1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kuznetsova Withdraws From Charleston

Tennis Week
04/06/2007

Svetlana Kuznetsova is the latest former Grand Slam champion to withdraw from the Family Circle Cup field. The 2004 U.S. Open champion pulled out of next week's Tier I Charleston clay-court event citing a right wrist injury.

Kuznetsova joins top-ranked Justine Henin and former World No. 1 players Amélie Mauresmo and Maria Sharapova in withdrawing from Charleston.

"I am really disappointed to have to withdraw from the Family Circle Cup because of an injury to my right wrist," said Kuznetsova in a statement. "I was very much looking forward to playing this great event, and hope to be back next year. I am focused on recovering as quickly as possible so I can get back competing on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour."

The tournament still boasts 11 of the top 20 players, including reigning Australian Open and Miami champion Serena Williams. Martina Hingis and Venus Williams are also entered in the $1.34 million event.

·
Registered
10,056 Posts
Pfft, no top 5 players now :eek:

I hope Sveta's wrist heals quickly :)

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I expected her to withdraw from this tournament after I read her Indian Wells press conference interview.

·
Registered
20,122 Posts
Ouch at Charleston's field.

·
26,933 Posts
"I am really disappointed to have to withdraw from the Family Circle Cup because of an injury to my right wrist," said Kuznetsova in a statement. "I was very much looking forward to playing this great event, and hope to be back next year. I am focused on recovering as quickly as possible so I can get back competing on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour."
Gotta love these heartfelt withdrawal notes from the players. :lol:

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
oh man :sad:

·
Premium Member
40,059 Posts
Ree, Vee, 'Tina, and Shahar

I think the field is still strong :shrug:

I do think, however, it got THAT much easier for Ree to win another title :yeah:

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
I hope Venus isn't next.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
I'm sorry, but no way should Hingis be the top seed in a Tier I. :eek: That's just really bad. :tape:

·
Premium Member
40,059 Posts
True :shrug: but Serena's in the top 4 to make it all better ;)

·
it's just me against the music.
27,330 Posts
Ouch. We had a great field, too! Now it's Serena, Venus, Martina. I have a feeling Petrova will be taking a WC .. It's just me. Now she can defend it more easily. We'll see!

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Ouch. We had a great field, too! Now it's Serena, Venus, Martina. I have a feeling Petrova will be taking a WC .. It's just me. Now she can defend it more easily. We'll see!

I have the same feeling, but I hope she does not enter the tournament. She would be playing with fire once again if she plays four consecutive tournaments without any rest.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have the same feeling, but I hope she does not enter the tournament. She would be playing with fire once again if she plays four consecutive tournaments without any rest.
I think this will depends on today match, losing today will mean rank 12 after Charleston at best. And also a day more rest...

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think this will depends on today match, losing today will mean rank 12 after Charleston at best. And also a day more rest...
I hope she doesn't fall to Safina. I like Henin , but I am tired of seeing her winning RG again and again. Petrova has the game to stop her and she needs to win AI to build a confedence into RG.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts