Tennis Forum banner

2661 - 2680 of 2720 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,306 Posts
Thanks for the assessment of the match. I think it’s hard to have any expectations at the moment. The losses continue to be disheartening but at the same time she pushed a top 20 player to the edge.

·
Premium Member
28,306 Posts
I sometimes think Amanda would benefit from a change of racket too. She plays with such a light frame it would have to contribute to the control issues at times. I’d love her to try a slightly heavier, thinner beamed and smaller head sized racket. I’m really not a fan of the racket she plays with.

·
Premium Member
28,306 Posts
Amanda has a better draw in Rome than Madrid but every match is tough at the moment

12) G. Muguruza vs. A. Pavlyuchenkova
(Q) vs. M. Sakkari
Q. Wang vs. A. Anisimova
(5) E. Svitolina vs. BYE

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Amanda beat Wang in straight sets.7-5 6-3
Quite a solid effort, never in any real trouble but her break point conversion was awful, 3/10.
Her first serve % was excellent, and she won 100% on her second.

Her Mauve outfit I thought looked really nice, but hey, what would I know, I'm no fashionista.

·
Premium Member
28,306 Posts
I know it hasn’t been that long since her last win but that’s a nice relief. Hopefully she can go into her next match with nothing to lose and play free. It will be tough but not impossible. As long as she stays healthy I have faith that this year is salvageable.

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
I know it hasn’t been that long since her last win but that’s a nice relief. Hopefully she can go into her next match with nothing to lose and play free. It will be tough but not impossible. As long as she stays healthy I have faith that this year is salvageable.
I mean, at this point, that really is the key. Since her French SF, it seems like she has been stop and start since. She just needs an extended period of good health and lots of tournament play. She will be fine. In my opinion, I think with some matches in Rome/Parma, and more training before the French, she has to be considered one of the biggest unseeded and looming players out there. Unless, of course, she has a big run, and somehow manages to snag a seed, but that's a stretch.

·
Premium Member
28,306 Posts
So disappointing yet encouraging at the same time. Amanda loses 6-2 3-6 4-6

Urgh...this is becoming a bit of a habit for Amanda but at least she is pushing these top players. If only she could get that breakthrough

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
would like to know if she ever hold a serve in her entire career on 4-5 in the decisive set....

other than that I don't know what to say, I think time for excuses should end very soon, I mean if expectations are high about her...

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
She had a great chance today, because Svitty was quite irritable today, but come the crunch Elena played better.
Now if Amanda had played Osaka today......

·
Premium Member
28,306 Posts
Great...Serena has entered Parma. With Bianca out I was hoping Amanda would sneak in a seed and looking at the rest of the field I thought she had a great chance to go very deep or even win. This throws a spanner into the works.

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Great...Serena has entered Parma. With Bianca out I was hoping Amanda would sneak in a seed and looking at the rest of the field I thought she had a great chance to go very deep or even win. This throws a spanner into the works.
Grrrr... I know... Riske seems to be a likely withdrawal though, with her foot injury. Looks like Amanda would be #8 seed, unless some higher ranked WC also joins

·
Premium Member
28,306 Posts
Not the worst draw in the world but it’s also pretty tough for a WTA 250. She is going to have to hit her straps pretty early.

Serena Williams (1/wc) vs Q
Katerina Siniakova vs Clara Tauson
Arantxa Rus vs Viktorija Golubic
Q vs Caroline Garcia (8)

Cori Gauff (3) vs Kaia Kanepi
Camila Giorgi vs Christina McHale
Q vs Venus Williams (wc)
Jasmine Paolini vs Amanda Anisimova (5)

Sara Sorribes Tormo (7) vs Bernarda Pera
Ana Bogdan vs Sara Errani
Q vs Sloane Stephens
Su-Wei Hsieh vs Daria Kasatkina (4)

Qiang Wang (6) vs Misaki Doi
Q vs Nao Hibino
Giulia Gatto-Monticone (wc) vs Q
Varvara Gracheva vs Petra Martic (2)

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I almost missed the match with a Sunday start.
Won 6-2, 6-1.
Best match I've seen her play for ages, hit the ball beautifully, made a lovely sound off the racquet.
Served really well, 3 Aces, great serve percentage 76% FS, won 5/9 BP.
If she played like that everyday, she would be number #1.

·
Premium Member
28,306 Posts
Its great to hear she had such a good start to the tournament. I hope she can continue this form...as we all know she needs a good run to get this year back on track.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Plays AKS who beat Venus yesterday.
Final match on the grandstand court today, ( Tuesday)
With Schmeidlova's powder puff serve, Amanda really should beat her. I really like AKS, but how she survives with that serve, god only knows.

2661 - 2680 of 2720 Posts