Tennis Forum banner

81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
that was enough practice. Serena spent almost 8 hours on court over three matches. All three sets. It may not be pretty, but she needs these kind of grinding matches to get into form and losing is the best lesson. I guarantee that Serena now knows all the areas she needs to work on. Mostly the serve. Shelby is also a very steady player. Not too many holes in her game...nothing outstanding but nothing too weak.

·
Registered
44,400 Posts
Serena put a much better effort in than I would have expected. So this makes this loss a lot more frustrating.
For some reason I picked Rogers to the SF here when the draw came out. It is just so typical WTA, but it still annoys me how draws never hold up.
Congrats to Rogers though. She has definitely shown some good tennis here.

·
Come on 24th!
7,468 Posts
She said she for the first time didn't come here to win, she just wanted to get some matches under her belt.

So I guess she's got what she wanted.

Good old GM...some of the comments here.

·
Registered
14,217 Posts
Um being extra careful is one thing, but being scared to bump tennis racquets — when every single other player is doing so — is definitely weird. She's taking it to the next level and there's nothing wrong with that but it is abnormal, let's be honest with ourselves. Weird does not mean bad.
Maybe it’s because every other player is not missing part of their lung like Serena is? Serena is obviously going to extra cautious about COVID.

·
Registered
845 Posts
USTA tried so hard to pave the way, but what one could do when SW moves like a sloth these days? pathetic performance.
Still moves and hits better than Vika though kekw

·
Art & Futures
20,576 Posts
maybe they should stop rigging draws so Serena faces Venus in an early round....

anyways, great job Shelby!!

·
Art & Futures
20,576 Posts
Um being extra careful is one thing, but being scared to bump tennis racquets — when every single other player is doing so — is definitely weird. She's taking it to the next level and there's nothing wrong with that but it is abnormal, let's be honest with ourselves. Weird does not mean bad.
While those words don't necessarily have bad definition, they often have a negative or ostracizing connotation.

369 Posts
Shelby! :love: this week has been such a big boost for her ranking. She really seems to have gotten in better shape during the break, too.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Let’s face some hard facts.

A Shelby, Snow White, or Sevastova would never even dream of toppling Serena late in a third set five years ago.

I hope Serena goes deep in New York, but the only two players she is guaranteed to beat in the draw are Venus and Azarenka.

Sharapova has unfortunately retired.

·
Premium Member
41,598 Posts

Ridiculous, horrendous, shitty highlights. Better to do nothing than this. Really. Seriously. Stop being a joke, WTA, you're wasting our time. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Not surprised! Before Rogers used to be a very solid player. And Serena won the family fight with her serve. Venus was better for almost 2 sets, and gave up in 3rd because of age. Lexington Serena has nothing left to win the USO, even in a poor field.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I know right ? All these comments from Serena tards in denial... The woman is 39 for God's sake. Which is very old for a tennis player. You would expect they'd deal with it but they just can't.
Double standards though? She rightfully chooses to continue to play at that age, clearly past her best and fans tell haters to shut up as it's her choice(same with Venus, and Maria prior).......well with HER choice, comes the other side. If she continues a public career, then she is subject to public criticism. She plays at 39 years old and produces shi**y tennis, then people are free to comment on it. I don't see the issue.

The irony of it is Serena fans are just as bad as Serena haters...both are guilty.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
Wow, I did not see this coming. It looked like a straight set victory for Williams at some point of the 2nd set. But Shelby has proven in the past that she's a dangerous loomer when she is healthy.

Some of these comments are harsh. She was tired. Nothing more to read into it.
When you are at Serena's age your pace of recuperation is slower.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
So, Serena wasn’t building up her fitness during lockdown then. What’s the point of banging away at trying to get 24 if you don’t take it seriously.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts