Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty similar scoreline to their Monterrey match. Bouzková's retrieving just makes it hard for Jo to find the winner at the end of the rally.

Reactions: Shvedbarilescu

·
Banned
86,106 Posts

·
Registered
44,248 Posts
Good win for Marie. She has improved so consistently over the last years and is able to retrieve any kind of pace at this point! Shame for Jo to restart the season like this, but she had some issues in the second game already!

·
Registered
10,777 Posts
Jo too messy, Marie looked exhausted midway through the second and instead of applying pressure Jo was ballooning the ball about.

Great retrieving from Bouzkova, I really like her game. Played well.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Jo just wasn't able to sustain any sort of form in this match long enough to take any control in it. Marie wobbled a bit in the second set but she pulled herself together towards the end, made fewer errors than Konta. A good win for Bouzkova, who would have lost that match, I am sure, had she allowed Konta to snatch the second set. Beating Konta again will bring back memories of Monterrey where she played so well before the season went into lockdown.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I only saw the last few points but it sounds like it was a good first match back for Marie. Anyone know what was wrong with Jo? Is she unwell? The camera was swinging all over the place at the end on Amazon and seemed to be at a strange angle too. I hope it's not like that all the time
:sick:😂

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
A never in doubt result

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Konta missing a lot, Bouzkova moved well and was more solid. I imagine Jo was keen for match practice but this small tournament has a ridiculously string field!

Reactions: Shvedbarilescu

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
35,497 Posts
I am sad I missed this match, but I am very happy Marie won and played well. I hope she has another great week here. It's great to see Marie continue to improve. She has been on a consistent upswing ever since she first entered the rankings and I see no sign of that stopping anytime soon. I think her love, passion and enthusiasm for the sport keeps carrying her further and further up the rankings and long may it continue to do so.

Tough draw for Jo, I hope she gets some wins in over the next two NY tournaments.

·
Registered
11,736 Posts
Frustrating and disappointing - was really hoping Jo Ko could go on a run here. This was a really rough first round draw, Bouzkova can be very tough to beat on hardcourts. Seems like she picked up where she left in Monterrey.

·
Registered
11,634 Posts
I just read Jo had heart palpitations during the match.

Not good....

Get well soon Jo

·
Milk and honey
3,724 Posts
Yes, early on Jo was having heart palpitations and had to take a MTO for it. Apparently several times in the last few months she has had her heart rate shoot up randomly which leaves her very short of breath. Not surprised at this result given she is playing a pusher, and she’s rusty as all hell. Still not even fully convinced her now chronic knee injury is playing ball. Hoping that she just gets herself 100% and continues to get more matches in as she was doing before the break, although even then the knee was clearly bothering her. 😕

1 - 20 of 24 Posts