Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kournikova plays through pain to reach Semifinals

May 9, 2003

SEA ISLAND -- Anna Kournikova overcame an inconsistent performance and pain in her thigh Friday to reach the semifinals of the Cloister Cup.

Kournikova, playing her first competitive tournament since injuring her left abductor muscle April 9th, defeated Sunitha Rao in the quarterfinals 6-3, 6-3.

But her thigh, tightly wrapped for the first time all week, gave her problems throughout the match.

``Today was definitely the worst day,'' said Kournikova, who will face fellow Russian Maria Sharapova in Saturday's semifinals. ``It's not doing very well.''

Playing her third match in three days, Kournikova was sluggish. She showed her frustration at times, slamming down her racket on one occasion, yelling in Russian in disgust on another. But when she needed to win points, she did.

Kournikova finished the first set with back-to-back aces, then won the final three games of the second set to take the match.

The 16-year-old Sharapova rallied to beat Kristina Brandi, 2-6, 7-5, 6-3.

Top-seeded Amy Frazier was eliminated, losing her quarterfinal match to No. 7 Christina Wheeler of Australia, 6-1, 6-1.

In the other quarterfinal, fourth-seeded Bethanie Mattek beat No. 8 Janet Lee 6-2 in the first set. Lee retired after the set with an undisclosed injury.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
OMG, Anna got 2 ACES in a row!? How many did she get overall?

·
Registered
34,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rtael said:
OMG, Anna got 2 ACES in a row!? How many did she get overall?
LOL i was going to say something about that...

thing is, when anna relaxes she has the capability of having a hard, good serve...but she never is comfortable and for some stupid reason she spins them all in...

good job, though, anna ;)

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
thanks for the credit, David :rolleyes: :wavey:

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
I was j/k, sheesh... :p

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
What if I wasn't? :rolleyes:

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
What if I was lying?

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
i think i remember reading that she was participating in the challenger events as part of the recovery [from her injury] process. so really, shes not totally healed... and this pain is expected.

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Wow, I'm so affected by that.

:wavey: mmcdonald

·
Premium Member
20,681 Posts
She is the most frequent injured player on the tour for the amount of matches she plays?! Wats with her? is she going for a Best Actress award at the OSCARS?

Anna is soo soo lame with these injuries!

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
Hope she gets well soon, i am surprised that Amy lost in that way.:eek:

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
i hope she doesn't aggravate it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts