Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
16,022 Posts
No, she gave Birth to slam winners like Karolina and Ostapenko, how could she.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
More like 2015-2020. Sharapova still dominated her throughout 2012, 2013 and 2014. No way that Halep is second to Serena pre-2014.

I would say she was 4th best though.

1. Serena
2. Sharapova
3. Azarenka
4. Halep

Then Kerber got great after 2015 and I actually think Kerber is the second best player after Serena from 2015-now.
I will give you Sharapova, Maria played 6 finals, won 2 and also made the WTA Finals in that time (2010-2019), but I won't Azarenka or Kerber, and like both (been following Vika since before I even knew of Halep's existence if we're being honest). But what this girl has achieved so far it's undeniably amazing. Grand Slam finals on all surfaces, which other than her only Serena and Maria can also claim, and of course never leaving the top 10 since she entered it early in 2014.

Yes, she still has trouble closing, I mean she should have had easily 3 slams and 25 titles by now if she was a closer, but even so that doesn't detract from the simple fact that overall she's been second only to Serena as far as being the most consistent player on tour this decade. Maria still has higher highs, but also also much lower lows, and I don't think that's debatable. Also the whole ban thing makes her achievements during that time fogy, and I understand why some people won't consider her for this top. I'm not among them, although I do believe that FO 2014 final might have had a different outcome if not for you know what.
I don't find anything about Sharapova's achievements foggy, but that goes without saying.

Yeah, I guess I would put Halep above Vika and Kerber noe that you mention it. She is the only player aside from S & M that has strong results on every surface. While Kerber and Vika suck on anything but grass and hardcourts...vika obviously is not as good on grass as she is on hardcourt.

·
Registered
16,022 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Yes she has had many setbacks. But she keeps battling and fighting. Consistenscy deserves respect. Again she is 5'5 and not as powerful as many girls. But she keep fighting and has made a very good career for herself
She's listed as 5'6" on both the WTA and Wimbledon websites. I really wish people would stop trying to make Halep seem smaller than she really is. And she's not weak either: there's plenty of musculature on that frame. Hell, she looked far more muscular than 5'9" Svitolina...

Yes, she's short. But not much shorter than Kerber (5'8"), who has 3 Slams, or Stephens (5'7"), who has just as many majors as she does.

Ash Barty? 5'5", but at the young age of 23, already has the FO title that evaded Simona until just last year. Ash isn't exactly bulging with muscle, either.

Let's not forget about Justine Henin. Her height? 5'6", just like Simona (I think 1cm shorter, actually). But she finished with 7 Slams and a gold medal. Again, she's not built like the Hulk, but managed just fine.

So why was the diminutive Belgian able to perform so much better than the similarly-sized Romanian? Talent. It's something Henin had in spades. Simona doesn't have half (or even a quarter, perhaps) the the talent of Justine, and hasn't been able to win the big ones nearly as much, despite playing in a time of lower top-level talent.

So, please, please stop with the "she's so small" BS. Nonsense. Serena's 5'9" and is 19-2 (18 straight) against 6'2" Sharapova. She's 18-4 (10-0 in majors) against Azarenka, who is 6'0". There are plenty of other examples.

If being tall and/or powerful were all that was necessary to be successful, then you'd figure Pliskova would have at least won a few Slams by now. Kvitova? You'd figure she'd have a lot more than two.

Simona works her ass off, and gets the most she can out of her (relatively) short height and limited talent. I'll applaud her for that - it's commendable. But let's not act like her height is some insurmountable hurdle though - better players have shown it's no obstacle to success.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Justine Henin probably had the best timing and technique in her shots. And she really worked hard on getting stronger.

To the point it broke her body.

Not to mention the mental aspect, she was as hungry as Serena. Not to mention Henin was always very offensive in order to generate that power to begin with. If she was more defensive like Halep she would have never been that successful.

Reactions: Ed Hominan

·
Registered
12,062 Posts
i dont think serena is the favorite. halep is the favorite. see the rankings.

Reactions: lima isai

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
She's listed as 5'6" on both the WTA and Wimbledon websites. I really wish people would stop trying to make Halep seem smaller than she really is. And she's not weak either: there's plenty of musculature on that frame. Hell, she looked far more muscular than 5'9" Svitolina...

Yes, she's short. But not much shorter than Kerber (5'8"), who has 3 Slams, or Stephens (5'7"), who has just as many majors as she does.

Ash Barty? 5'5", but at the young age of 23, already has the FO title that evaded Simona until just last year. Ash isn't exactly bulging with muscle, either.

Let's not forget about Justine Henin. Her height? 5'6", just like Simona (I think 1cm shorter, actually). But she finished with 7 Slams and a gold medal. Again, she's not built like the Hulk, but managed just fine.

So why was the diminutive Belgian able to perform so much better than the similarly-sized Romanian? Talent. It's something Henin had in spades. Simona doesn't have half (or even a quarter, perhaps) the the talent of Justine, and hasn't been able to win the big ones nearly as much, despite playing in a time of lower top-level talent.

So, please, please stop with the "she's so small" BS. Nonsense. Serena's 5'9" and is 19-2 (18 straight) against 6'2" Sharapova. She's 18-4 (10-0 in majors) against Azarenka, who is 6'0". There are plenty of other examples.

If being tall and/or powerful were all that was necessary to be successful, then you'd figure Pliskova would have at least won a few Slams by now. Kvitova? You'd figure she'd have a lot more than two.

Simona works her ass off, and gets the most she can out of her (relatively) short height and limited talent. I'll applaud her for that - it's commendable. But let's not act like her height is some insurmountable hurdle though - better players have shown it's no obstacle to success.
Henin was a once-in-a-generation freak of nature to do what she did in the era of "big babe tennis". Not many players of Henin's stature will dominate the game. Halep is easily smaller than the average WTA player, so I'm not sure what this whole diatribe here is about. That is not the only factor of success of course, but it is a major factor.

And Serena has said she's a little above 5'10 since 2000, which is borne out in any pictures of her with similar height players. The last time she was 5'9 was as a teenager breaking through on tour, but her bio was never updated. She's not in anyway an example of players hampered by physical limitations. That would be a ridiculous claim. She is probably the female player in history most optimally built to maximize power, balance and speed. Beyond a certain height, you obviously start getting diminishing returns. Hence, the Karlovics and Isners of the world are hardly the most consequential of their peers. Halep is obviously below optimal physique for the sport.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Pretty sure by the time her career is over only the usual trolls will still debate that. With this final she is guaranteed to become the active player with the most consecutive weeks in the top 10. And making her 5th GS final she has overtaken Azarenka (was already ahead of Kvitova and Muguruza who each have 3).

Most who've followed tennis for long enough have know this could be a possibility ever since Simona broke out in 2013 by winning 6 titles on all surfaces (yet even then there were plenty of people trying to discredit such a unique performance that only a handful of players ever achieved).
To overtake Vika, Simo still needs a second GS title tho. 2 GS > 1 GS+many finals

·
Banned
446 Posts
Justine Henin probably had the best timing and technique in her shots. And she really worked hard on getting stronger.
I have watched both and at that time Henin was my favourite, following tennis since the 90s. I also enjoyed the talent if Hingis.

Anyway, if you ask me Halep has more power than these players. Her power is underrated, see what Serena said about Halep and that was back in 2013 at Wimbledon.

In my opinion Halep is the strongest as generating power world no 1 of the last 2 decades, I would even say of the last 25 years. Some people in here don't know Halep very well and they are influencing maybe Halep's fans to believe she doesn't have power. She has less power than Venus, Sharapova and Pliskova, who are 20 cms taller. But still isn't far from them and can harm especially with the monstrous forehands. Regarding the backhand, it's more a shot of control, her backhand is so good that doesn't need to waste energy especially because she's not a stupid basher on backhand. Way before in the past we had players using fucking slicing.

41 - 60 of 111 Posts