Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Accorind to megakournikova.com

May 16th 2003
-Anna accepted a wildcard for the tournament in Birmingham, UK, to be played two weeks before Wimbledon.

I hope this is true!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Does a tennis expert like erm THEBOILED EGG know anything?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Well it isn't a rumour at all, she actually is going to be playing, I doubt she is going to need a WC though, as her ranking is clearly above the cutoff, she will more than likely take the spot of one of the initial entries when they don't play (unlikely that all the initial commitment players actually play)

BTW here is an article about it:

Tennis: DFS coup as Kournikova agrees to Priory visit

May 16, 2003 10:35am

Anna Kournikova has confirmed that she will compete at the DFS Classic at Edgbaston Priory next month after being offered a wildcard.

The 21-year-old Russian, whose fall from No 8 in the world to No 70 in 2 1 /2 years has caused surprise on the women's tour, will use the event as preparation for Wimbledon.

Kournikova is more famous for her model looks and film-star aspirations than her tennis and her presence is sure to boost ticket sales, especially earlier in the week.

This a coup for the organisers who have also announced that a number of top-50 players - including Alexandra Stevenson, the 1999 Wimbledon semi-finalist, and Nicole Pratt, the top Australian - will join Kournikova in the main draw.

Chris Shaw, the press officer of the Lawn Tennis Association (LTA), said that Kournikova's decision to come to Birmingham is proof of the tournament's status and a coup for the sport in Britain.

'We are delighted to confirm that Anna Kournikova has requested and been granted entry to the DFS Classic,' Shaw said. 'This is a boost to the tournament and we would expect that ticket sales reflect her involvement.'

Kournikova shot to fame when, as a 16-year-old, she reached the semi-final of Wimbledon in 1997 and was tipped to attain the world No 1 ranking while still in her teens.

However, while her flowing blonde her and chiselled features have made her a favourite among the public, her tennis never matched the image. She has still never won a professional singles title.

The tournament, which lasts from June 9-15, is a highlight of the Birmingham sporting calendar and always attracts some of the best players in the world.

It is unlikely that Jelena Dokic, the Serb who defeated Anastasia Myskina in the final last year, will return to defend her title but the organisers remain happy with the list of entries for 2003.

The top seed is Elena Dementieva of Russia (world ranked 13), with Eleni Daniilidou of Greece (14), and Elena Bovina of Russia (20) among the favourites.

Liverpool will host a three-day indoor event (June 13-15) in the week before Wimbledon after being refused permission to host a grass-court tournament.

The original Liverpool International Tournament was cancelled after the Association of Tennis Professionals, in consultation with the LTA, refused to let it clash with another tournament in Nottingham.

Anders Borg, the promoter, called off the pre-Wimbledon tournament after the ATP refused to waive the rule that prevents their top 50 players competing in a tournament within 100 miles of an officially sanctioned event.

And the ATP claim that Liverpool lies within 100 miles of Nottingham 'as the crow flies', although the Calderstones Park venue is 106 miles by road from the Nottingham Tennis Centre, which is staging the Samsung Open from June 16-22.

The LTA and ATP agreed to waive the rule for the event last year, which was won by Marat Safin, but only on the understanding it was a one-off. This matter is disputed by Borg and this is being investigated by the Office of Fair Trading.

Publication: The Birmingham Post

http://hoovnews.hoovers.com/fp.asp?layout=displaynews&doc_id=NR20030516670.4_36b50011c875ada1

·
Premium Member
181,837 Posts

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
ajayares said:
It is unlikely that Jelena Dokic, the Serb who defeated Anastasia Myskina in the final last year, will return to defend her title but the organisers remain happy with the list of entries for 2003.
This is the news I am happiest about. Jelena needs to take a week off soon! She's supposed to be cutting down her schedule!!!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
is her decision some kind of a surprise?*confused*

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
Typical lazy Anna.

Is she delibrately selfish? She could easily have entered here and then withdrew if needbe, but no she needs all the attention recieveing a wild card brings. And what is teh result? One more Brit gets ignored, desptie the fact they have got far better results than Anna this year, and on current form, the top 6 brits could give Anna a pretty good thrashing - especially as Birmingham are teh perfect grass courts for a Brit, quick, and rather uneven ;)

The Tournament Directors aren't expecting her to show up though, and although they are pleased she accepted the wild card, are also very angry she didn't commit in the first place. It's just plain disrespect

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
paul_masterton said:
Typical lazy Anna.

Is she delibrately selfish? She could easily have entered here and then withdrew if needbe, but no she needs all the attention recieveing a wild card brings. And what is teh result? One more Brit gets ignored, desptie the fact they have got far better results than Anna this year, and on current form, the top 6 brits could give Anna a pretty good thrashing - especially as Birmingham are teh perfect grass courts for a Brit, quick, and rather uneven ;)

The Tournament Directors aren't expecting her to show up though, and although they are pleased she accepted the wild card, are also very angry she didn't commit in the first place. It's just plain disrespect
What trash you have just typed, I am sure alot of thought went into that :rolleyes:, Oh they aren't expecting her to play either, I wonder how we come to this conclusion???

Perhaps if you learn something out the rules set out by the WTA you might actually learn that Anna will more than likely not require a WC at all, as it is very doubtful that every single player currently on the commitments list will actually play. You know when someone drops out, someone usually takes there spot :rolleyes:

How about next time thinking before you get your knickers in a knot over the precious brit's missing out on a WC.. do you want a tissue?

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
how do i know they dont think seh will turn up?

BEACUSE I AM WORKING THERE AND HAVE DISCUSSED THIS MATTER WITH THE TOURNAMENT OFFICER!!!!

i'm speaking trash?! Anna can't take a players spot if she hasn't entered teh event :rolleyes: She has to sign in like everyone else, and she would be put at the top of the ALTERNATES list. Then she might get into qualies, and then the main draw.

When someone withdraws, someone takes there place. But that someone actually has to be on the entry lists.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
paul_masterton said:
how do i know they dont think seh will turn up?

BEACUSE I AM WORKING THERE AND HAVE DISCUSSED THIS MATTER WITH THE TOURNAMENT OFFICER!!!!

i'm speaking trash?! Anna can't take a players spot if she hasn't entered teh event :rolleyes: She has to sign in like everyone else, and she would be put at the top of the ALTERNATES list. Then she might get into qualies, and then the main draw.

When someone withdraws, someone takes there place. But that someone actually has to be on the entry lists.

Hello anyone home??

what does this say in the article -

We are delighted to confirm that Anna Kournikova has requested and been granted entry to the DFS Classic

Wow what do you know, it looks like she has actually entered the tournament. :rolleyes:
So do you think it might be possible for her to be on top of the alternatives list now? last time I checked her ranking was inside the cutoff of around 100 for the Main Draw.

Anyway now I hope she takes one of the WC's, just to stick up the cry babies like yourself, still want your tissue??

BTW the only way she wouldn't be playing, is if she gets injured between now and the tournament, she doesn't make a habit of requesting WC's or entering tournaments and then not playing them without good reason.

·
Registered
126 Posts
They have given her a WC but what is she gona do with it? she is gonna waste it. You may say im biased but the Brits would whip her ass into shape, both Anne and Bally have got ITF titles, and Anna can't even get through a few rounds of a satelite event.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
I agree with everything Paul says! :D It is unfair that a brit will get ignored because Anna was too lazy to be bothered to enter at the same time as the other players.
But if Dokic doesn't show, then there are 2 wildcards available for Anne & Elena, after 2 may be taken by Kournikova & Myskina! If Kournikova fans have now decided to buy tickets, then you shouldn't waste your money on a week ticket but instead just purchase tickets for the first monday ;)

Good Luck to Bally & Anne, if you get in :worship:

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
omg when it syas she "has been granted entry" that means through teh wildcard :rolleyes:

The entry lists have been published and she was not on them. So although there is a strong chance she will get into teh main draw by right, i think it would have been more considerate of ehr to have been bothered to fill in a fomr (ie right her name and her dob), ticka box and then fax it.

·
Premium Member
181,837 Posts
Anna is still gold exempt and she can still enter late.
either taking the Gold Exempt WC or if one of the top players withdraw, she comes in for them.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
paul_masterton said:
omg when it syas she "has been granted entry" that means through teh wildcard :rolleyes:

The entry lists have been published and she was not on them. So although there is a strong chance she will get into teh main draw by right, i think it would have been more considerate of ehr to have been bothered to fill in a fomr (ie right her name and her dob), ticka box and then fax it.
Oh, just realised what we said above was incorrect hey?

She has entered the tournament, I am sure that isn't hard to see is it?
When they update the entries lists, closer to the tournament, I am sure her name will now appear on it. So she hasn't entered by WC only, if she can't get DE, she will get the WC, but as you say that is unlikely, because she will get in on her own ranking.

What gets me though, you complaining about nothing, she will not be taking anything away from your British girls, so what you have argued about was pointless.
Sure she could have entered on time, but she didn't, shit happens.

But I am sure you will complain again, when she actually will need a WC for Eastbourne.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
TheBoiledEgg said:
either taking the Gold Exempt WC or if one of the top players withdraw, she comes in for them.
Wouldn't she just take the spot of one of the initial entries, if they happen to withdraw?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts