Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Larry always had a burning ambition to be the CEO of men's tennis and he took the WTA job with that goal in mind. When Larry's proposal to combine the tours (under his leadership) was refused, and the ATP passed him over as a replacement for the floundering Etienne de Villiers, that's when Scott's days at the WTA became numbered, and he started looking for another job.

For the record, i think it would be a very bad idea to combine the tours as Scott proposed. As separate sports, the WTA plays a second fiddle to men's tennis, but it least it plays its OWN fiddle. The appeal of the combined mens-womens Grand Slams is that they are the exception rather than the rule. I don't see where a combined tour management would benefit the women's game.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Yeah, I thought he said he was offered the job but declined. Whether or not he would have lasted very long in the position is another story but he could the opportunity. I don't care why he is leaving the WTA, just happy to see him go.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts

·
Premium Member
181,943 Posts
he was ATP CEO long time ago (10 yrs or so ago)

·
Registered
52,357 Posts
:lol::tape:

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
For the record, i think it would be a very bad idea to combine the tours as Scott proposed. As separate sports, the WTA plays a second fiddle to men's tennis, but it least it plays its OWN fiddle. The appeal of the combined mens-womens Grand Slams is that they are the exception rather than the rule. I don't see where a combined tour management would benefit the women's game.
The WTA's most profitable and attended events are the co-joined tournaments, and while this may also be true to the ATP, there is no doubt which organization is profiting the most from this situation. I wouldn't be surprised if Larry made overtures towards having not-yet-but-almost co-joined tournaments like Rome, Dubai, Doha, Canadian and others jointly with the ATP but it was probably denied by that organization

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
he was ATP CEO long time ago (10 yrs or so ago)
Nope. He was COO (Chief Operating Officer) under CEO Mark Miles. (The position that WTA General Counsel David Shoemaker, who came ova with Larry from the ATP now holds; meaning that Stacey Allaster may be there to "put a female face in a job with a fancy title", as the President of an organization is usually also @ least the COO, and in some cases also the CEO)

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do a little research before you post blatant lies. He was offered the ATP CEO job and declined.

http://tennis.com/features/general/features.aspx?id=168866
Do a little research yourself. According to an article in the New York Times this week, Larry Scott was passed over for the ATP CEO job in favor of Adam Helfant. I don't believe for a minute that Scott "wasn't interested" in the ATP top job. And i'll take the NYT over tennis.com any day as a source.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts