Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1035 Posts

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Allez, It's so quiet down here.
Ok, Justine isn't playing, ok it's summer...
let's talk about our holiday and summerexperiences :p ;)

Uptill now for me...
It all started well. My grades at Uni were (quite unexpectedly) really good so I have a loooooong 3 months holiday now.
One month I'll be working in a 'holiday village', just entertaining people with my natural charm,:lol: :bolt:

Ok, feels strange to talk about 'my personal' life with the philistines, but why not?
Allez, share some holidayplans, ...

allezzzzzzzzz! (don't wanna push you guys ;) )

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Hmm...let's see. I'm a journal writer, think too deeply sometimes, and learn obscure things just so I have something to talk about in random conversations...so I can ramble on and on and on about too many things.

I graduated from college back in May (just made the minimum requirement for magna cum laude). Took vacation at Disney World, fell ill when I returned, then went on another trip (to Wisconsin) while still sick but finally recovered while on that trip, now back trying to sort out the rest of my life. :p

Fourth of July celebrations going around here...but I'm not doing anything in particular...obviously since I've typing here on my computer.

I spent last summer living out in California so now I'm back in Boston for this 4 July stuff. Boston Pops gives a free open air concert by the Charles River downtown (a couple of my aunts and cousins are there right now) and the TV broadcast used to be covered by a local affiliate and cable channel A&E. But last summer it was taken over by national broadcaster CBS (one of the Big Four networks) because it was a ratings smash on A&E and they spent a lot of money for it (it gets better ratings than the televised celebrations in New York and Washington D.C.).

It has waaay more commercials than I ever remembered it having before. Man, watching David Lee Roth on it and "boy, does he look old!" I can't tell if he had plastic surgery or botox...but for an old guy he can sure kick high! :eek:

Washed the dog today...'coz he was very smelly. Gave him from steak and barbecued pork as a reward for being a good boy while we were washing him. Then when we were out for church we find out that he had jumped and stolen a sausage off the counter. Bad, bad dog.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
It was a weird week here. Singapore is a very cosmpolitan high tech
glitzy place. There's the colonial district, and the center which
resembles all those photo's of very modern Asian cities, but with 90%
roman script graphics. You won't see any Chinese writing on these
buildings. No in fact the names of even the condo's tend to be pretentious,
Brit or irksome American "The Trumps", "The Navigators" "Chelsea",
"Costa De Sol", "Le Grand View". :tape: Everything out of the city
center is residential, mixed in with alot of shop houses.

There was a freak blackout on Thursday right when the WIMBLEDON
semi-finals were on. I knew this was a bad omen...no wonder Maria
won! :tape: Anyway- Singaporeans are such wimps. You know how
the English always make fun of Belgium and say it's so boring. American's
always ridicule Canada? Well...Singapore is the butt of all the jokes from
other Asian countries. Everyone's got a maid/nanny here. The kids do
not know how to tie their shoelaces because the maids do it for them.
There was a survey from a condom company that stated Singaporeans
have the least amount of sex. :haha: But, hey they've got the
world's fasted Text/SMS messager in the world. Some local broke the
record a week ago. Exciting times huh! :lol: Oh- and this past
weekend the world's longest Satay (grilled meat on a stick) record
was broken. Wild times, just wild times here. ;)

I digress, back to my blackout story. I live in a 3 story condo with
9 other units. As soon as the lights went out everyone rushed
out and started making noise. I could hear shouts of

"eh! On no! lights out. What are we going to do!"

"Check for batteries!"
"check for candles!"
"I'm HUNGRY!"
"I better not miss the big European football match tonight!!!"
"What are we going to do with the Dog?"

:haha:

It's as if aliens had landed. Geez, it's just a blackout. It's not like
back in the USA. There are no looters outside ready to steal everyone's
Phillips Plasma flat screen tv monitors. :lol: Criminals are executed
here. Really, Singapore has one of the world's highest execution rates.
Anyway- I look out the balcony and people are driving their nice silver
BMW's, Opel's out to search for food and rescue. uhuh. What's going
to happen to the family now that your maid can't cook dinner or use
the electric dishwasher? What about the air conditioner? How in the
world are you suppose to sleep without the air conditioner and humidifier. Too funny.heh.

The blackout lasted about an hour. Nobody got robbed, nobody starved.

·
Banned
250 Posts
Hey, Greenout
I was just wondering, I am going to Aus via Singapore this summer. Staying there for one night. What I wasnted to ask was is it true that you get arrested if you eat chewing gum. Cause if it is then i'm skrewd cause I always eat chewing gum!

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
jujupassion said:
Hey, Greenout
I was just wondering, I am going to Aus via Singapore this summer. Staying there for one night. What I wasnted to ask was is it true that you get arrested if you eat chewing gum. Cause if it is then i'm skrewd cause I always eat chewing gum!

Hi JP,

Ok- the official rule is that you can chew it; but can't sell
it to the locals. I wouldn't flash my gum wrappers at immigration
or in front of the police- or blow bubbles in public if I were you.
Everyone's always snacking on food and treats here, so chewing
it in public shouldn't be a problem, who's to know your gnawing on
gum and not rice cakes. :lol:

Have fun!

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:lol: so strange for us.
(canabis is legal, alcohol is legal, cigarettes are legal ==> imagine chewing gum not being legal :lol: )

You know, (and please don't take this in any derogatory or rasistic way or whatever)
but a Flemish minister lanced the idea a few months ago, to start giving Chinese lessons to flemish children. Flemish people are known for their language knowledge, and that's part of why it is a very strong region 'economic-wise' ...
Now, with China -a superpower 'in spe'- that minister thought it would be a great idea to learn chinese, it would give us a huge advantage in the future ... :shrug:
I don't know. In se, it isn't a completely stupid idea, but in practice, it seems undoable. I mean, a chinese person told me, you know, we ('western people') know how to write and read when we are let's say +/- 5,6,7 years old, but that is something that is simply impossible for the chinese, even when they go to college they don't know all the sign (caracters ?) ... Plus, their language can't be compared with any "indo-european language" ...
Really, me and my fiends (scuse me, my friends and I ;) ) are talking a lot about the "asian wave" lately, because at 'our' university you see more and more (really a lot actually) asian people ... they are taking over the world !!! :bolt: kidding! :D
No but still, it is a reality no?
You know, again, I'm pretty :eek: typing this text, because it shows my TOTAL ignorance in this area, I mean, the language, the country, I know China isn't Singapore, isn't Japan etc. ... That is what always seemed so strange to me. Asia is such a 'mysterious' continent to me (to us...)

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
:lol:

Hi Pigam. Singapore is very modern Westernized city
and the only Asian country where the national language is English.
The education system is the exact same one that is in use in the UK.
The big industry is IT, Shipping, Banking/Finance, import/export, and
medical/science research.

There's a nice racial mix here. The
majority are Chinese, then there's the Malay(Indonesians),
the Indian and off course foreign expats like myself who are
mainly from the Malaysia, UK, Australia, USA, Canada, and Europe.

The Chinese have so many different regional dialects; but the main
two would be Mandarin (Spoken in mainland China and in big cities and
used for international business), and Cantonese (Spoken in Taiwan,
Hong Kong, and the language of the majority of immigrants that go to
the America's, the Pacific, and Europe).

I guess maybe all those Chinese from China are trying to gain a foothold
by learning a second language, that's why they go to foreign universities.
I've heard that alot of mainland Chinese have a very difficult time here
in Singapore because they do not speak English as their first language.

The topic of debate in terms of immigration here in Singapore is not
the influx of Chinese (if they aren't skilled or already under contract
they are not allowed Visa's. It's all very strict!), but rather the rise
of Indian's from India. :lol: There's a flood of IT degree Indians
wanting higher wages than back home and getting rejected by the
Visa departments.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah,
and won't they be 'forced' to use English in the future?
Or will it be just the 'power of the majority' and will Mandarin become the leading language?

I have no idea. It won't be for the next 10years, but still, it can be there much quicker than we think, IMO.

And yeah, of course, the Indians. You know another thing that makes me :eek:. The current elections in India. It takes them over a year (or was it 2) to organise elections. Because the country is huge and there are so many people. It's all so strange :lol:

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Now it's incredible! The population of Belgium is about 10 million right?
The population of Singapore is only about a tad over 4 million.
Thailand is about 60 million, and Indonesia is about 207 million!

India and China are waaaaaaaaaay over these numbers. :eek:

What's interesting is that in Indonesia, India etc.. they
use a symbol to represent a political candidate since alot of
the population can't read or write. Wow...just like the USA!!!!!
:haha: You might even say this explains why the sudden
popularity of Sharapova. It's not the resume, the skills,
the intellect nor the ideas. No it's about picking the right
"face" or picture to elect their best tennis candidate. :tape:

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you scare me :unsure: :lol: It is really unreal.
I mean even if you compare it to American population for that matter...

So over to some more issues of Pigam's private life and exciting day to come ;)
My grandparent are celebrating their 50th aniversary (you know they have been married for 50years). It'll be a huge party, because (this might sound cruel) it could be the last time everyone of the family and friends are together.

Every hild and grandchild is doind a little something special for the party. You know, a funny play, an emotional text, ... and I promised to write them a song about their married life... pfff... it isn't easy, but we're getting there. It's about time too, since the party is on sunday :p. This afternoon I have to go shopping cuz I don't have 'new clothes' for the party yet, and well,... I have to ;). It's all a surprise for them so it wil be great fun (I hope ;) )

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
pigam said:
you scare me :unsure: :lol: It is really unreal.
I mean even if you compare it to American population for that matter...

So over to some more issues of Pigam's private life and exciting day to come ;)
My grandparent are celebrating their 50th aniversary (you know they have been married for 50years). It'll be a huge party, because (this might sound cruel) it could be the last time everyone of the family and friends are together.

Every hild and grandchild is doind a little something special for the party. You know, a funny play, an emotional text, ... and I promised to write them a song about their married life... pfff... it isn't easy, but we're getting there. It's about time too, since the party is on sunday :p. This afternoon I have to go shopping cuz I don't have 'new clothes' for the party yet, and well,... I have to ;). It's all a surprise for them so it wil be great fun (I hope ;) )
Ok. I have to head for dinner soon.

50 years. Wow. That's really sweet. 50 years. It's amazing
what seperate bedrooms can do for a marriage. :p
Just kidding. ;)

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Greenout said:
Ok. I have to head for dinner soon.

50 years. Wow. That's really sweet. 50 years. It's amazing
what seperate bedrooms can do for a marriage. :p
Just kidding. ;)
excusez-moi! :eek:
They're still as in love as ever. It is kinda cute and yet kinda :unsure: too ;) :p

·
Banned
250 Posts
Greenout said:
Hi JP,

Ok- the official rule is that you can chew it; but can't sell
it to the locals. I wouldn't flash my gum wrappers at immigration
or in front of the police- or blow bubbles in public if I were you.
Everyone's always snacking on food and treats here, so chewing
it in public shouldn't be a problem, who's to know your gnawing on
gum and not rice cakes. :lol:

Have fun!
Thanks Greenout, me thinks I'll eat a lot of chocolate then (I'm kind of addicted at the moment :eek: )

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Just checking in ;)

I'm back in Toronto for a day or two (escape from Hicksville) before I have to go back to work. I'm in the middle of deciding what to do with my education (engineering/healthcare/liberal arts?). You know what they say about a jack-of-all-trades :eek:

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
viggen said:
Just checking in ;)

I'm back in Toronto for a day or two (escape from Hicksville) before I have to go back to work. I'm in the middle of deciding what to do with my education (engineering/healthcare/liberal arts?). You know what they say about a jack-of-all-trades :eek:
Hi Mr. Viggen :wavey:

I don't know how education works up there in Canada but I think the general rule here is that it's better to get a B.S. than a B.A. Of course, in my infinite wisdom, I got a B.A.

I'm still unemployed at the moment (was sick for a while...but, really, I'm lazy). I'm also very, very, very indecisive...about practically everything. I had a music teacher who told me years ago that my huge problem was that I never CHOSE anything, and that I could have been better at *anything* had I just picked it and concentrated. I kind of dismissed it at the time because I think he was trying to rope me into more piano lessons.

Beginning to have regrets about my major. All the courses I took really geared me towards web design (content providing), technically producing TV commercials, designing powerpoint presentations. But, well, I don't really want to do any of that anymore....but probably will for a couple of years and then decide again if I want to continue with that, go to "Community" to take the requisite science courses and go to Cytology School.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys are making me feel ignorant once again :p
What is B.A. (
:shrug: ;) )
and what is B.S. ??

I kinda have the same problem. I chose law school 2 years ago, and I'm doing fine, but I often have doubt, shouldn't I have chosen Arabic language and Litterature, Romance languages etc. ... :shrug: Should I study music and try to become a professional conductor :shrug: ...

But let's not forget those are 'luxury problems' :)

·
Registered
11,084 Posts
Ok, my turn ;)

It's June over here, supposed to be summer time, but the weather sucks. It's not only raining every day, it's damn cold as well :sad: We wanna have some sun!!!
Because of that I cought a little flu, so now sitting at home, trying to get my energu back!

I graduated from university yesterday, recieved my grade document. Now I don't know what to do next...
I need to find a job, and I can't decide if I should continue to study to recieve magister grade.
Education is expensive here, but I studied for free before, cos government payed for me, some kind of stypendy ;) (They played for some others too).
But now there're less & less free places, so I'll probably have to pay for it, and I'm not sure pur education is worth it. :(
Need to make some serious decisions this week, but the flu take all the thinking energy out of me. ;)
And there's no Justine to raise my adranaline level :lol:

·
Registered
11,084 Posts
cynicole said:
I'm still unemployed at the moment (was sick for a while...but, really, I'm lazy). I'm also very, very, very indecisive...about practically everything. I had a music teacher who told me years ago that my huge problem was that I never CHOSE anything, and that I could have been better at *anything* had I just picked it and concentrated. I kind of dismissed it at the time because I think he was trying to rope me into more piano lessons.
OMG! :eek: You almost described me :eek:
But I think I'm more lazy then undecisive... But when I commit I usually succeed, I guess that really spoiled me...

Oh, lightning again :mad: Remember, I mentioned the weather ;)

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
pigam said:
You guys are making me feel ignorant once again :p

What is B.A. ( :shrug: ;) )
and what is B.S. ??
B.A. - Bachelor of the Arts (Art, Literature, etc.)
B.S. - Bachelor of Science (Biology, Chemistry, Engineering, etc.)

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Lady said:
OMG! :eek: You almost described me :eek:
But I think I'm more lazy then undecisive... But when I commit I usually succeed, I guess that really spoiled me...
I sort of fall into things by accident or circumstance. Someone usually has to kick my butt to get me involved. But more than 9 times out of 10 I usually succeed.

1 - 20 of 1035 Posts