·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<center>
</center>

By JIM ARMSTRONG
Associated Press Writer

TOKYO (AP) -- Russia's Anna Kournikova needed two tiebreakers to upset compatriot Elena Dementieva 7-6, 7-6 and advance to the quarterfinals of the Toray Pan Pacific tennis tournament Thursday.

Dementieva, seeded No. 7, broke serve to lead 6-5 in the first set, but the 20-year-old Kournikova fought back to force the first tiebreaker, which she won 7-4 when Dementieva hit a sliced backhand into the net.

Kournikova trailed 3-0 in the second set before battling back to 4-4 and returning the match on serve. Kournikova then won the second tiebreaker 7-5.

``I think this is one of the best matches since my comeback, if not the best,'' Kournikova said. ``She hits the ball very hard and this is the first time we've played against each other so I'm very happy.''

Kournikova missed eight months due to a stress fracture in her left foot. She played in the Australian Open and lost in the first round to Justine Henin.

In other matches, second-seeded Jelena Dokic of Yugoslavia became the fourth big-name casualty of the day -- along with Magdalena Maleeva of Bulgaria and Amanda Coetzer of South Africa -- losing in straight sets to Anne Kremer of Luxembourg 7-5, 6-2.

Dokic, who sat out the Australian Open, looked rusty in her first tournament in two months. Trailing 5-2 in the second set, Dokic went down love-30 on two unforced errors and didn't recover.

``I had a lot of chances in the first set and felt I should have won it, or at least get back to 6-all,'' Dokic said. ``I haven't played in a long time and you just can't come out and play well on a tough surface like this against players who have been playing a lot.''

Kremer, ranked 32nd, will face Kournikova in the quarterfinals.

Third-seeded Monica Seles breezed past Els Callens of Belgium 6-2, 6-3 to a quarterfinal with American qualifier Alexandra After dropping the opening set, Stevenson overcame eighth-seeded Coetzer 4-6, 6-0 7-6 (3).

Thailand's Tamarine Tanasugarn defeated sixth-seeded Maleeva 6-3, 2-6, 6-2 and will face top-seeded Martina Hingis in the last eight Friday.

Fifth-seeded Silvia Farina Elia of Italy downed compatriot Rita Grande 7-5, 6-4 and will face fourth-seeded Sandrine Testud of France in the quarterfinals.

·
Registered
307 Posts
if anna goes on like this she will be able to win her first WTA tournament!!

i think she can return to the top 10!

go anna and good luck

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts