Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost certain this is an Open Era first at a Slam. But I can't think of any examples even at regular WTA tournaments offhand. It must have happened, though.

·
Banned
2,874 Posts
I kind of doubt that it's a first, just based on the odds from past years...

a previous thread showed that 9 out of the last 64 GS winners saved match point(s) en route to the title. That figure will rise to 10 out of 65 tomorrow.

So if we take the odds of a player saving match point on the way to a GS final as being roughly 1 out of 7, that would imply that 1 out of about 50 GS finals would feature 2 players who had saved match point on the way.

There have been 160 GS finals played in the modern Open era (since 1978), so it wouldn't be suprising if this has happened 3-4 times previously.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

a previous thread showed that 9 out of the last 64 GS winners saved match point(s) en route to the title. That figure will rise to 10 out of 65 tomorrow.

So if we take the odds of a player saving match point on the way to a GS final as being roughly 1 out of 7, that would imply that 1 out of about 50 GS finals would feature 2 players who had saved match point on the way.

There have been 160 GS finals played in the modern Open era (since 1978), so it wouldn't be suprising if this has happened 3-4 times previously.
It's not that hard to check for Slams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...records#Won_a_title_after_saving_match_points

Eleven Slam winners have saved MPs en route to the title in the Open Era, and two of those in the final itself.

So the only possibilities for finals between players who had both saved MPs en route are the other nine. I'm certain that eight of those runner-ups didn't have to save MP; the only one I can't be sure of is Novotna's AO 1991 run, when she beat both Stafford and Graf 8-6 in the third.

I've no idea about other WTA tournaments though, but I'd be interested.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

"odds" don't really apply here....i think there's something like MAYBE one other time in the open era.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm not sure if the WTA site is very reliable, but in today's article (Melbourne 2018, Day 13: Match Points | WTA Tennis) they confirm this feat is the first in the open era:

"This is the first time in the Open Era that a Slam final has been contested between two players who have both saved match points en route. Simona Halep saved three against Lauren Davis in the third round and two against Angelique Kerber in the semifinals; Caroline Wozniacki fended off two against Jana Fett in the second round. Halep's run is the first time in the Open Era that a player has reached a major final after saving match points in multiple matches."

·
Registered
782 Posts
It's not that hard to check for Slams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...records#Won_a_title_after_saving_match_points

Eleven Slam winners have saved MPs en route to the title in the Open Era, and two of those in the final itself.

So the only possibilities for finals between players who had both saved MPs en route are the other nine. I'm certain that eight of those runner-ups didn't have to save MP; the only one I can't be sure of is Novotna's AO 1991 run, when she beat both Stafford and Graf 8-6 in the third.

I've no idea about other WTA tournaments though, but I'd be interested.
This match report doesn't mention a saved match point

Novotna Ends Graf's Reign at Australian Open - NYTimes.com

I can't find anything saying she saved an MP against Stafford, either

·
Registered
20,133 Posts

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yeah, we can rule Novotna out.

I guess the closest we've come to this in a Slam final was the 2005 AO, when Serena saved MPs against Sharapova and Davenport was two points from losing to Dechy. (Wow, I'd forgotten what a struggle Davenport's route was that year. Losing a 2-6 set to Michaela Pastikova in R2? :unsure: )

How close did Dementieva come to losing to Smashnova-Pistolesi at RG 2004? I know she didn't save MPs but the score was a (ridiculous) 0-6, 7-6(2), 0-1 ret. And Myskina of course saved MPs against Kuznetsova in the bottom half.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
2008 in Paris Safina saved a match point against Sharapova and Dementieva, but Ivanovic come through to the title without saving a match point.

·
Registered
8,862 Posts

How close did Dementieva come to losing to Smashnova-Pistolesi at RG 2004? I know she didn't save MPs but the score was a (ridiculous) 0-6, 7-6(2), 0-1 ret. And Myskina of course saved MPs against Kuznetsova in the bottom half.
Too soon.
2 points from the win on several occasions and multiple games, no MP tho.
It was Smashnova’s time to reach QF and she was so much better than Elena until her cramps started, and then her whole body stiffened up during the fight to just win the set.

It really messed me up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts