Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jelena played 30 tournies in last 52 weeks. if you count all the GS plus Miami and Indian Wells (Where all of them are a 2 weeker tournies) means she plays 36 and she also plays Fed Cup (1 more week) = 37 weeks. She still has 15 weeks at home =)

Anyway looking at the top 150 who plays more or the same as JJ

Top 50

Bartoli 33 Tournies
Muller 31 Tournies

Top 100

Gajdosova 33
Brianti 31
Malek 32
Poutchek 32
Kudryatseva 30

Top 150

Gagliardi 32
Schruff 33
Czink 30
Beygelzimer 32
Barrios 36
Voracova 30
Osterloh 33
Klepac 33
Chaknasvili 30

There are 16 other players in the top 150 who plays as much or more tournies than her, but no one is bitching about how they play too much!?!

Also there are handful of players playing slightly less then her 27-29 tournies. so as long as she is capable and keep winning i don't mind at all!

A wise man used to say " Do what you love, and you will never work for the rest of your life"

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Jelena needs to play a lot to play well :=)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
thank you.. god.. i dont know why people are mad because not alot of players can play as much and maintain the same level as she does although she needs a break before the slams because she didnt play very well at AO after her runs at sydney and auckland

·
Registered
35,860 Posts
The difference though is that all the players you mentioned below tend to lose in the 1st or 2nd round of the events they play. Many of them also don't play doubles (or seldomly do). It's a rare occasion when Jelena doesn't make it to the weekend stages of a tournament, either for singles or doubles (or both).

Secondly, most of these players NEED to play that much for money and ranking reasons. They have little to no sponsorships whereas Jelena has many of those. If Jelena played a normal schedule, her ranking would pretty much remain the same. Playing Tier III's does nothing for her ranking, even if she wins them.

If she's having fun then go for it, but I hope she doesn't become burnt out like Dokic did.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The difference though is that all the players you mentioned below tend to lose in the 1st or 2nd round of the events they play. Many of them also don't play doubles (or seldomly do). It's a rare occasion when Jelena doesn't make it to the weekend stages of a tournament, either for singles or doubles (or both).

Secondly, most of these players NEED to play that much for money and ranking reasons. They have little to no sponsorships whereas Jelena has many of those. If Jelena played a normal schedule, her ranking would pretty much remain the same. Playing Tier III's does nothing for her ranking, even if she wins them.

If she's having fun then go for it, but I hope she doesn't become burnt out like Dokic did.
It's only a year ago that she was ONE of those players!

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
She is playing and reaching the later rounds. Her ranking is much inflated because of this. It is embarassing and does a disservice to the Tour. Plus she is doing herself no favours in the long-term.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
She is playing and reaching the later rounds. Her ranking is much inflated because of this. It is embarassing and does a disservice to the Tour. Plus she is doing herself no favours in the long-term.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

So, she's inflating her rankings by playing and winning? Wow, that's embarassing. Gotcha.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Jelena played 30 tournies in last 52 weeks. if you count all the GS plus Miami and Indian Wells (Where all of them are a 2 weeker tournies) means she plays 36 and she also plays Fed Cup (1 more week) = 37 weeks. She still has 15 weeks at home =)

Anyway looking at the top 150 who plays more or the same as JJ

Top 50

Bartoli 33 Tournies
Muller 31 Tournies

Top 100

Gajdosova 33
Brianti 31
Malek 32
Poutchek 32
Kudryatseva 30

Top 150

Gagliardi 32
Schruff 33
Czink 30
Beygelzimer 32
Barrios 36
Voracova 30
Osterloh 33
Klepac 33
Chaknasvili 30

There are 16 other players in the top 150 who plays as much or more tournies than her, but no one is bitching about how they play too much!?!

Also there are handful of players playing slightly less then her 27-29 tournies. so as long as she is capable and keep winning i don't mind at all!

A wise man used to say " Do what you love, and you will never work for the rest of your life"

There is a difference in players who play 30+ tournies and only plays
1 or 2 rounds and 30+ players who go deep in the draw every week.
Although JJ is playing well now sooner or later its going to take its toll

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
well. she better keep the same quality next year, or her ranking will sink BADLIY

·
Registered
21,902 Posts

:weirdo:

how is it a disservice? and what is the service then - what, say, Jennifer, does? or Anna K?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
If she reaches the later rounds in the 17 tournaments on her record (all slams, Tier I's, II's, and then Auckland, the lone lower tier tournament), how is her ranking inflated?

Winning matches is anything BUT embarassing. And if anything, she's doing the tour a SERVICE. By playing frequently, other top 10 players aren't oblgated to commit to their quota of Tier III's. The tour doesn't have to compensate tournaments lacking top 10 players. She's helping tennis.

Finally, she knows her body better than we do. Maybe she's meant to play that often to reach her peak. Only she can tell. As long as she stays healthy, I say she should play anything she feels like. I for one will enjoy the fact that every tournament she enters has a little star power.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
well. she better keep the same quality next year, or her ranking will sink BADLIY
As with anybody...but...here's where her having so many tournies under her belt helps her. She can play a tourney and get upset in the first round, and she'll still have other tournies that weren't counted before that she can count with more points towards her ranking. I'm not saying what she's doing is totally advantageous for her ranking, but in this case it's actually a plus to have more tournies.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Although JJ is playing well now sooner or later its going to take its toll
You know, I was saying the same thing around Dubai time, but she hasn't slowed down and hasn't been taken out of commission yet. I have a feeling she understands how her body works and how much effort it can take more than we do.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
the difference between her and Dokic is that it looked like Jelena D. was pushed into that schedule by her crazy dad. Jelena J. seems to make her own decision, so if she is doing it she at the very least knows what she is doing.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts