1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Reactions: Scrubaball

·
63,657 Posts
Oh, the irony. Barthel was originally playing this match with Tsurenko and then she pulled out. :spit:

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
A bit like Andreescu vs Tsurenko becoming Puig vs Yafan in Cincy. What happens if there is another LL, a new draw?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Lesia :hug:
Xiyu :cheer:

·
Registered
115,506 Posts
Xiyu/Flipkens. Rarely see LL vs LL

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
miss tissue paper withdraws again with an injury.

she barely plays more than about 2 matches in a row without some sort of ailment.
i can't imagine when she is older how her body will be.

she's either extremely unlucky or she just has a body that can't take much.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Tsurenko reaching the USO QF was very, very dark.

Good bye

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
When Xiyu lost her very close QFR match, lots of posters were hoping she'd get a LL spot, and she missed out in the first allocation, so I guess they will be pleased. Nice opportunity for her.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
I don’t remember so many LL in womens Slam recently.
Xiyu will make the third Slam debutant here along with Bolkvadze and Volynets

·
Blighted and solo
43,981 Posts
Is there some place where you can see which players withdrew?

·
Registered
6,460 Posts

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
37,019 Posts
Tsurenko reaching the USO QF was very, very dark.

Good bye
To be fair beating Van Uytvanck, Wozniacki, Siniakova and Vondrousova in one event isn't bad going and it is quite deserving of a quarterfinal place. A lot of players have reached slam quarterfinals beating far weaker lineups than that.

That said, while Tsurenko had a very good year in 2018, since Brisbane she has struggled a lot this year.

·
37,019 Posts
6 out of the 16 final round losers in qualifying now have LL spots. Two more and it will be half the players who lost in the final round of qualies that made it to the main draw.

In a way it is a shame that Marie Bouzkova got into the main draw directly as it would have been quite a distinction if she had entered qualifying and lost in the final round. As she would have been one of the top couple of seeds in the draw she would have been sure to get an LL spot had she lost in the final round and that would have given her a hat trick of LL Grand Slam spots this year. I'm not sure of that would be a unique achievement but but to get three Grand Slam LL spots in one year it is very possible it would be.

That said, I am a big Marie Bouzkova fan so I'm not complaining either that she is directly in the main draw and I hope (and have some confidence) she will do will this week. :)

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
6 out of the 16 final round losers in qualifying now have LL spots. Two more and it will be half the players who lost in the final round of qualies that made it to the main draw.

In a way it is a shame that Marie Bouzkova got into the main draw directly as it would have been quite a distinction if she had entered qualifying and lost in the final round. As she would have been one of the top couple of seeds in the draw she would have been sure to get an LL spot had she lost in the final round and that would have given her a hat trick of LL Grand Slam spots this year. I'm not sure of that would be a unique achievement but but to get three Grand Slam LL spots in one year it is very possible it would be.
That said, I am a big Marie Bouzkova fan so I'm not complaining either that she is directly in the main draw and I hope (and have some confidence) she will do will this week. :)
Actually in mens, Peter Polansky completed the LL calendar Slam last year entering as LL from Aus Open 2018 to US Open 2018, so all 4 in row :lol:
It will be very difficult for any player to achieve that again lol.

·
37,019 Posts
Actually in mens, Peter Polansky completed the LL calendar Slam last year entering as LL from Aus Open 2018 to US Open 2018, so all 4 in row :lol:
It will be very difficult for any player to achieve that again lol.
Zowie!!!! That's super impressive. Yeah, I can't see that achievement ever being repeated. Incredible. Polansky must have tanked in the final round of the US Open in the hopes of making it four in a row (I can't blame him either...I'd do the same) and when he actually got that final LL he must have been so ecstatic. :haha:

I notice now he actually went for 5 in a row by losing in the final round of qualifying this year at the AO as well. But he finally ran out of luck and they didn't give him an LL spot to make it 5 in a row. That really sucks. :( But I guess that was pushing his luck just a little too far..... :eek:h:

Well Marie could never have matched the calendar slam anyway as she missed out at the AO. And even if Marie did get an LL at the US Open she could never even have matched Polansky's four in a row as Marie will positively get direct entry at next year's Australian Open. So it is just as well then that she got direct entry to this year's US Open as compared with Polansky's incredible achievement gaining 3 Slam LLs in a row wouldn't be such a big thing anyway. :eek:h:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

I don't really follow ATP, but there was a guy "doing" just that last year. Forgot the name. Edit: Nevermind, I should have read the rest of the thread, Polansky is the name :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts