Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
15,372 Posts
Should be 3-6 6-3 6-4!

This was a 2R and both played as if this was a Slam final.

The level was outstanding from the first set on. Venus was pretty good throughout and Serena just raised her level when she needed to to clutch this win out.

The intensity and fight of these two great champions is just... off the charts. On a parking lot court, with no fans, nothing on the line... and they play such a great match. One of the best matches they've played against each other, IMO, and they really forced each other to play better and better.

I think Venus played Serena into form with this match. Those 3 ROS winners and that incredible BH DTL to break in the penultimate game in the third set was peak stuff.

I have to say the linecalling in this one was absolutely horrendous though, by both the line judges and the umpire. May not have affected the final outcome too much I don't think, but surely it's not too difficult to get Hawkeye here?

*EDIT: okay, I may be a bit generous calling the level "outstanding" but it's just that we've not had live tennis for more than 5 months and seeing both sisters play at such a level is amazing.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm impressed by Venus, she seems better on court now, feels like her little alterations are better for her game, sucks that they both had to draw each other this early again.

·
Registered
248 Posts
3-6 6-3 6-4

Shame Venus lost from 4-2 up in final set. Had 40-15 on serve at 4-4 too. Good signs from both though.

·
Registered
821 Posts
This match really had everything. Started off extremely poorly from both with a contest of who could gift games with errors to the other. Patches of outstanding and tragic serving from both. Amazing winners and tragic errors from both. A heat rule off the court outfit change and complaining by Serena about it. Questionable line calls in important moments. Venus really making it look like she might actually pull out the win, and after up and down play, vintage Serena coming out with some amazing winners to break Venus to serve for the match. If Venus' serve could have remained just an iota more consistent, she could have won. Still, this Venus is much more encouraging than the 2019 Venus.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Should be 3-6 6-3 6-4!

This was a 2R and both played as if this was a Slam final.

The level was outstanding from the first set on. Venus was pretty good throughout and Serena just raised her level when she needed to to clutch this win out.

The intensity and fight of these two great champions is just... off the charts. On a parking lot court, with no fans, nothing on the line... and they play such a great match. One of the best matches they've played against each other, IMO, and they really forced each other to play better and better.

I think Venus played Serena into form with this match. Those 3 ROS winners and that incredible BH DTL to break in the penultimate game in the third set was peak stuff.

I have to say the linecalling in this one was absolutely horrendous though, by both the line judges and the umpire. May not have affected the final outcome too much I don't think, but surely it's not too difficult to get Hawkeye here?
This is an ITF level tournament, they're not going to install hawkeye.

·
Registered
13,091 Posts
Omg who is the on-court interviewer for Tennis Channel her voice sounds like a 12 year old.

Back on topic: Venus should have closed this out. Doesn't have the killer instinct that Serena has. Serena should cruise to the title now.

·
Registered
31,321 Posts
Serena's groundstrokes look a hot mess. She has no control over the ball and her serve sucks.

She is moving a bit better...
She hit 14 aces, especially in the end she was firing them with ease. I think her serve has seen worse days. They were equal from the baseline but Venus serve let her down big time in the end and Serena was killing these second serves.

·
Registered
114,058 Posts
There were many moments I thought Venus would win. She knew this is one of the last matches they will play and was ready. But at 4-2 in the 3rd, you have to hold. Thats the sport at the highest level. Its hard to get those breaks back against a good server

Reactions: Veesus Christ

·
Registered
745 Posts
Very good match. Definitely top 5 quality wise. I can only think of the 2008 Wimbledon F, 2003 Aus Open F, Doha RR 2009, and US Open 2008 as better matches.

Venus's serve deserted her when she needed it the most. Should have found a way to hold at 4-2 in the 3rd and too many 2nd serves at 4-4 in the third set.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts