Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
100 straight losses!!!:eek:

Consistent Kournikova 0-for-99
Odds are against it, but the quest for her first title goes on

Sean Fitz-Gerald
National Post, with files from news services
Anna Kournikova, the tennis temptress whose courtships tend to garner more attention than her shot selection, has completed her 99th WTA Tour singles event in the same way she ended the previous 98.

She lost.

The 20-year-old starlet, who is infamous for making millions of dollars from endorsements while failing to win a single WTA event, was beaten 6-1, 6-4 today by Israel's Anna Smashnova in the semi-finals of the ASB Bank Classic in Auckland, New Zealand.

Few top-ranked women showed up for the low-profile US$140,000 hardcourt tournament, but then Kournikova is no longer one of them.

Her WTA Tour ranking fell from eighth to 71st last year after a stress fracture on her left foot kept her sidelined for eight months.

Despite her low ranking, Kournikova remains the focal point wherever she plays.

Gallons of ink were spilled last year when reports circulated that she was set to wed Detroit Red Wings star Sergei Fedorov.

"While I don't typically comment on my personal life, let me confirm once again that I am not married," she wrote on her Web site. "I can't be any clearer on this subject and I hope the rumours will stop."

Her celebrity had organizers gushing in November when she agreed to play in New Zealand.

"This is a huge day for the tournament and the sporting public of New Zealand," said Richard Palmer, director of the ASB Bank Classic. "It is fair to say both on and off the court she is an extremely talented 20-year-old, known and admired, if not adored, world-wide."

Today's defeat was no surprise to bookies. Last week, Britain's William Hill rated Kournikova 1-2 to remain without a title in 2002 -- meaning a $10 winning bet would make a $5 profit.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
A pity the article is not accurate.. she has not played 99 tournaments..

Oh and as for the odds, $1.50 not to win, which means she is at $2.40 to win a tournament in 2002..

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Can't speak for the odds, but they are right about the tournaments. They counted Fed Cup, which some folks do.

With Fed Cup, it IS 99 tournaments.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
OMG... 99 :eek:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Volcana said:
Can't speak for the odds, but they are right about the tournaments. They counted Fed Cup, which some folks do.

With Fed Cup, it IS 99 tournaments.
The Fed Cup is a tournament?? gee some people have not got a clue..

Well since she has won a few ties in the fed Cup, that means she has won a tournament now???
Plus in 2000 she lost all of her matches, so that's counts as 3 tournamnets according to Volcana

I don't know why i bother, people like you, just don't have any idea.. you are taking BS again, but that's nothing new...

She has played 91 tournaments.. (Main Draw)

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
How many ways can the press re-hash the fact that Anna hasn't won a title yet.

Jeez, let me see.... there's the 'she earns all this dough from endorsements, but...' angle. The 'she's been a senior pro for 6 years, but...' angle. Now we have the slow tick-by for every tournament she enters.

:rolleyes:

Good luck to Anna in Sydney, though I'm not a fan particularly. As long as she plays good tennis, and can look to improve.

Reactions: Meelis

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
That is an unpleasant article :(

100 straight losses - they make it sound like she's never won a match !!!

Talk about melodramatic over-exaggeration :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Stop the Hate

While I am not the biggest fan of Anna, I am sooooo tired of the media and everyone else hating on her. Yea, she hasn't won a singles title, there are plenty of players on the wta tour that have not won a title, she has at least won a number of double titles, does that not count for anything. God made Anna's looks, not Anna, so she attractive, when did that become such a horrible thing. Yea, she makes millions of dollars every year based more on her looks than her tennis, so what, are you guys hating on supermodels also. Please, please, please give the woman a break, this topic of her not winning a tournament yet is sooooo old and boring.

·
HAND SCRAPED
7,145 Posts
She's been doubles #1 in the world.

Best player on the entire planet in doubles.

Hardly something to turn your nose up at.

And if you (like I right now) wanna nitpick, the article says "99th WTA Tour singles event"... I thought Fed Cup was only ITF... which surely means the facts are wrong anyway?

Might have a little check on records myself cos I have nothing better to do this week.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
My wish for Anna is for her to play a full schedule and to remain injury-free in 2002. It doesn't matter to me if she doesn't win a tournament. What matters is that she always gives her best and never gives up. Winning a tournament would be a bonus, but with or without one, she still has my support.

I usually don't care much for these silly little reports about Anna, but when they so clearly distort the truth for the same old repeated story, it really shows how stupid some of them are. No offense if the writer was pressured to write a sensational piece, but geez, find a different angle for your stories next time.

Reactions: Meelis

·
Team WTAworld, The Martian Llama
20,264 Posts
Oh what a surprise another one of these "so called articles", it's getting beyond a joke now. Well if Sean Fitzgerald, the guy who wrote it, if he thinks Anna is such a bad tennis player, then why doesn't he play a match against Anna, maybe that would shut this guy up.

It shows how much he knows about tennis too, when he decides to count Fed Cup as a tournament, I'm surprised he didn't just go even further than that, and include how many matches Anna has lost in practice :mad:

It's clown's like this, that really really annoy me. :(

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
To be honest I really don't care for Anna K. I think she is a great tennis player and a hard worker but my beef comes not from the fact she never has won a singles tournament but that she spouts off with negative comments about other players, much like Martina used to do. Maybe the media baits them into making ridiculous and thoughtless remarks about other players, but they should be smart enough to avoid pitfalls like that.

The media loves to dog anna about never winning a tournament but they should at least take the responsibility of presenting accurate information. Then again, we are talking probably about 'Commentators" and not true journalists. In my mind "commentator" is another world for instigator. Anna is hardly the only person on tour not to win a tournament or a grand slam, if she sticks with it I'm sure she will succeed.

I can admire confidence, but b*tchiness just isn't cute.

cyb

·
Banned
1,870 Posts
cybelledarkholmexx said:
........I think she is a great tennis player and a hard worker but my beef comes not from the fact she never has won a singles tournament but that she spouts off with negative comments about other players, much like Martina used to do. Maybe the media baits them into making ridiculous and thoughtless remarks about other players, but they should be smart enough to avoid pitfalls like that.
hi cyb, just wondering what negative comments are we talking about?
cos i may just have missed these comments so i have the impression that anna usually doesn't talk bad about anyone...even after her lossses in matches

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,022 Posts
Maybe they count qualifying losses too? That would make some sense.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Well they certainly have counted Fed Cup loses where there are 5, 1 Olympic lost and she has had 3 qualifying loses.. so from her 91 tournaments (not including Sydney she had had 90 loses (one W/O).

So this is the 99 loses

90 Main Draw loses
5 Fed Cup loses
1 Olympic lost
3 Qualifying loses

99 total

1 - 20 of 22 Posts