Tennis Forum banner

How would you rate the uniqueness of Leylah's game?

• She is one of the most unique player I've ever seen

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • She's quite unique with this rising-ball play, dropshots, etc, but not too much

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • She has some tricks, but nothing exceptional

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • There's nothing special in her game at all

Votes: 5 21.7%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of her game in general?
For me her game isn't the most unique (like Hsie's or Jabeur's) but most attractive, because the creativity doesn't hurt the overall attacking style.
She has a perfect proportion of school and creativity, I'd say 80x20, whereas the other players often are more stereotyped and rely on their power/movement or vice versa are too creative and sometimes are not able to win points easily.
Tennis Racketlon Sports equipment Tennis player Tennis Equipment

Also it occurred to me that Leylah is the perfect example of how well could genes combined:
Game talent and energy from latin + hard working and strong mentality from asian :)
+ decent facilities of western country = 馃挘

Registered
Fair enough 馃槶馃槶馃槶
View attachment 203092
Aww don't worry! When Leylah wins more next year people will be flocking here to discuss her play and her newly improved serve! 馃馃

As pretty much a tennis noob, I don't have much to add. I gravitate more towards her on court attitude more than anything. I love how she's so passionate, fiery and competitive about tennis and then just a super sweet person outside of tennis. But I do appreciate her ability to mask her drop shots. And I am always awed by her foot speed and ability to redirect the ball.

Registered
What I鈥檓 most impressed about with Leylah is her instincts on the court. She knows the important points and is not afraid of the moment. She will go for her shots even when it鈥檚 a big point. Sometimes it works鈥 like it did at the Us open, but sometimes it doesn鈥檛, like that poorly executed drop shot against Shelby Roger at Indian Wells. But she is never afraid to go for it, and when she gets better at execution she鈥檚 going to be a scary big point player.

She has great instincts on when to approach the net. Her transition game has improved so much, and it鈥檚 scary to think that she鈥檚 not satisfied and wants to get better. Watch her match against Sorribes Tormo earlier in the year at Monterrey on how to execute the transition game against a tough baseline grinder. She also showed a much improved transition game at Indian wells. The way she wrong foots her opponents and is at net before her opponents realizes it is almost Federer-like. Its her transition game that will set her apart from all the vanilla baseline bashers in the women鈥檚 game.

She knows when the crowd is on her side and when to use the energy of the crowd. That was on full display at the US open. But she also knows how to handle a hostile crowd. That was evident in her match against Renata Zarazua in Acapulco in 2020, where the crowd was against her and she had to summon her own energy at crucial times.

Basically, I think that she is the most compelling player on tour when you combine the mental, physical, and strategical aspects of the game.

Registered
Watch her match against Sorribes Tormo earlier in the year at Monterrey on how to execute the transition game against a tough baseline grinder.
Do you know where I could watch that match? I have been looking to watch her past matches since I didn't really watch her before the USO. I have WTA TV but they only have her match with Golubic on there.

Registered
Do you know where I could watch that match? I have been looking to watch her past matches since I didn't really watch her before the USO. I have WTA TV but they only have her match with Golubic on there.
I saw the match on the tennis channel plus a while back, but they probably still have it on archive, can check for you when I get back home.

Registered
Great post! I'd only add to these aspects the technical one.
I agree, her technical aspects are compelling as well. First of all, she stands extremely close to the baseline, which allows her to take time away from her opponent and has the effect of making her shots seem bigger than they actually are. This is possible because of her exquisite timing and the short take back on her forehand. Her forehand is unlike any other player on tour, it鈥檚 a straight arm forehand with a short takeback and wrist lag that is actually closer to most atp forehands in its technical aspects.

I think the technical aspects of her game are compelling because she actually has some deficiencies, namely her serve placement and disguise are lacking, and her volleys are not as consistent as they can be. It shows that she got to where she is despite these weaknesses and there are areas in her game which she can still improve to get her higher in the rankings.

Art & Futures
She has a lot of shot talent

she'll need more experience and results to really become sensational, though you don't really need to be a sensational shotmaker like Hsieh and Radwanska to be a grand slam champ

Reactions: Treant

Registered
Her movement and defense form the backbone of her game. I had her pegged as a human backboard type player, who can frustrate her opponents into errors. But this does NOT win big tourneys.....you are not going to get through massive hitters like Sabalenka, Osaka, Rybakina with defense alone. Maybe one or two of them on a great day, but not to win a Slam or other big tourney. Then you have to get by truly exceptional all round players like Barty, Halep, and a 100% in form Andreescu for example. Defense simply cannot prevail here......ask Svitolina.

What Leyalh has done this year was add offense to her game by getting physically stronger and attacking balls to finish off points on her terms on a consistent basis. This is new. Because she is such a great mover, she patiently works the point to put herself in a position to do this. Her great movement allows her to set up and launch her small fame into a winner, unloading her whole body into the winning shot. When you watch Sabalenka or prime Bianca for example, they have such overwhelming power that they can hit winners from everywhere, flat footed even. Leylah obviously cannot do this. Her confidence has soared with this success, and will go up from here I think.

But again, her defense and movement will always be her biggest strengths. If her mentality continues to grow as well.....she is going to be a nightmare to play no matter who is on the other side of the net. I have her to finish in the top 10 in 2022.

Registered
Leylah's greatest strength will always be her drive, determination, tenacity, and focus. The only other tennis player I would put in the same category as her in those elements is a guy named Nadal - and I've been watching tennis for a few decades.

I first saw her when she was 15 years old, and I was impressed immediately (and I'm not easily impressed). Even when she was 15, she was more focussed and determined than the great majority of pro players. And she already had lots of guts in her play.
I've watched her a lot since then, and it's been enjoyable to see the evolution. I'm not expecting a run like the U.S. Open to happen on a regular basis - but I think she can be solidly in the top 20 for most of her career.

She is more successful when she is creative and unpredictable. Sometimes she stubbornly tries to get into a baseline bashing contest with her opponents - as if to 'prove' that she can hit with them... and that's when it doesn't go so well for her.
If she remains disciplined and confident enough to play her natural game of creative geometry, and not be lured into a baseline bashing contest, she will be fine.

I'd love to see Jabeur take her under her wing and give her some tips, as I think she could learn a lot from Jabeur's experience in employing a creative style of play.

Art & Futures
Leylah's greatest strength will always be her drive, determination, tenacity, and focus. The only other tennis player I would put in the same category as her in those elements is a guy named Nadal - and I've been watching tennis for a few decades.

I first saw her when she was 15 years old, and I was impressed immediately (and I'm not easily impressed). Even when she was 15, she was more focussed and determined than the great majority of pro players. And she already had lots of guts in her play.
I've watched her a lot since then, and it's been enjoyable to see the evolution. I'm not expecting a run like the U.S. Open to happen on a regular basis - but I think she can be solidly in the top 20 for most of her career.

She is more successful when she is creative and unpredictable. Sometimes she stubbornly tries to get into a baseline bashing contest with her opponents - as if to 'prove' that she can hit with them... and that's when it doesn't go so well for her.
If she remains disciplined and confident enough to play her natural game of creative geometry, and not be lured into a baseline bashing contest, she will be fine.

I'd love to see Jabeur take her under her wing and give her some tips, as I think she could learn a lot from Jabeur's experience in employing a creative style of play.
i think someone like mauresmo would be better unless Jabeur can turn into more success. Mauresmo was sort of like jabeur - very creative but sometimes let it get in the way. eventually she figured out how to streamline and rely on other strengths to bolster her creativity.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts