·
Registered
17,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Hindustan Times:

Leander better, it’s probably not tumour
HT Correspondent

New Delhi,*August 23 (tomorrow's news!)

Leander Paes is stable and cheerful, according to reports reaching here from Orlando. Leander, who was diagnosed as suffering from a ‘lesion’ in the left side of his brain three days ago, had undergone a series of tests.
It now appears that he is suffering from is a “possible brain abscess” which can be treated by antibiotics.
“While not yet proven in Leander’s situation, one rather common infection causing such a brain lesion in India is cysticercus granuloma, caused by the larval form of a tapeworm,” said a press release from the Anderson Cancer Centre in Orlando, where Leander is admitted.

According to experts at home, what Leander is suffering from may not be so bad. “We have had several such cases caused by tapeworms, which we treat with medicine,” said Dr Uma Nambiar, a neurosurgeon at the Dr Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute in New Delhi

“It could come from something as simple as eating green salad,” added Dr Nambiar. “I guess since he (Leander) is in the US, they will be doing all possible tests to rule out anything else,” she added.

The press release from Orlando adds that Leander is in excellent spirits and physically active.

“We are happy that Leander is doing much better,” said Jackie, Leander’s sister, from Kolkata.
“The last three days have been trying and it’s reassuring that he is responding to treatment,” she added. Dr Vece Paes, Leander’s father will be in Orlando by Saturday morning.

Meanwhile, Mahesh Bhupathi, who was to have paired* with Leander this week in Long Island, said Leander was in “good spirits.” Mahesh had visited Leander on Thursday and said the results of a few more tests were awaited.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
17,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lindsayfan said:
i'm so happy he hasnt a tumor! :)
Well, they aren't 100% certain yet, but it sure looks like it. What a relief! But more of a relief when all the test results are in.

All the prayers from fans helped! I am sure almost the whole country of India was praying for good news. :angel:

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Thanks for the update, Janie! Still, the thought of a tapeworm is *yick*

I was quite surprised to see Bhupathi and Paes reunited in the Long Island draw :eek: Good to see the two are still friends despite whatever falling out they had over their partnership :)

·
Registered
17,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know! Think how glad Mahesh must have been, knowing they had reconciled, when he first heard the scary news.

Here is a bit on how Indians responded to the initial report:

CALCUTTA, India (AP) -- Thousands of people across this eastern Indian metropolis were praying for a quick recovery for doubles tennis star Leander Paes who is at a hospital in Orlando, Florida, with a brain lesion.

Tennis fans and ordinary citizens in Paes hometown, Calcutta, prayed in churches, temples and mosques for the former doubles World No.1 players good health.

"We have prayed for his quick recovery and the good Lord will surely cure him soon," said Sister Lynn of the Missionaries of Charity. The order founded by Mother Teresa held a special prayer for Paes on Thursday.

"We hope it is nothing serious and is just some kind of an infection," said another sister at charity, which Paes visits whenever he is in town.

etc etc

It's pretty wonderful, isn't it? Churches, temples, and mosques! Instead of fighting with each other, all praying for their guy. I find it very moving.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Navratilova won't play mixed doubles at Open

August 22, 2003

NEW YORK (AP) -- Martina Navratilova won't play mixed doubles at the U.S. Open because her regular partner, Leander Paes, is hospitalized with a brain lesion.

They teamed to win two of the first three Grand Slam titles this year, at the Australian Open and Wimbledon.

``I will not be playing mixed doubles at the U.S. Open without Leander Paes because he is a true partner, and the special connection we share cannot be replaced,'' Navratilova said Friday. ``Our bond was much more than winning titles, and my thoughts are with this wonderful man for a speedy and full recovery.''

Paes, 30, checked himself into a hospital near his Orlando, Fla., home Sunday after having headaches for three days. A scan detected the lesion, and he was transferred to a cancer center Tuesday. It wasn't immediately clear what caused his illness.

``Leander has an amazing attitude and is such a positive person, and I know those attributes are working for him even at this difficult time,'' Navratilova said. ``He and I have promised each other we would team again as soon as he gets well, and I can't wait.''

Their victory at the All England Club in July gave Navratilova a record-tying career total of 20 titles at Wimbledon from singles, doubles and mixed doubles. She also became, at 46, the oldest player to win a Wimbledon title.

Navratilova will play women's doubles with Svetlana Kuznetsova at the U.S. Open, which starts Monday.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
A nice gesture from Martina :) I never really thought she'd play with anyone else anyway.

Here's hoping Leander's well enough to play in Austrailia!

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Thanx for the good news!
Really respectful from Martina!

Reactions: galadriel

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
I hope Leander gets well soon. He is just such a great guy, so sweet and unassuming. A true champion. The sport misses him.
I was also surprised to see Bhupathi and Paes in the draw. I read an interview where they said they had ruled out any chance of reconciliation a while ago. Glad to see that they've patched things up, though i dont like Mahesh much, but whatever is best for Leander i guess.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
:bowdown: Martina. A classy lady!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts