Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Coco "Houdini" Gauff, don't know how she keeps doing this lol. Like I said in the LC thread, no matter what she does during the set, at the business end of the set she focuses and doesn't give you an inch. Ons clowned a bit after 4-2 in the second and then it went all downhill for her. Coco has boundless energy, while Ons looked wiped out towards the end.
10-2 in deciding sets, so impressive for just a 16 year old.

Brady is going to be tough to beat, she crushed Marie, but who knows what will happen?

·
Registered
31,848 Posts
Gauff, or really her mentality, are extremely impressive. But my god her "C'mon's" are the most annoying I can remember from anyone.

Jabeur is so bizarre. Sooooooo talented but seemingly lacking in fitness and overall commitment to tennis. She has been improving these last few years but this match also kind of sums her up.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Honestly, I was definitely impressed that she pulled this off.
I'd thought Jabeur was powerful and tricky enough to present severe problems for Coco and when I tuned in during the 2nd set it seemed so.
But Gauff played very maturely to turn the match around late in the 2nd set through sheer strength of will and by taking advantage of Jabeur's lapses.
Well done, really.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Really impressive comeback. She is so good at managing the ebbs and flows of matches, forcing her opponents to get tight. I don’t know how she is so mature at 16, already winning so many matches that she shouldn’t.

If Jabeur was fitter, she could easily be a top 15 player. It will always let her down.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Coco "Houdini" Gauff, don't know how she keeps doing this lol. Like I said in the LC thread, no matter what she does during the set, at the business end of the set she focuses and doesn't give you an inch. Ons clowned a bit after 4-2 in the second and then it went all downhill for her. Coco has boundless energy, while Ons looked wiped out towards the end.

Brady is going to be tough to beat, she crushed Marie, but who knows what will happen?
Everybody says that for every match, and then they fold. Sabalenka should have beaten her, Jabeur should have beaten her . They didn't. I'm not impressed with this girl. Its just that these grown women can get the job done.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I started watching the match at 4-5 first set and was sure Ons was going to win 😂 But I also know that if Coco stuck herself in there and tried to pressure Ons in long rallies, the girl will break. And I was right. Mentally, once Ons lost it, it was really hard for her to get back to her groove, while for Coco every second she was looking for an opportunity to win. Never once did I see her give up on a match. Although I do wish she would sometimes restrain herself from saying comon when an opponent hits an unforced error (I know the points were tense at the moment, so I give her a pass, as she was trying to pump herself up, not to get into the opponent's head, though that did happen I guess because Ons was somehow frustrated by something Coco did in the match). Nevertheless, Coco is clearly going to be a champion. She already has many haters and also many many many fans!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Brat? Stay pressed sweetie. But anyway Ons was amazing for the first set and a half then she seemed to run out of gas and Coco jumped all over her. Her ability to stay focused and compete even when her backs against the wall is admirable and she definitely raised her level after holding for 3-4 in the second. So many players would have imploded down a set and a break but gauff has a champions mentality and it will suit her well as her career develops

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everybody says that for every match, and then they fold. Sabalenka should have beaten her, Jabeur should have beaten her . They didn't. I'm not impressed with this girl. Its just that these grown women can get the job done.
*cannot

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Although I do wish she would sometimes restrain herself from saying comon when an opponent hits an unforced error (I know the points were tense at the moment, so I give her a pass, as she was trying to pump herself up, not to get into the opponent's head, though that did happen I guess because Ons was somehow frustrated by something Coco did in the match). /QUOTE]
I see your point, but it doesn’t bother me when she shouts “Come on!” I’d much rather a player do it at the end of the rally than grunt nonstop throughout.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ugh....someone, anyone, beat her please. I do not like the brat.
Come on's can get annoying\rude on the errors but on winners its fine but she is not a brat she is so composed!

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Didn't watch the match, but lol @ Jabeur 35% of 1st serves in. That's junior level

Brady has been insane all year (in pro matches and exhibitions) but unlike Bouzkova, Gauff can mix it up and not give her the same ball.

·
Registered
18,156 Posts
As i said two years ago.. She will be the GOAT.
COME ON SWEETIE!! WIN IT ALL!!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts