Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title basically says it all. When was the last time a player won a slam withouth being "in doubt" for the tournament, having "nagging injuries", having an "injury scare" during the tournament or being heavily bandaged?

And yes, it could have been Barty but I do not follow all rumors or tweets by all the well informed people and inner circles.

I just have the impression that it happens more often that players are not 100% healthy which takes pressure off of them and swing more freely.

·
Registered
116,031 Posts
Its not easy to stay healthy when you play a lot of matches. Halep looked okay at Wimbledon
People play at below 100% very often

Reactions: WilliamsOhanian

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
It wasn't Barty, because she withdrew from Strasbourg the week before the French with the arm injury. Now, if anyone believes that was real, I have a plot of land in Florida to sell you.

I think in part more players talk about injuries than they used to, and the wrappingss are less restrictive than they were a decade-plus ago so more players will wear them even if the injury concern is something that a decade-plus ago they wouldn't bother to wear a wrapping for because the movement restriction was a bigger hindrance than the potential support it provided.

Osaka wasn't suffering any physical ailments at the US Open last year, I don't think.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
It wasn't Barty, because she withdrew from Strasbourg the week before the French with the arm injury. Now, if anyone believes that was real, I have a plot of land in Florida to sell you.

I think in part more players talk about injuries than they used to, and the wrappingss are less restrictive than they were a decade-plus ago so more players will wear them even if the injury concern is something that a decade-plus ago they wouldn't bother to wear a wrapping for because the movement restriction was a bigger hindrance than the potential support it provided.

Osaka wasn't suffering any physical ailments at the US Open last year, I don't think.
I think you're right about players talking more about injuries. But the other part of that is social media means fans are more aware of injuries.

Especially in the context of the widespread acceptance of online sports betting, the degenerate gamblers betting public tend to want to know about injury concerns.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True, I didn't think of advanced medical treatment and f.ex. straps that are not as hindering as maybe 20 years ago.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
On the other hand, to play one match every other day is a breeze compared to one match every day at the other tournaments where they may play an evening match and the next day play in early afternoon, that's crazy. Sometimes they have to play 2 matches in one day because of the rain delays. Those are the tournaments that cause all the injuries and the exhaustion. If I were a player I'd like to have one week off after every event to have the time to recuperate, travel to the other one with time to get ready.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts