Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's face it folks when Martina was number one so many people were whining that #1 does not mean anything and that she did not deserve it but we have now seen how Lindsay, Jennifer and Venus had to work like hell just to get there and NONE of them will be able to efficiently hold on to the ranking for very long. The depth has been there for a quite few years now so that whole argument is just hogwash. The fact is that Martina was amazingly efficient and a hard worker. She stayed there a long time by being consistent and winning so many of her matches quickly which allowed her to stay more injury free. Jennifer, Lindsay and Venus all suffered either injuries or losses or both as soon as they got there. JUST GETTING TO #1 IS AN HONOR AND A GREAT ACHIEVEMENT SO BE PROUD VENUS, LINDSAY AND JENNIFER AND THEIR FANS! :D

My point is that Martina's amazing runs at #1 (which could very well happen again this year:D:D:D:D:D:D:D) is UNDERAPPRECIATED!!! Martina, people on thi board and around the world are now finding out just how hard it was and still is to be #1 and TO STAY THERE !

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
That was a great tribute to Martina, truefreud. People dont realize how hard it is to get there, and dont appreciate what it really means.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
For sure it is a great achievement! However, since Jen found her form, and Venus started dominating, it is now gone. I think if Martina got it back, it would be a much bigger fight than it was in 97-99!

·
Registered
836 Posts
:D Another great post from Truefruend!!

Totally agree with everything you say!

I cant wait till Martina regains the spot.

When is the soonest this can happen?

·
Banned
692 Posts
Great post, it explains clearly how the number 1 position can be deserved form anyone who reaches it!

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
She will get the number 1 ranking in atleast 4 months..:rolleyes:
Great post!!!!:)

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! What a great day for me this has been. Earlier today I played against a 4.0 player (I am only 3.5) and I WON!!!!!!

For sure he was stronger on his groundstrokes and I got overpowered and was shell shocked in the first set. He got out 3-0 quickly and then won 6-3. In the second set my serve was extremely precise and very difficult to read and I had NO DOUBLE FAULTS and 2 ACES (1 power and 1 placement!). I started to slice my backhand with angles and hit several dropshots and lobs for winners while I started really mixing up my forehands with exaggerated topspin, slices and angles with the occasional put away. I even hit some volleys and swinging volleys so I won the second set 6-4! By the third set his big serve was really breaking down so either I could attack the return or he hit double faults while I continued to serve deep and slippery serve with NO DOUBLE FAULTS again. He was tired so he started to come to the net but soon the passing shots were working well from and the lobs too. Several times I was able to dip forehand and backhand slices right on his shoesstrings and then came in quickly to take the ball out of the air. He caught onto to that once time and was in position to block it back so at the last second I opened my racquet face up and hit a winning lob of off his volley. That really rattled him and I closed out the match with an inside-out forehand angle winner. 6-2 in the third.

Then I came home and saw that SANDRINE won and so did AMELIE!!!:D

I can say that I never thought I could play so calmly and calculatingly against a 4.0 player. Makes me think I should get reevaluated.:D

·
Everything Fades Away
130,094 Posts
Holding last year the Number one for so many weeks without winning tourneys was a shame for the wta-ranking and tour.
:p :p :p Was that impressing??? LMAO!!!!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Atleast she doesn't lose twenty billion straight matches to her rival.

::looks at Oizos avatar::

:kiss:

·
Team WTAworld, The Martian Llama
20,264 Posts
Too right. Martina's achievement was fantastic, especially considering her age as well, and she doesn't get the credit for it, that she should!!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Oizo - Your so funny...NOT

Well done on winning your match treufreund. You sound like your a couter puncher, and a court magician just like Marti!!

Go Marti take whats rightfully yours...Get that no1 back!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
Congratulations for winning your match truefreund, sounds like you are a great player. I have only played tennis like 3 times, and I am not very good.

I cant wait for Martina to get back to top spot! Does nayone tihnk she could win Roland Garros?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
4,493 Posts
Great win Treufreund :eek:

Well Martina ruled the wta before and she will do it again! (i hope ;) )

·
Premium Member
19,900 Posts
I think anyone who stays at #1 with todays increased depth now that would be more impressive. During Hingis's reign noone was really better than her or could really match her. She was the best at that time, and she still is good now but just lacking confidence. I have never ever seen Hingis lose like she did at the AO, it was shocking and suprising. If she has the lead she usually finishes it off and that was such a shame to see.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts