Tennis Forum banner

2681 - 2700 of 2720 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,306 Posts
Yes Amanda really should get through here in straights if she plays like yesterday. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Yes Amanda really should get through here in straights if she plays like yesterday. Fingers crossed.
She did, 6-2, 6-4.
Not as commanding as yesterday, but she always had it under control, AKS defended really great.
Still hit the ball well, just had a couple of games each set where she was a little lazy.
First time in 2021 she has won back to back matches.
Plays either Gauff or Giorgi on Thursday.

·
Premium Member
28,306 Posts
Great to see another straights sets back to back win. It’s likely she will be get Gauff next which will come with a very unique set of pressures.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
doubt amanda has enough confidence to beat coco right now, hopefully she can put a fight like match with andreescu. a beatdown would be very bad sign.

·
Registered
192 Posts
She lost 3-6, 3-6. Lost 6 games in a row from 3-0 in the second. Watched the match and she was mostly playing bad. Didn't serve well, too many errors off the baseline. Coco was way too consistent today for Amanda.

·
Premium Member
28,306 Posts
Pretty disappointing result...I have only watched the highlights and they seem to paint a rosier picture of how the match went. It was always going to be a tall order to win but I did think it would be closer. I guess at least she won 2 matches here.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Amanda led in both sets and was up 3-0 in the second before losing the final 6 games. She played well in spurts, but once again she hits one bad shot and gets mad and starts spraying shots everywhere. I feel like she is pressing, maybe feeling the pressure of her ranking? I'm not sure, but I hope she is able to turn it around soon. She's still young, I think she'll be fine!

·
Premium Member
28,306 Posts
Maybe once the RG points come off the pressure will also be off and it’s almost like she can start again. I’m hoping that will be the case anyway

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
So here's Amanda's little section for Roland Garros,

Andreescu(6)
Zidansek,
Brengle,
Q,
Bouzkova,
Siniakova,
AMANDA,
Kudermetova (29)

Osaka is right at the bottom.

Tough draw, Kudermetova has been a form player this year, playing consistently, so Amanda needs to be on her game early. She could have drawn a worse seed, so it is what it is.
If she ended up playing Bianca in the third round, that would be a good achievement.
She will have her 2019 semi-final points drop off, so any wins will be welcome.

·
Premium Member
28,306 Posts
Not the worst draw she could have received but at the same time she is going to have to be absolutely on it to have any chance right from round one. The thing is...she hasn’t been in awful form this year...she had had tough draws and tested good players she just hasn’t been able to get across the line.

·
Registered
14,705 Posts
Very tough draw. In her current form I don't expect Amanda to take Veronika out, defending semis points probably won't help her mentally but perhaps being at RG will spark something in her. Vero is tough and has been in good form for about a year, she's had big wins during that time, Amanda would need to hit the kind of stellar form that took her to the semis 2 years ago to beat her.

·
Premium Member
28,306 Posts
If she does lose and her rankings drops I hope she finally exhales and relaxes and can use it as a bit of a restarting point. The pressure would be well and truely off then.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Amanda is last match on court 9. ( which is on sunday)

There are 2 men's matches than a ladies singles before she's up, so who knows when she'll get on. LOL

·
Premium Member
28,306 Posts
Bugger...last match of the day when it’s RG means she might not get if the weather isn’t 100%. Gosh I wish they would ditch best if 5 fir the men and bring everyone to best of 3.

·
Registered
14,705 Posts
Lost a close first set (tiebreak), now down 4-0 in the second... in a big hole. As I thought, Veronika is a real tough cookie right now. She's got a big game with athleticism to back it up. Really unfortunate first round match up, I like both girls and expect big things from both of them in the future, but right now it seems Vero's form is better.

Edit: Amanda lost 6 and 1. Vero served much better than her and she also used her superior court coverage to great effect. Amanda lacks that kind of athleticism so she really needs to be striking the ball supremely to beat a player like this. She needs to make up for a difference in athleticism with an equal difference in ball striking. She can do that... but not lately. Also, Vero hits the ball very well herself, and on a good day, like today, she can beat just about anyone (I remember watching Vero take both Svitolina and Karo Pliskova with some great tennis). She also needs to serve better and dominate more of her service games. Of course, had she won the first set, it would have been quite a different match.

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
F###!!!! This is not how I wanted her FO SF defense of points to go. Had chances in that 1st set... but now this 2nd set is tragic... welp... drop down, now stay healthy and work yourself back up. Sucks.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Kudermetova is good and is in form, but it still hurts to see her lose in R1 of RG like that. We don't know what is wrong; is it her lacking team, her private life, her work ethic, but I hope she fixes it, it's been way too long since a decent result...The fall in rankings will be sad, but maybe it will help her.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Being invested in Sabalenka's match, I really only saw the last 5 minutes or so, but a disappointing day.
I don't know Amanda's schedule, but with so many ranking points dropping off, maybe she should start her grass court season next week in Nottingham and try to both get some form for Wimbledon, and get as many points as she can for her ranking.?

2681 - 2700 of 2720 Posts