from Leylah is correct or correctly translated then she fell into the trap of assuming that given all her amazing victories over top players at the IIOpen, she was entitled to defeat Emma. It's always disappointing to lose a GS final, but my reading of Leylah's body language in those final games and presentation ceremony was that it was losing to Emma rather than losing a GS final that hurt her.. If I am correct, then Emma is in her head. Leylah might have a hard defeating her in future.
It will also depend on the surface, Roland Garros will be a whole different animal

·
Registered
159 Posts
Cringeworthy and crying out of desperation is what she did.
She tried desperately to rattle the crowd to cheer for her.

I hate that. Only Davis Cup, local guy, is allowed to do that.

It''s a nickelback, Bieber canadian what ever thing.

Only desperate, weak people/athletes do that.
Like her, Novaxx or Putintseva.

Danielle Collins too. But she is literally on steroids.

·
Banned
14 Posts
She is hungry and driven to redeem that loss to Emma Raducanu, she will be very dangerous this year, she came so close and knows she can win a grand slam. this is an important year for her. But that was a bad loss to Iga last week. Confidence crusher.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I doubt that she can be the #1 one day, one of the top 10 players may be for one day based on the WTA weird ranking system.

·
Registered
48 Posts
She can’t accept the defeat because she knows in her heart of hearts that she is the better player.

After her loss at the us open, she reacted like a champion would, worked hard for a month to improve her serve and transition game. Her hard work paid off at Indian wells, where her transition game was in full display, and she was a good tie-break away from getting to the quarterfinals. That is a theme in Leylah’s young career. She always figures things out, always looks to improve, and she never makes excuses.

I don’t think she’ll ever accept the US open defeat. That’s okay, as long as she doesn’t dwell on it and keeps looking forward.
She lives in her own dream. I accept it that is her choice. She had been defeated in real life.

181 - 194 of 194 Posts