Tennis Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

Registered
What an incredible display from Venus that was. Sometimes it looked like she turned the clock back with her agility and speed out there. The sheer joy after MP was fantastic to see as well (kinda different to Serena 馃槃)

Honestly if she brings the same level to the court on Thursday Serena will have a hard time getting past her!

It鈥檚 really hard to tell where Vika is going at this point anymore. Watching her in Stuttgart live last year she looked so good, but she did nothing since then whatsoever.

Registered
Vika may also be upset about the situation in Belarus.

Who knows. She's so lacking in many areas rn. It sucks to see.

Registered
Vika, ouch.

Well done Venus. Keeping my fingers crossed against Serena now.

Registered
Venus played well, no doubt.

Vika on the other hand....馃檨I mean she only won 4 games against frigging Jakupovic in her comeback match in Monterrey, then we had the long break. I thought it might have been good for her. Not sure where she goes from here.

Registered
I know the highlights might not represent the quality of the whole match but they both looked pretty good from what i saw.

If Venus has sorted out her serve with this new motion she will be a threat again. hopefully she doesn't the caring big sis role when facing Serena.

Still maintain Azarenka needs to focus less on her yoga/IG friendly figure and get that solid build back that gave her that extra power she so desperately needs at this stage of her career.
Vika was quite skinny in 2012 and then when she put on a little bit of weight in 2013 people started calling her "fridge." In 2015 and 2016 when she played very well she was skinnier again. The problem is clearly mental.

I'm sad (though not surprised) to see Vika lose like this again, but amazed by Venus. I have questioned why she keeps playing, but this match showed why.

Venus should easily beat her sister based on how they both played, but I would be shocked if that actually happens.

Registered
What an odd comment. Djokovic also does yoga. Andy Murray does yoga. Serena does yoga. Your body can become quite strong from yoga.
Yoga is so hard especially if you have a strong figure because muscle strength and size usually makes flexibility harder. Yoga is astounding for injury prevention in cross training athletes.

Vika needs to pick up the weights and get with the sprints.

Registered
Yoga is so hard especially if you have a strong figure because muscle strength and size usually makes flexibility harder. Yoga is astounding for injury prevention in cross training athletes.

Vika needs to pick up the weights and get with the sprints.
She could very well be doing both, but yoga helps with strength and mobility training. I mean, Serena does yoga. Her more muscular build hasn't prevented from being flexible. My core, for instance, has gotten much stronger ever since I started doing yoga everyday, too. Of course if you're planning to be a world-class athlete in a sport like tennis, it can't just be yoga, and I'm sure Azarenka's not only downward dogging it everyday.

Registered
I think Vika's issue is lack of consistency. Over the past few years, there have been so many stops and starts with the custody battle and various injuries. I don't Vika has ever been a player who hits the ground running after a long layoff - and it remains a huge question mark whether or not she'll be able to play a full schedule at this point in her career without something bothering her.

Gamewise, she just can't keep the ball in court (signs of rust). And since the pregnancy, there's only one tournament I can think of (Miami 2018) where there was some "oomph" behind her groundstrokes. There is absolutely nothing on her ball these days and that won't cut it at this level. At first I though it was because she (ostensibly?) changed rackets but it's been going on for so long now that it can't be the actual reason.

Registered
At this point Azarenka is retiring before Serena, Venus and Clijster.

Milk and honey
I think Vika's issue is lack of consistency. Over the past few years, there have been so many stops and starts with the custody battle and various injuries. I don't Vika has ever been a player who hits the ground running after a long layoff - and it remains a huge question mark whether or not she'll be able to play a full schedule at this point in her career without something bothering her.

Gamewise, she just can't keep the ball in court (signs of rust). And since the pregnancy, there's only one tournament I can think of (Miami 2018) where there was some "oomph" behind her groundstrokes. There is absolutely nothing on her ball these days and that won't cut it at this level. At first I though it was because she (ostensibly?) changed rackets but it's been going on for so long now that it can't be the actual reason.
It鈥檚 so weird watching Victoria literally struggle to put mid-court balls away these days when there was a time even three-quarter depth balls meant instant knockout. Especially since the decline has been over a pretty short space of time, not 10-15 years or something.

As a Sharapova fan, certain matches in 2012 give me particular war flashbacks as there were times where you felt there was nothing you could do. Hit the ball too deep, and you would risk making an UE. If somehow you kept it inside the court, Vika鈥檚 would use your pace and redirect it. Hit the ball too short (which is those days was literally anything 2 metres inside of the court and beyond) and she would pounce on impact with her then exceptional timing. The serve was never a strength but it wasn鈥檛 a liability, and there was just enough net skill and feel, combined with great control of the racket face which produced great angles, to afford some back up plans if the groundies alone weren鈥檛 cutting it. Her forehand and backhand struck fear into every player at one point, in one fluid swing she could end the point when you least expected it. I genuinely struggle to think of a player in recent times who has fallen as far as Vika has - certainly no one who was as naturally talented as she was.

Registered
What an odd comment. Djokovic also does yoga. Andy Murray does yoga. Serena does yoga. Your body can become quite strong from yoga.
Nothing odd about it. i never said "don't do yoga". i do yoga. it's great. do you really think Serena and Murray do nothing but yoga? they are very solidly built. Look at Azarenka's frame when she was at the top vs now and the difference in her power. i said she needs to bulk up.

Registered
Vika was quite skinny in 2012 and then when she put on a little bit of weight in 2013 people started calling her "fridge." In 2015 and 2016 when she played very well she was skinnier again. The problem is clearly mental.

I'm sad (though not surprised) to see Vika lose like this again, but amazed by Venus. I have questioned why she keeps playing, but this match showed why.

Venus should easily beat her sister based on how they both played, but I would be shocked if that actually happens.
i rewatched the highlights of her US and Aus Open matches against Kerber the other day. Her frame was noticeable sturdier than it's been for the past couple of years. i'm not in any way saying she was ever fat but her arms and core were much stronger and that's where she generated all her power from. the same thing happened to Hantucova and Ivanovic when they got model skinny.

Registered
The Spirit of Smitten getting into Vika's eyes at one point in the first set lol.

Venus was vintage af.
I think your observation should have been "....Venus is vintage...." lol, that woman is easily 46 or 47 if she is a day. As long as she doesn't have to run or go to net and then drop back, she gets to continue to use those gargantuan legs and arms.....they talk about "wingspan" in the NBA....lol.....Venus needs her own special statistics to measure and highlight her W-S, just like little sis needs to have her own special column for body statistics.....she is gargantuan in her own special way.....lol.

Registered
Just finished reading all the comments here. It was so much fun to read retrospectively.

if u don't want to read all, imo:
best comment: i-goat (strong-era, pierre after as supportive comments if u have time) and moonballpusher
(undecided both are pretty good)
worst comment: ivory

overall most of the comments include good observations.

i liked users` slow and sure stance towards azarenka so much even if the defeat was a clear one, it seems people here were thinking the best for her and did not drag her down much. increased the credibility of this forum in my eyes.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts