Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
yes. Patty couldn't put a ball in play in the 1st, 3rd set was certainly more complicated than I thought it would be.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
35,592 Posts
Patty really struggling recently. She seemed so low on energy and motivation at the AO.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
I love Patty and was so grateful to see her at AO quals... but I always felt such a long and expensive trip wouldn't be worth it.... Is she gonna stay for the two Perth $25ks as well?!

·
Registered
11,419 Posts
Patty really struggling recently. She seemed so low on energy and motivation at the AO.
That was the first time I saw her play since her comeback and I thought wow there is absolutely nothing on her shots anymore. Everything was up the middle with little of her crafty spin on it. Also, she indeed didn't look like she wanted to be there. The only reason to comeback at her age is the love of the game, challenge to comeback, etc. I don't understand why she is bothering if she's not really into it.

Also, why doesn't she just stick to her best surface, clay :shrug:

·
Registered
9,106 Posts

·
Registered
11,419 Posts

·
Always and forever.
33,728 Posts
I'm really glad she fought hard to win this one! She's lacking confidence now, so a win is a win at the end of the day, and she looked happy when she won this match. I also thought that Mcphee played a much better match than her ranking suggests. I agree that Patty is maybe not as ready/fit as last year, but this can still change. :)

The thing is that the new courts in Australia don't suit her game at all, she was already struggling back in the days on these courts, so I'm not surprised that this time of the year is once again more complicated for her. Let's add to that the very windy conditions she has faced in her last matches, which she just hates. Right now, indoors and clay are the most effective surfaces for her. This is why I'm not too worried, I'm sure we'll see more of her this year. :) :bounce:

·
Registered
16,201 Posts
I think these Courts are Too fast for her.
Hives will Beat her again easily.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
That was the first time I saw her play since her comeback and I thought wow there is absolutely nothing on her shots anymore. Everything was up the middle with little of her crafty spin on it. Also, she indeed didn't look like she wanted to be there. The only reason to comeback at her age is the love of the game, challenge to comeback, etc. I don't understand why she is bothering if she's not really into it.

Also, why doesn't she just stick to her best surface, clay :shrug:
I don't think a few bad tournaments mean her entire comeback has lacked motivation/application. I feel like a broken record but most people on here really don't appreciate how tough being a devoted parent and a travelling non-elite level tennis player would be. She has done well to improve her results year-to-year and playing GS qualifying is about challenging herself further. She made the final round of qualifying at the US Open losing to a very tight 3 setter to Gibbs who went on to almost knock out K Pliskova in R2. The Aus Open was disappointing but in hindsight she lost to Pera who went onto to beat Konta and make R3.

She will probably lose to Hives again but i expect she'll make it a better contest. As other people have said the move away from rebound ace was a big disadvantage for players like Patty.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Patty please leave Oz. Results are not working out for you there. Go back to Europe, compete on indoors and then move onto clay.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts