Tennis Forum banner

2381 - 2400 of 2417 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
she and nick won their mixed, she seemed quite relaxed and nick got her to smile a bit.

i think a bit of light- hearted mixed doubles will a hyper partner will do her good, just have some fun.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
amanda's australian open came to an end when she and nick lost a third set match tiebreak 10-8.

i thought she played better today,( watched the whole match) and nick was giving her plenty of encouragement. she looked happy too.
i know nick get's a lot of flack, and some people would like amanda to stay away from him, but i think he is a very caring friend to her and i think that's great.
she has been through a hell of a lot in the last 6 months, and it's great to see a really nice friendship between them.
will they play the french mixed.?

not sure what amanda's schedule is, but we shouldn't expect too much early this year, just get onto court and play matches and enjoy tennis. RESULTS are secondary for me, new coach etc. .it must take time to get used to new people.

·
Premium Member
27,132 Posts
I just saw it...such disappointing news...makes me feel like all the talk about giving her time and seeing this as a long term project was bullshit.

·
Registered
17,906 Posts
Come back strong, Amanda.

I'm so sorry that the Carlos arrangement didn't work out, whatever the reason was. I'm not going to blame either Carlos or Amanda, because who knows what happened? Could even have been someone on Amanda's team pulling strings behind the scenes, but I hope not. Best of luck to her, whoever she ends up working with. She's a great kid and it'll be good to hear when she settles into a long-term coaching relationship that works all around. Onward ...

·
Registered
84,910 Posts
WTA Dubai Main Draw

[1] Simona Halep (ROU) vs. Bye
[WC] Ons Jabeur (TUN) vs. Alison Riske (USA)
Elise Mertens (BEL) vs. Wang Qiang (CHN)
[7] Aryna Sabalenka (BLR) vs. Maria Sakkari (GRE)

[3] Elina Svitolina (UKR) vs. [WC] Garbine Muguruza (ESP)
Marketa Vondrousova (CZE) vs. Anastasija Sevastova (LAT)
Dayana Yastremska (UKR) vs. Qualifier
[6] Kiki Bertens (NED) vs. [WC] Kim Clijsters (BEL)

[8] Petra Martic (CRO) vs. Qualifier
Amanda Anisimova (USA) vs. Barbora Strycova (CZE)
Anett Kontaveit (EST) vs. Qualifier
[4] Belinda Bencic (SUI) vs. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS)

[5] Sofia Kenin (USA) vs. [SE] Elena Rybakina (KAZ)
Karolina Muchova (CZE) vs. Qualifier
Qualifier vs. Qualifier
[2] Karolina Pliskova (CZE) vs. Bye

what a draw. No easy matches here

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
if was in the same shape of Australian Open 2019 she could even reach the SF with a draw like that but giving the circumstances I really don't expect anything, hope she wins at least a couple of matches between here and Doha.

·
Registered
84,910 Posts
Opening match on CC tomorrow

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
A moody and inconsistent performance, losing 67 62 46 against Strycova.

I thought she was going to win after she took control of the second set and she even had the 3-1 lead in the third.

When Amanda's mood and focus is not right she makes more errors than usual. Her mind is still not in the right place yet to play her best.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
i know it was hot, and she bent over a lot to recover, but is she tennis fit. she's not the best mover out there.

i'm not sure if she is actually enjoying being on court. as we know, she's been through so much, i just think she should take some time off, be a teenager with her friends and enjoy life for a bit.
i may be totally wrong about everything, but i get a vibe that not everything is right with her.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Nike and IMG with their stupid marketing should stop to push her cause right now she's just not in the position to sustain that pressure. She's not Pova, Max better to realize that soon.

·
Premium Member
27,132 Posts
Poor Amanda...I fear this year is going to be suoer tough for her...the expectations, the hype, her fathers death and her game not quite being there. Hopefully she has some good people around her who can support her and get her through this really tough period in her life. Not everyone can handle this level of scrutiny and hype the way Serena and Maria did from an early age. That takes a very specific type of person.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
^
Agreed...she looked so distraught out there, right from the very first game. In spite of the frustration (and some Naomi-like racquet kicking), she managed to turn things around in the 2nd. After getting the early lead in the 3rd, I figured the match was in the bag. Sadly, she couldn't hang in there.

I've noticed the effects of mental struggles on a lot of my faves lately. Pressure adds a new layer of difficulty, and players like Strycova are good enough to take advantage.

·
Registered
84,910 Posts
Doha

[1] Barty vs BYE
Q vs (SR) Shvedova
Van Uytvanck vs Hercog
(WC) Cirstea vs [14] Rybakina
[11] Muguruza vs Q
Q vs Tomljanovic
Yastremska vs Q
BYE vs [6] Kenin