Tennis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's an interview with Lei Clijsters, Kim's father, in the newspaper today.

When the interviewer remarked that it's remarkable that most fathers of top players have a bad name (Damir Dokic, Richard Williams, Stefano Capriati is considered a dictator), he said the following:

"Ah, Damir isn't that bad. He'd sometimes drink too much, then he'd say stupid things, but in fact he's a good guy. Richard Williams is an excellent man. He's always 100% behind his daughters en convinced that they're better than the rest. There's nothing wrong with that. He can be a bit extreme sometimes about certain things, but I'm okay with that. He livens things up a bit. And Stefano Capriati? He's the best one of them all. He understands the game of tennis through and through and would often give Kim some tips. I don't believe he could be a dictator. It is true that he's not loved on tour but that's actually a good thing. The WTA wants impose all sorts of rules on the women, some of which that are actually pretty silly."

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
He also seems to have an interesting notion about being loved "on the Tour" (I don't think that it is a matter of translation). Does it mean that reputations on the Tour are made more by officials than by players themselves, for instance, I wonder.

·
Registered
16,198 Posts
But he also said Kim and Lleyton would not play till the age of 26-27, but probably stop playing once they are 24-25 :(

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
How will he ever become a famous 'evil tennis dad' saying things like that? Has the man no ambition? :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts