1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kournikova Commits To Birmingham

Photo By Art Seitz By Adrianna Outlaw
05/19/2003

Anna Kournikova hopes to see some growth in her game on grass. The 78th-ranked Kournikova, who was upset in the opening-round of the recent Charlottesville Challenger last week, has committed to competing in next month's DFS Classic in Birmingham, England, a grass-court tune-up tournament for Wimbledon.

It will be Kournikova's first career appearance at Birmingham, which begins on June 9th. Elena Dementieva, who rallied from a one-set deficit to defeat Lindsay Davenport and capture the Bausch&Lomb Championships at Amelia Island last month, will be the top seed in Birmingham.

Since reaching the Wimbledon semifinals in 1997, Kournikova has has registered a 4-3 record at the grass-court Grand Slam. She reached the Wimbledon doubles semifinals last year with partner Chanda Rubin.

Once ranked as high as No. 8 in the world, Kournikova's confidence and ranking has plummeted this year as she's struggled to win matches. Committing 15 double
faults, including two in the final game, Kournikova did not hold serve in the
final set in suffering a 6-2, 6-7(5), 6-4 defeated to 384th-ranked Bruna Colosio
at the Boyd Tinsley $25,000 USTA Women's Challenger Tennis Championships at The Boar's Head Sports Club in Charlottesville, Virginia last week.

The 21-year-old Russian has not surpassed the first round of a WTA Tour tournament this year since she won her first Grand Slam match in two years with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Henrieta Nagyova in the opening round of the Australian Open in January.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Is there any way to know ahead of time which day Anna will play her first round match on? I am only going to go to the tourny for one day (probably one of the first round days), but would be gutted if I got my tickets ahead of time and then found out I wouldn't get to see her on court!

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
if there is no rain then most likely tuesday, but possibly Monday if she doesnt get a qualifier.

We won't knwo for certina until the OOP comes out for Monday's play on teh Sunday evening.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts