Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite her injuries and absence from the tour, Anna Kournikova still knows how to make money from tennis.

http://www.tennisbc.org/news/default.html?id=133

If she can play an exhibition match, her back cannot be that bad. To me, she is not really eager to return to the grind of the tour, if promoters can woo her with guaranteed fat cheques for exhibition matches similar to the one in Vancouver, where the least expensive ticket in the 15-thousand seat arena is $35.

· stubborn procrastinator
123,776 Posts
What I'm more curious about is how does Lindsay's surgery fit into this schedule? The exhibition match is supposed to be played on November 14. So, does that mean Lindsay expects to be recovered from surgery enough to be ready to play in November already? :unsure:

· Registered
122,512 Posts
How Anna serves in an exhibition could be very different from how she would have to serve in a WTA match.
Plus, if she has a good draw and won, Anna might have to play the next day.
Plus the injury exemption.
There's a lot going on besides singles exo vs. singles WTA.

· Don't mess with Texas!
4,900 Posts
I bet she took Monica's spot against Lindsay.

· Registered
27,056 Posts
I'm sure AK is trying to show that she will be healthy enough for her to play after her back problems and the baby.

· Registered
3,613 Posts
I'm not suprised that Anna is doing the exhibition tour but I am surprised at Lindsay because of her foot and possible surgery.

I spent money on Anna vs. Jenn a few years ago for an exhibition and will never do it again! IMO, it's a waste of money.

· Registered
122,512 Posts
Was that the Tampa exhibition right before Jenn won her first major?
What happened?

· Banned
191 Posts
Anna crushed her. Actually, Anna's record vs. Jen is glorious, believe it or not.

· Registered
3,466 Posts
Zvonerevian said:
Anna crushed her. Actually, Anna's record vs. Jen is glorious, believe it or not.
I wouldn't say that Anna crushed her. I believe the scoreline was 6-4, 7-5. Anna does have a good record against Jennifer 3-1. I believe that Anna knows how to mix things up against Jennifer and that is why she frustrates Jenn.

However, I would like to point out that Jennifer went on to win the Australian Open, for the second time, a couple of months later. Don't get me wrong. Exhibitions are great, but I wouldn't say that they are a fair indicator of what a player is capable of.

· Registered
3,613 Posts
It's just not competitive. I never really heard of exo's so I thought it was going to be like a real match. I was expecting to see them running down balls, etc... A few months after that I went to the Sarasota Open and was amazed at the level of intensity and play. At the EXO, Both players appeared to be in a rush to go home and it lasted around an hour. I spent two hours driving to the arena and one hour at the arena and a two hour ride home.

· Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,291 Posts
Lelu said:
Despite her injuries and absence from the tour, Anna Kournikova still knows how to make money from tennis.

http://www.tennisbc.org/news/default.html?id=133

If she can play an exhibition match, her back cannot be that bad. To me, she is not really eager to return to the grind of the tour, if promoters can woo her with guaranteed fat cheques for exhibition matches similar to the one in Vancouver, where the least expensive ticket in the 15-thousand seat arena is $35.
The exhibition will be in November, so in 2 months! She said she wanted to come back in the beginning of 2004, so she will probably already be training in November and an exhibition match is always a good way to know how you're doing. And really, you are talking like she can't play a match for the rest of her life, if that was the case she would have retired, don't you think?

Go Anna! :hearts:

· Registered
2,579 Posts
Obviously she's try to keep her rankings protected (or at least not worsen it) by not playing the rest of the year.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.