Registered
37,964 Posts
Guest career is over!

(Just for old time's sake)

Reactions: Pierre. and VeeJJ

·
Registered
15,828 Posts
vee's kick serve is looking much better!!!

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
Venus you ain't beating both of us in the same tournament :lol:

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
As happy as I am for Vee, Poor Vika, really turning into the tragedy of tennis. Nothings working.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I know the highlights might not represent the quality of the whole match but they both looked pretty good from what i saw.

If Venus has sorted out her serve with this new motion she will be a threat again. hopefully she doesn't the caring big sis role when facing Serena.

Still maintain Azarenka needs to focus less on her yoga/IG friendly figure and get that solid build back that gave her that extra power she so desperately needs at this stage of her career.

·
Registered
23,815 Posts
Vee hitting some serving bombs there - definitely will help her out if she can maintain that for the USO!

70% FS , winning 65% od 2nd serve points and only 1 DF :)

Let's see how she does against Serena!

·
Registered
20,539 Posts
One of these players is very close towards retirement.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Strange
The current Prague event has almost no fans, but the exhibition events in Czechia had about 200 fans in the stands.
The Palermo had fans, but this event has no fans.....why the difference?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Vika seems so motivated but just lacks...everything? It's disheartening.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Never count Venus out, y'all!
Her new service motion looks awesome. Very hard to read. I'm amazed that she was able to change it this late in her career. She just loves the game so much and has done so much for this sport, I feel she is so unappreciated. We all know Venus loves playing at the Olympics; I see these new improvements in her game as her making sure she gets a spot on that Olympic team next year. She is one of only two players to have medals in singles, doubles and mixed; she could become the only player to win GOLD in all three events if she can find herself a decent partner for mixed.

Regarding Vika - I agree with the post above that she seems motivated (unlike Sloane Stephens who clearly just shows up) but she is just really struggling out there. I think her personal life is probably still chaotic and that must make it very tough to focus on tennis. It's a shame really, we know she is so much better than her current form.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Strange
The current Prague event has almost no fans, but the exhibition events in Czechia had about 200 fans in the stands.
The Palermo had fans, but this event has no fans.....why the difference?
It's pretty obvious that it's all to do with the Covid-19 restrictions in place in each location.

The current Prague event is being played at a club with a far smaller capacity for fans than the stadium used for the exhibitions. From what I can see, the total capacity is only two or three hundred at the most, compared with three thousand or so. On Court 10 (miles away from the stands!) they've socially spaced about 20 chairs, but there weren't any spectators when I was watching Siegemund play Sherif. The stadium where they had the TipSport exhibitions is the site normally used for the Prague WTA event as well (the clay centre court backs onto the hard centre court), but not this time.

Palermo was allowed by the city council to have 350 spectators (I made a mistake in another thread - I replied to someone quoting 240, which was the figure I had seen before they started the tournament). Lexington simply isn't allowed any, and I doubt that any American tournament in the forseeable future will be allowed to have spectators.

·
Premium Member
63,354 Posts
Congrats Venus :love:

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Guest needs to just reevaluate her entire life choices.

Venus is amazing 👏 😍 💖 💕 Such a Queen 👸🏿

Reactions: WhistleCleaner

·
Registered
442 Posts
Azarenka was ill prepared. Of course, anyone can lose the first match after a long break, but she could not even impose a fight.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I couldn't hear it on the stream either. Here it is (skip to 13:40)

[/QUOTE]

Fantastic interview. Lovely to hear the appreciation for all the health care workers and fans, and understanding of how different things are now. Very personal and professional at the same time. One of the best on court interviews I can remember - though of course it's been a while!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
It's been a while since I've seen yesterday's combination of power and consistency from Venus.
I was grinning as she served out the first set, playing a few points in which she simply overpowered Vika from the baseline.
I loved her attitude and I loved her look.
She appeared so fit, so fresh, so grateful, and so ready for the next chapter.

I don't care whether she wins or loses...OK, I'm lying, lol.
What I mean is that I wouldn't pressure her to win. I just want her to be able to cleanly express the talent that she still has, and the winning will take care of itself.
I honestly think that Vika was made to look worse than she was considering that she also hasn't played in a while and hadn't regained her top form even before corona.
I'm the eternal optimist when it comes to Venus and even I was surprised by her level yesterday. So I wouldn't write off the Belarusian based on this result, though she clearly has work to do.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts