Tennis Forum banner
2741 - 2760 of 2769 Posts

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
She is in the third section of the TOP half of the draw for Wimbledon, plays Magda Linette.

(3) Svitolina v Van Uytvanck
Linette v AMANDA
(Q) Tsurenko v Putinseva
Bolsova v (30) Badosa
(19) Muchova v Zhang
Teichmann v Giorgi
Kr Pliskova v Kovinic
Bogdan v (16) Pavlyuchenkova

Tough, but Svitty in round 2 if she gets there is not in the greatest form, so we will see.
Magda is certainly beatable, a steady player, not the worst she could have got.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
It could be worse...Svitolina will fight hard as she's defending SFs points, but she didn't look good at all in Eastbourne. Bad Homburg should give her some confidence 🙏

·
Premium Member
28,386 Posts
On paper it looks tough but Svitolina hasn’t been in great form lately and isn’t at her best on grass. You never know what can happen.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Disappointing, she should've won that. Like Bianca, she needs to realize where's the problem and fix it or take a break. She looks unhappy on court, which is sad, because in Bad Homburg she looked calm for most of the time, so I hoped it's a good sign...

·
Registered
14,739 Posts
process of her matches is almost identical every time, it's question if she manages to win or not the first set but the collapse then is inevitable. if it's because of mentality, fitness or her playing style that maybe isn't sustainable over the entire match I don't know.
Same pattern again today. Lost to Magda Linette 62 36 16. I'm not entirely sure where the problem lies but this is a problem for sure. Can't win matches after winning the first set.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Getting pretty tragic now.... her flying out of the gate, and then completely going AWOL and flopping in the 2nd/3rd, and losing by embarrassing margins. I don't even know what to say....
Seems like the tools are all there, but since summer of 2019, hasn't shown them. Sure, in small patches, but overall, nope. Really disappointing year for her.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Magda is a very steady player, but has no major weapons, from midway through set 2, Amanda looked always likely to lose.
It looked like she got the trainer out at the start of the third set, not sure what for, only for a couple of minutes, but she didn't seem hindered at all. There wasn't any commentary of the match, so hard to tell, but it wasn't a factor in her loss.

·
Premium Member
28,386 Posts
While my initial reaction was disappointment and anger I think it’s important to reflect how hard a time it is for everyone at the moment. Amanda is trying her best but clearly struggling so I think support is what is important. Whether a break from the game is best she needs or a continued grind until she finds her feet…only she knows.

·
Registered
14,739 Posts
Magda beat Svitolina handily in the next round too. Not sure whether to feel happy or unhappy about that. On the one hand, it shows that Magda is indeed playing well. On the other hand, it highlights the opportunities Amanda is missing. Right now slams are very open for the women.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Magda played well and had a clear lead to win today as well. So not the worst loss in the world, indeed, and she stated that she was unlucky to get sick because she played well in Bad Homburg. Still, let's not decide that there's been something wrong with her mentality/attitude for a while, now. Now, a short break and then US swing.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Amanda back on court in the WTA500 San Jose starting on Monday.

The top 4 seeds who have byes are Mertens, Rybakina, Keys & Kasatkina.

Amanda plays Tomljanovic with a possible 2nd round against either Vekic/(8)Putintseva, so no easy matches here.
Mertens is in her Quarter.
Let's hope she's rested and fit and ready for a very important American swing.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Yeah, I mean it's not even a tough field for 500 level, so Tomjlanovic is an ok R1. I hope she will get it together for American swing, if not I think it would be good for her to take a break for Asian swing and take as much time as she needs to find her way.

·
Premium Member
28,386 Posts
I wish she was playing the 125 in Concord USA instead…I think playing the two 125s and winning plenty of matches (hopefully) would have been better for her and what she needs right now. The game is there…it’s learning to win matches again.

2741 - 2760 of 2769 Posts