Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is an interview with Jelena in saturday's edition of "24 sata"!

Again at the crossroads, here where she was born, in Croatia. Even though she played for Australia, Serbia, then again for Australia, her past and it seems also future is tightly connected with Croatia. Jelena was born on 12.04.1983. in Osijek, and today she lives in Zagreb where she's trying to make comeback to top. In her career she won 5 tournaments and earned 3,7 milion dollars. however almost nothing stayed on her account. She is looking for sponsors also in Croatia, for a new start...

Q: Jelena, is it true that you are planning to retire because of rist injury?

Jelena: Absolutly no! I haven't got any injury at all and there's no reason why I should end my career. At the moment I work very hard with Borna Bikic and all I think about is tennis. I'm trying to sort out my finances and be ready for the tour. I won't play in next month because there's no sence to play if you don't know where you'll sleep tomorow.

Q: How hard it is for you as Serbian player who plays for Australia to find sponsors in Croatia?

Jelena: I know what's necessary for being at the top, however it doesn't work without money. If I wouldn't have will to train, I wouldn't kept trying, but I don't play because I don't want to retract sponsors. At the moment we're working on finding sponsors and they could be even from Zagreb. I miss the tour so much and I see myself soon at tournaments again.

Q: How do you like living in Zagreb taking into account that incident last year when you were attacked at parking lot?

Jelena: In this moment I can't imagine a better place to live then in Zagreb. Unfortunately I have no time to be occupied with anything in Zagreb except with tennis. Here I fit in and it's so much more peaceful then in Australia, also it has no sence to change my location. If we ignore that incident, people in Zagreb are lovely and I'm enjoying myself here.

Q: And also here you allegedly got married to your longtime boyfriend Tin Bikic?

Jelena: Ha, ha, yeah I got married several times already. I realy had enough of that serbian "Kurir", I'm just fileing a suit against them. All the things they said were lies and it's silly for me to try to justify myself for anything. I never got married and I don't plan it either.

Q: Like you, Croatian tennis player Mirjana Lucic is also trying to make comeback.

Jelena: She is also in very hard situation with finances. We had similar life experience, we both had seductive fathers who abused us. I say to Mirjana to keep playing tennis and not to give up. And will we manage to come back, that will be seen. Our tennis surely belongs to top 100 and we can return there once again!

Q: Jelena, are these expectations objective?

Jelena: Why not? If everything sorts out like it should I'll be amongst best players. If I wouldn't see myself there I wouldn't train anymore.

Q: Nikola Pilic, ex croatian DC captain, guaranteed you successful comeback but you still gave up on him.

If I stayed with him, I would end up like some beggar. I realy have nothing against him, but he has wrong people around him. His focus is on 20 players and I couldn't be happy with it!

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
i didn't know she played for australia.

why do the serbian players consider changing their nationality if they already have money?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
if she picked a country and lived in it she wouldn't have a problem. she could then be able to train under the tennis federation of that country and not have to worry about money or where to live and finally focus on her tennis. she creates her own drama. she needs to get serious about her tennis and the sponsors will come. she's trying to do everything backwards

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
These things don't sound anything like stuff Jelena would say but good for her if she did (about training not about the Australia thing ... unsafe? whaaa?! Isn't Australia an extremely safe place?).

I just hope she gets her act in gear.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
That's an old interview. That's exactly (almost word for word) what she said for a Serbian newspaper a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
Erika_Angel said:
(about training not about the Australia thing ... unsafe? whaaa?! Isn't Australia an extremely safe place?).
I'm guessing she meant that Zagreb is more quiet and tranquil than Australia.

·
Registered
25,232 Posts
i didn't know jelena was born in croatia :confused: i thought she was born in serbia :shrug: well the reason why she's not living in Australia probably because she believes the media over there tend to pay more attention to her & scruntinise over her than in Croatia.

·
Registered
917 Posts
No offense to people from Croatia, but she really shouldn't have messed up with the Bikic brothers. It destroyed her completely.

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
I can't understand how a girl who won over 3.5 million dollars have financial problems.:confused:
She was under 18 when she won alot of it, I think - so her parents are meant to "look after" her finances - so i think we can guess where the money would have gone...

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Yay, thanks for that!

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Q: Like you, Croatian tennis player Mirjana Lucic is also trying to make comeback.

Jelena: She is also in very hard situation with finances. We had similar life experience, we both had seductive fathers who abused us. I say to Mirjana to keep playing tennis and not to give up. And will we manage to come back, that will be seen. Our tennis surely belongs to top 100 and we can return there once again!

Loved this quote! I've never been a fan of Sneezy's (that's what I affectionately call her because of how her grunts sound), but I've never flat out disliked her either. I admire the swagger she has, but this quote makes me truly begin to admire her integrity and compassion as well. :yeah: She's got a new fan, I guess.

Reactions: WorldWar24
1 - 20 of 27 Posts