1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guga Withdraws From Acapulco, Considers Surgery Following French Open

Gustavo Kuerten By Richard Pagliaro
02/21/2002

Hampered by a chronic hip injury, defending champion Gustavo Kuerten withdrew from next week's Acapulco Open and said it's likely he will undergo surgery to correct his hip condition following the French Open in the spring.

"I am currently undergoing physiotherapy, but I think I will have to undergo an operation after the French Open," the three-time French Open champion said. "I had to pull out of Acapulco because I am only 60 percent fit."

Should Kuerten undergo surgery he could face a lengthy period of rehabilitation. Sweden's Magnus Norman underwent hip surgery in August and returned to tournament tennis for the first time since the surgery last week.

The former No. 1 has struggled with his health since the 2001 U.S. Open. A limping Kuerten went down meekly to Yevgeny Kafelnikov in a straight set setback in the U.S. Open quarterfinals and has won only one of the 12 matches he's played since that loss.

The 25-year-old Brazilian returned to tournament tennis yesterday and suffered a 6-3, 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (7-4) setback to Argentina's Agustin Calleri in the opening round of the AT&T Cup in Buenos Aires, Argentina. It was only the second match of the year for the second-ranked Kuerten, who was beaten by Julien Boutter of France in the first round of the Australian Open 3-6, 4-6, 7-5, 6-3, 6-3.

Following that loss, Kuerten considered surgery for his sore right hip, but opted instead to undergo physical therapy for the injury.

"The pressure and the injury were not the problem; it was a matter of rhythm," Kuerten said. "The head has to work as well as the body. That will come with time and more matches. I don't want to blame the result on the injury. That has nothing to do with today's loss."

Kuerten's injury was originally diagnosed as a groin pull, but Dr. Marcos Contreras, who has worked with Kuerten since 1997, concluded that the injury is to Kuerten's hip and not his groin.

"It is not an injury in the groin/pubis," Dr. Contreras said. "Sometimes there were tendonitis in the thigh's aductors, but right now there aren't any clinical exams showing this tendonitis. The pain in the groin is an irradiation of the injury in the right hip. There is an injury that form a small flap. In certain moves, a small piece of this structure can be interposed in the articulation, causing pain and a mechanical lack of equilibrium in this articulation."

·
Premium Member
182,394 Posts
oh poor Guga :(

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I want guga to get well and be fit for the french open. I want to see a Juan Carlos - Gustavo final (not semifinal!!!) with the better end for JUAN CARLOS, of course. :kiss: :hearts: :kiss:

·
Miss Verstand
16,531 Posts
Get well soon Guga :D

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Guga Undergoes Surgery

No word on when Kuerten will return to the ATP circuit

Gustavo Kuerten underwent hip surgery Tuesday in an effort to correct the injury that has plagued him since late last year. Through his publicist, Kuerten released a short statement Wednesday: "I had the surgery yesterday late afternoon and it was a great success. I am resting now and I ask everyone to respect my quietness at this moment. Thanks for your cooperation and concern."

Publicist Diana Gabanyi said that more information and details on the arthroscopy would be released next week.

There is no word yet on when Kuerten expects to return to the practice court or when he hopes to return to the ATP circuit.

Beginning with his loss to Yevgeny Kafelnikov in the quarterfinals of the US Open last September, an ailing Kuerten has lost 11 of his past 12 matches. The three-time Roland Garros champion and inaugural winner of the ATP Champions Race in 2001 has played just two matches this season. He lost to Frenchman Julien Boutter at the Australian Open after leading two sets to love and last week he lost a third-set tie-break to eventual finalist Agustin Calleri in the first round of Buenos Aires, where Kuerten was the defending champion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.