Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Excellent serving and aggression from Shelby. She didn't get broken once in the last 2 sets. Very composed performance from Shelby after getting routined the first set. She moved Serena around well, threw in a drop shot and slice once in a while and exposed her movement. Serena looked tired towards the end; she wasn't moving her legs much, especially in the TB. Shelby broke Serena's win streak against players with >100 rank (since Razzano) and her streak of winning matches after getting the first set (since Sveta 2016)

3rd top 10 win for her, and on to the semis!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Mess. She missed a routine forehand at 3-1* in the TB to go up. At this point it's all mental for her. If she can get some semblance of the mental strength she had a few years ago, 24+ wouldn't be an issue.

At least it's an MM.

·
Premium Member
19,754 Posts
Serena missed so many returns and played a complete mess the last two sets. What a disaster. lol

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
That forehand miss at 3-1 in TB was shocking.....

Serena looked spent, Shelby much fresher of the two.

Serena can’t win matches on aura alone anymore.

The end is nigh, just don’t know if she will go out with a bang or not.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Sadly, I'm afraid this is the end for Serena. The last two years have been devastating, but at least she was still a competitive player near the top.
This year she is barely a shadow of the player she once was and has lost literally everything that once made her a great player.

Her losses this year are absolutely shocking:

6-4 6-7 7-5 to Wang
7-6 3-6 7-6 to Sevastova
1-6 6-4 7-6 to Rogers

So 23 it is.

·
Banned
86,106 Posts

·
Registered
19,897 Posts
Shelby's serve was great, despite missing quite a proportion of first serves. Really mixed it well, even second serves were generally well placed. Very close match overall, little between them but Shelby was perhaps a little stronger when she needed to produce it. Serena was not bad though she can make mistakes off deep mid court balls and can't track balls as easily as she used to.

·
Banned
7,874 Posts
LOL - Shelbs was FANTASTIC!!!! 116 in the world 😁

Great play by Shelby Selbs

·
Registered
16,115 Posts
Serena gassed, better hope this USO for easy draws

Reactions: M.A.S.L.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sadly, I'm afraid this is the end for Serena. The last two years have been devastating, but at least she was still a competitive player near the top.
This year she is barely a shadow of the player she once was and has lost literally everything that once made her a great player.

Her losses this year are absolutely shocking:

6-4 6-7 7-5 to Wang
7-6 3-6 7-6 to Sevastova
1-6 6-4 7-6 to Rogers

So 23 it is.
Pretty much....I agree. She chose motherhood, being a wifey, and business woman over becoming the undisputed GOAT. I always knew she would struggle coming back.

·
Premium Member
40,185 Posts
Should have kept losing the first set. 🤡

1 - 20 of 112 Posts