Reactions: BlueTrees

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
17,089 Posts
Time to retire?

·
Premium Member
66,174 Posts
What exactly do you guys have against Robson? She only got 2 WTA WCs last year in her home country and has shown willingness to plug away in 25ks all over the world to find some form back. I don't see what's funny or enjoyable in seeing a formerly decent player struggling to find form after a very serious injury. :eek:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
What exactly do you guys have against Robson? She only got 2 WTA WCs last year in her home country and has shown willingness to plug away in 25ks all over the world to find some form back. I don't see what's funny or enjoyable in seeing a formerly decent player struggling to find form after a very serious injury. :eek:
People hate on her because she was overhyped to begin with.

Unless things change for her, the I think she will retire this year. She's slipping down the rankings again.

·
Banned
15,175 Posts
What went wrong with Khroma? She was a very successful junior. :scratch:

·
Stanning for Andi
20,880 Posts
Reactions: Juju Nostalgique

·
Stanning for Andi
20,880 Posts
Time to retire?
She's actually ranked around the #100 mark in doubles. I suppose she could forge out a career as a fringe tour doubles player which might be a more attractive option than losing R1 and R2 each week at 25K and 50K level.

As an aside, is Robson still with Nike? I must say I'm amazed they signed her up when they did.

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
Thank you.
Love you Laura. Keep trying.

·
Banned
177 Posts
McDonald's isn't an injury.

·
Registered
38,130 Posts
I don't really get the hostility against Robson either, especially here. She's one of the few players who has had the guts to call out Margaret Court.

·
Premium Member
66,174 Posts
I think it partly has to do with thinking too highly of herself. When she was starting her comeback she was unwilling to start right down at the bottom (ITF $10k) and work her way up. She started much higher thinking she would be back in her rightful place in no time. That may work for Serena, Vika and Sharapova because they have tonnes of success and experiences as former World Number 1's but Laura isn't in their league. Her comeback could have been different if she didn't have a sense of entitlement and had the sense to avoid confidence-crushing defeats by not playing above her level until she earned the right to be there.
Sorry, but after playing Eastbourne and Wimbledon, most of the tournaments she played for the next 6+ months were 25ks, after which she started using her PR for bigger events. Coming back at 10ks is by no means the norm for a GS champ and promising player; there is a reason those tournaments aren't even being considered as professional tournaments starting from next year. Also, there is no right and wrong way to come back. Someone like Zvonareva can barely be competitive at 25k level for quite some time while 38 year old, retired for 10+ years Date Krumm managed to come back at 50k level right away.

·
Registered
35,843 Posts
She's actually ranked around the #100 mark in doubles. I suppose she could forge out a career as a fringe tour doubles player which might be a more attractive option than losing R1 and R2 each week at 25K and 50K level.
I'd argue that she could at least be Top 30 in doubles if she wanted, but it's impossible to have a high doubles ranking when you're exclusively playing Challengers like she is. If she won eleven 50K doubles titles, she'd be ranked around No. 80 and that's sometimes not even enough for direct entry into Grand Slams.

Have to imagine she'll consider the doubles route if this slump doesn't stop by the end of the year though...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts